Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waiting not Watching

Hey. I'm new.

I was diagnosed with scoliosis when I was around 10 or 12, I can't even remember. It was very mild, I can't remember the exact number but it was under 20 degrees. The doctor said it was nothing to worry about then, but they wanted an x-ray each year to be sure it wasn't progressing. I haven't been back since. I'm 18 now and have had a growth spurt since that appointment.

My mother seemed to think that it was not important, or that it was something I would just grow out of. Whenever I suggested going in like they told us to she'd forget to set up an appointment and if I asked her again too soon after she'd tell me to stop whinning. (I'm the oldest of 7, in her mind I'm obviously not serious, it's just a cry for attention)

Gradually I've started to notice things that would make me think it has gotten worse. I.E. Normal sitting positions have become uncomfortable, there is a noticable diffrence in the way my hips are shaped, my ribs jut out further on one side than on the other, (though clothes easily hide both of these) and it generally just feels crooked.

I'd really like to get it at least checked out. However, I'm still on my parents health plan, and I have no form of transportation. So I really couldn't without my mom and she thinks I just want attention; maybe she's right and I'm just a hypochondriac, but I'd really like to know for sure.

Any suggestions for me?

Thanks.

Hi Justme,

If one hip is shaped differently and your ribs stick out more on one side, I would say that the curve has most likely progressed and since you have been through a growth spurt,it is even more likely that it has progressed. Maybe if you point out these differences to your mom she would realize that you should get another x-ray. It is important that you keep tracking the progression of your curve so that it does not get to a point where it causes you pain and even more discomfort, because if you keep an eye on it now, the doctors may be able to do something to help you before it gets worse.

I know you've probably already pointed these things out to her, and I know it feels really awful when people think all you want is attention. Maybe if you also pointed out to her how uncomfortable it's making you then she will realize how important it is that you be checked out.

My story is also up, mayb you can check it out. I understand how you feel, so if you ever need someone to talk to, I'll be more than happy to chat I'm also 18 and I if you have MSN then mayb we can chat.

~Nadia~
    Nadia
    I'm 19
    Diagnosed with Scoliosis at age 16
    Curves as of June 2006: 48T & 40L
    Curves as of June 2007: 52T & 43L
    Surgery date: June 18, 2007
    "A smile is a curve that can straighten out anything"

Comment

My daughter has scoliosis and if you weren't aware of it, you probably wouldn't be able to tell, but she actually has a moderate case (34/45). If you really want to show your mom do the Adams(?) bending test, where you put your palms together, arms straight out in front of you and bend over with your fingers pointing towards the floor (you probably had to do this at some time in the past). Make sure she looks at your back, no shirt, then she will really be able to see how it is affecting you. I'm not an expert, but you have some of the same symptoms my daughter has. Is one shoulder (usually the right) higher than the other? Can you feel a hump on your lower back (left side)? You may not have all these symptoms but it sounds like you need to be checked out. Maybe your mother will give you the insurance info and you can go see a dr. yourself although it would be better for your parent to go with you so they will understand what is going on. Hope everything turns out okay.
      Sherie

Comment

I agree with Sherie, it sounds like you have progressed.
        If your parents are worried about money, you could go to your nearest Shriners. All treatment there is free for children 18 and under. Your local Shriners will help you with transportation(pick you and your parents up and bring you back) and help with lodging, if you need it.
        Maybe your mom would read some information on the NSF site. There are several articles.
        Hugs,
        Mrs. Linder
        P.S. You will have to check on the cut off age wise. I am pretty sure you could still go to a Shriners at 18.
        Last edited by cherylplinder; 05-24-2006, 08:51 AM.
        God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

Working...
        X