Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How soon post-op can you take the train?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How soon post-op can you take the train?

Hubby and I were having a loud discussion about driving vs. taking the train to NYC where I'm pretty sure I'll have surgery. He hates driving in Manhattan and thinks I can take the train to post-op visits! .... how soon after surgery would I be able to handle that?

Chris
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

I'm assuming you'd be using one of the three -- NJ Transit, LIRR or metro north. From personal experience, both NJT and LIRR are pretty smooth rides and are comfortable enough, as long as the seat doesn't have an inch deep butt indentation . I only ride on Raritan valley & Northeast lines on NJT and the Ronkonkoma line on LIRR so I don't know if other lines go through geography that'd cause the train to jostle around.

I guess you can take a cab from penn to where ever your appointment is as long as you make the cab driver drive more carefully?

oops I forgot to say I never had surgery... but it doesnt take much for me to be uncomfortable sitting for a period of time.
    Last edited by green m&m; 05-22-2006, 05:53 PM.
    30 something y.o.

2003 - T45, L???
    2005 - T50, L31
    bunch of measurements between...

2011 - T60, L32
    2013 - T68, L?

Posterior Fusion Sept 2014 -- T3 - L3
    Post - op curve ~35

Comment

I read a lot of posts about the ride home being uncomfortable, and I highly agree. I have posted before about how for this last surgery I took a van/cab where they attached my wheelchair in their van and it was so much better than taking the car, if anyone is interested. It's specialized for people who are post op, or disabled. It does cost money, for us it was 60$ for an hour but soooo worth it.
      35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
      Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
      Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
      Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
      Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Thanks for replies. I'm hoping to go to a rehab near my home after the surgery, and it would be about a 2-hour drive to get there. Since I'd be going from hospital to rehab, is there any possibility they'd send me in an ambulance?? (sure, if I pay for it, right??!) Sweetness, the special-van idea is a great idea....

Chris
        Chris
        A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
        Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
        Post-op curve: 12 degrees
        Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Hi Chris, I found the smoother the ride the more comfortable I was. I had a few differnt rides to pick from and found one that was way better then the rest. You might want to bring a pillow for your back, some seat backs are way too hard in the beginning, or too far back. I found it helped a lot. Best wishes, Suzy

Comment

Sweetness, the special-van idea is a great idea....

Chris[/QUOTE]

Yes, it's really helpful. I don't know if they have that service in the US, but here in Montreal there are more than one company that does it, and they go everywhere. The ride is smoother too, I tell you it beats seating in the car and worrying about the bumps.
            35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
            Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
            Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
            Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
            Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

We just drove in to NYC for my post-op appointments and it was rather uncomfortable, but I think the train and a cab would've been worse. I had two pillows and a memory foam neck pillow that I LOVE. I stopped to stretch and walk around only once there and once back. It was a little over an hour due to traffic, accidents and construction.
              Jenn
              37 y/o female
              60 degree lumbar
              45 degree thoracic
              1st time anterior/posterior surgery May 8th and 10th 2006
              T 5 to S 1
              NYC

Comment

Working...
              X