Pain med druggie?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pain med druggie?

Do any of you feel guilty in asking for pain meds?

It's been 7 months since my surgery, but sometimes i need a pain pill once in a while... I finished the prescription that my surgeon had given me, so last week when i was at my GP's appointment, i told her that i still have some pretty tough pain occasionally but i was out of meds... I've been trying to get by on Advil or aspirin, but sometimes that hardly takes the edge off even... She seemed kinda reluctant to prescribe any for me, but she did finally.... however, i'm almost afraid to take any now ... worrying that if i use them up i won't be able to get any more... I don't want anyone to think i'm taking too many or being too wimpy.

Usually i only need something after i've over-exerted by carrying my granddaughter around more than i should... It's especially hard to rise out of a chair while holding her... even more so now that she's gotten so squirmy..lol

What kind do they give you post-op?

I was wondering what most people take post-op for pain. I am awaiting surgery and can't tolerate anything with codeine as it makes me very sick. Are you allowed to take anything else besides tylenol?

Deb

Comment

JoAnn,
      It's obvious that you are not taking pain meds every day. Sounds like you rarely have to take them. Taking them on an occasional basis like that is not likely to lead to an addiction. Most people know if they have tendencies toward addiction. Doesn't sound like you do.

Keep on taking your pain meds when you really need them. I am a pharmacist, so I know a little about pain treatment. I'm sure there are those that know a lot more about pain treatment than I do, but you should not have to live in pain.

Don't feel wimpy for needing something, or taking what you need, when you genuinely need it.

Physicians are cautious because they have to be. There are a lot of junkies out there. But they should never deny you the relief you need.

There are physicians that specialize in treating pain.

You sound spunky and great!
      Hugs,
      Cheryl
      Last edited by cherylplinder; 05-25-2006, 02:22 PM.
      God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

I felt guilty about the pain meds too -I have heard so many horror stories that I was afraid to take any chances. I horded my narcotics and only took when tylenol wasn't doing the trick. I was "saving" them to stretch out the prescription for as long as possible, because I too didn't want to ask for more. I have a 6 month post op appt next Wed, and was thinking about asking for a new prescription, just to have on hand for those occassional really bad days. I think I took percoset 5/325 (5 miligrams narcotic, 325 mg tylenol).
        Meg is Spinewhine
        31 years old with thoracic curve
        Wore Boston brace as teenager, but curve continued to progress.
        Surgery on 12/13/2005 with correction from over 55 degrees to under 25 degrees. (Ya baby!)

The nitty gritty at:
        http://spinewhine.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hi Deb... Immediately after surgery they usually give you morphine in some manner i think, but before leaving the hospital, they changed me to oxycontin...I'm not sure what strength. Because i was out of town and the surgeon's office could not phone in a prescription for narcotics, they switched it to hydrocodone 10, then gradually decreased it to 7.5, then down to 5. That's what the GP gave me last week as well.

Cheryl, thank you for the reassurance. I really do try to analyze my pain before i take anything for it to be certain that it's bad enough for the 'big stuff'. If i can get by with otc ones i do. Thanks so much for your kind words...lol.. spunky? i don't know about that

Meg... I'm so glad to know i'm not the only one who 'hordes' it and tries to stretch it out to last longer..I have a horror of waking in the night in that terrible pain and not having anything to take for it!

Comment

Hi JoAnn...

I know what you mean. I hoard my vicodin, and pretty much only take it when I've got pain that is keeping me from sleeping. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. If you go through the current RX, you might consider talking with your spine surgeon instead of your PCP.

Regards,
            Linda
            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
            Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

JoAnn, I am 6 months post-op and still take my pain pills occassionally. It lasts me quite a while, but when I need it, I take it. Don't feel guilty. Use your judgment, which sounds solid! Linda

Comment

I feel that way and I haven't even had a major surgery yet. It's been years since I got any prescription for my occational headaches which fails to respont to OTC stuff... (Midrin..works wonderfully for me.. but make me all loopy... x_o)

A potential problem I see in myself is that I've tried vicodin and percocet for minor surgeries I've had in the past and niether have really worked for me. In fact.. percocet makes me itchy!!. I stayed up ALL night scratching... that was not my idea of a good night's rest. Thankfully, the meds took the edge off the pain so I felt better... but here I am thinking.. what'll happen with major post-surgical pain?!

"Umm.. that doesn't work, I'll need a higher dose or a different medication"
                ...that prob doesn't sound good..
                Last edited by green m&m; 05-25-2006, 11:42 PM.
                30 something y.o.

2003 - T45, L???
                2005 - T50, L31
                bunch of measurements between...

2011 - T60, L32
                2013 - T68, L?

Posterior Fusion Sept 2014 -- T3 - L3
                Post - op curve ~35

Comment

I had to be switched to so many medications for two of my surgeries, so they probably will try many until one does the trick. The first time I couldn't stay on morphine, it made me so dizzy and didn't even take care of my pain, so they gave me Empracets-codeine meds- that are highly addictive and were only given to me for a few weeks. Then my family doc prescribed a few more, but at about one month post op, they didn't want to give me anymore for fear of addiction, and I agreed as I hate taking pills and how loopy they make me feel as well as I don't want to get addicted. So after I took some Tylenol and the only thing they would prescribe were NSAIDs, wich we all know are big a no-no for the fusion, and fortunatley I stopped taking them since they didn't do much anyway and had weird symptoms. This last surgey again all the morphine and even codeine this time made me very dizzy, so after a few days they tried something new-it starts with Oxy(but not Oxycontin), and I took some for only a few weeks, again I try to tolerate the pain and don't like feeling sleepy and nautious, and plus this surgery was not as bad and the pain was more manageable.

But I really wish they had given me some meds for occasional use that first surgery, as I didn't do as much walking and moving as I should have, and the first 8 months were really tough. So IMO taking them once in a while for great pain is the thing to do.

Thankfully I had my sleep aid that is very mild and not as addictive as other narcotics and pain meds, to get some sleep.
                  35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
                  Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
                  Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
                  Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
                  Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Ultram/Tramadol

Hello,
                    I am having surgery on 21 June for five segment surgery and derotation. However, I had two hips replaced, one hip revision, and one shoulder replaced and have been to at least five pain clinic (Army so I move a lot). I found that Ultram (or Tramadol) works well. It works on the Opiod receptors, but is not a narcotic and is not controlled like one. You can have dependence and you do build tolerance. I am not a doctor and certainly not qualified to give advice. However, it does work for me. But, it is not strong enough for severe pain and not post-op pain. It is good for keeping our of a pain cycle after recovery.
                    Eric
                    Eric
                    Army LTC
                    13 June 06
                    L1-S1 fusion (post-ant)
                    T10 - S1 derotation with instrumentation

Comment

Eric, Ultram/Tramadol/Ultracet (Tramadol with acetominophen) might be ok after the first few weeks of recovery, but you will more than likely want something a bit stronger to begin with. Usually the pain is prety bad in the beginning and then after the first couple weeks it goes down. If you use the meds as prescribed you really dont have to worry about the risk of addiction too much, but if you take them too often and in too high of a dose for too long you will get addicted. Just remember that whatever med is given to you by the doctor is given to you because the benefits outweigh the risk. Talk to your doctor about your pain tolerance and the medications you have been on before. Maybe as your medications are adjusted and you are beginning to wean off you can move down the the Tramadol. Good luck with your surgery.
                      Mandy

Comment

Good advise

Mandy,
                        You are correct. Ultram is best after the nasty pain is subsided. You have certainly been there and done that_ thanks.
                        Eric
                        Eric
                        Army LTC
                        13 June 06
                        L1-S1 fusion (post-ant)
                        T10 - S1 derotation with instrumentation

Comment

I don't understand this feeling of guilt.

You all had major surgery, your bodies were sliced open and pulled and twisted and screwed and manipulated and you have this hardware inside of you and you feel guilty taking and asking for pain medicine? Are you serious?

I can understand not wanting to become a drug addict but if I'm in pain, I'm asking for the meds. I tried being all brave and doing the Tylenol route and it was horrific. Gah!

You have nothing to feel guilty about at all and if people are making you feel that way, show them your before and after xrays and ask them if they think Tylenol would really help all that much?
                          36 year old single mom of teens ages 14 & 15.
                          Anterior/posterior spinal fusion on February 9th & 16th 2006 with Dr. Anthony Moreno who now has his own practice.
                          Fused from T-3 to S-1 (sacrum)
                          Curve pre-op = 70 degrees
                          Curve post op = 20 degrees
                          No pain anymore!!
                          Google is your friend

I am not a doctor and will never give medical advice. I will support and answer questions from personal experience only.

Comment

Pain meds.

I totally agree with you katblack. Joann, you are only using as needed, your Dr. might just give you an RX for a small refill of something but don't feel guilty. Deb, as for what types of meds, I've been all over these forums and it amazes me how many types of pain meds there are! Tylenol post-op won't get it for you. While in the hosp. I had (like all) the morphine button which sounds great (administer as you need) however when you fall asleep and miss givine yourself some then you're in so much pain till it catches up. I told the nurses they should come in and push it for me at specific intervals... That went over like a lead balloon. Then by about the 4th day I realised I wasn't getting much relief and the Dr. started to switch around different types of combos of meds to give me better pain control. Besides the morphine button (which you don't have for long) I had Diazepam,fentanyl,meperidine,norco, precocet and naproxen in different combos. This was during my 8 day stay, what a soup! The one thing I have not seen on this site is anyone getting the fentanyl patches. These are for use at home. (A type of morphine) they are trasdermal. The first ones were 50 mg and you change them every 3 days. Then you go to 25 mg every three days. I am on that plus norco (for pain) and valium (for spazms) as needed. My Dr. said you can't heal if you are in pain so I think he went above and beyond the call of dudy in this area. Make sure your Dr. is willing to try different pain meds for you if what he prescribes doesn't work. You need to be pro-active in this area with some Drs. Best wishes, Suzy 3 months post-op.

Comment

Originally posted by katblack
                              I don't understand this feeling of guilt.

You all had major surgery, your bodies were sliced open and pulled and twisted and screwed and manipulated and you have this hardware inside of you and you feel guilty taking and asking for pain medicine? Are you serious?

I can understand not wanting to become a drug addict but if I'm in pain, I'm asking for the meds. I tried being all brave and doing the Tylenol route and it was horrific. Gah!

You have nothing to feel guilty about at all and if people are making you feel that way, show them your before and after xrays and ask them if they think Tylenol would really help all that much?
                              ITA, but some docs are just not prescribing meds to the youngin's. I noticed that now that I'm in my mid thirties, they don't mind so much. It used to be hell for me to get my sleep aid, but once I got a note from a sleeping clinic saying that I was the worse case of insomnia they had ever seen, I get my pills now In my case I wouldn't feel guilt(guilt is less an less part of my life), but more so what do I prefer to feel, more pain or tired and loopy...For some people meds make them feel like zombies.

I think the best thing is to stick to what's best for us-wether it's being on occasional pain meds or a combo that works really well , and try not to tolerate too much pain.
                              35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
                              Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
                              Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
                              Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
                              Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Working...
                              X