Swollen ankles and feet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swollen ankles and feet

Hi All! I'm pretty sure my boyfriend let you guys know that I'm happy to be home and all went OK. They kept me in the hosptial an extra day due to swollen ankles and feet. I've been home four days now and have seen little change. My left is worse than my right foot. Has anyone experienced this after their surgery?
    Mt stay in the hospital was ROUGH.........as I expected. The drive home (an hour) was horrid and I didn't sleep at all the first night home. Right now I feel OK and will go for a very short walk . I didn't lose my appetite, but am constipated from the pain killers. Ask me any questions you'd like and I'll try to log on every other day if possible
    Thanks for all of your well wishes and prayers and good luck to everyone scheduled soon!
    Jenn
    37 y/o female
    60 degree lumbar
    45 degree thoracic
    1st time anterior/posterior surgery May 8th and 10th 2006
    T 5 to S 1
    NYC

Hi Summer,

I'm so glad you have the surgery behind you and you are already up to posting on the message board.

My legs and feet were swollen after I got home. Seen GP and he checked me for blood clots and then decided I was retaining water. He gave me some diuretics to take. He said sometimes after surgery it takes your body a while to start functioning as it should. I never had to take but 1 tablet...that got my system working good...I promise you this is the truth...I lost 8 lbs in one day!

Kindest Regards,
    Gail

Comment

Welcome back, Summer!! Hope your feet deflate soon. It's such a kick to see freshly post-op people back on the boards.
      Take it easy --
      Chris
      Chris
      A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
      Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
      Post-op curve: 12 degrees
      Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Welcome back! THe two things I can think of have alrady been posted about, water retention and possible blood clot/dvt. Keep an eye on it for both of them!
        Meg is Spinewhine
        31 years old with thoracic curve
        Wore Boston brace as teenager, but curve continued to progress.
        Surgery on 12/13/2005 with correction from over 55 degrees to under 25 degrees. (Ya baby!)

The nitty gritty at:
        http://spinewhine.blogspot.com/

Comment

Gail

Hi Gail
          How long did you wait to see your GP? I just dread getting in the car again so soon. I may call my surgeon tomorrow. I was released Thursday and am just nervous about the swelling...........although they told me not to sweat it when I was released
          Thanks
          jenn
          Jenn
          37 y/o female
          60 degree lumbar
          45 degree thoracic
          T 5 to S 1
          NYC

Comment

Hope it goes away soon!.

My friend uses benefiber and it did wonders for her irregular uncomfortable bowel movements. She also said the powder doesn't taste bad like metamusil.... just has a very faint vitamin supplement smell to it according to her.

I've tried benefiber myself and did not notice the fiber changing the taste of the juice I mixed it in at all.
            30 something y.o.

2003 - T45, L???
            2005 - T50, L31
            bunch of measurements between...

2011 - T60, L32
            2013 - T68, L?

Posterior Fusion Sept 2014 -- T3 - L3
            Post - op curve ~35

Comment

thanks

Thank you so much everyone. When I wake up in the morning my swelling is significantlly less because I've been lying down most of the night. Although I'm tired and in some pain..........right now I can say I'm happy I had the surgery done.
              jenn
              Jenn
              37 y/o female
              60 degree lumbar
              45 degree thoracic
              T 5 to S 1
              NYC

Comment

There is a great thing that my GP gave me called Glycolax (or Miralax) that you mix in liquids, I use my first morning coffee... it's not a fiber supplement so u don't have the gas and cramping. It dissolves completely and has no taste whatsoever... It is gentle enough to use every day forEVER if need be. HOW i wish i'd had it right after surgery!! I recommend it highly... Ask your doctor if it won't work for you!

Mannnnnn, i sound like a commercial, don't i?? lol... wonder if they'll pay me for this??? lol

Summer, did you not have to wear those tightie-whitie hose on your legs after your surgery? I had to wear them for a couple of weeks and for the whole time i was in the hospital i had those inflating leg squeezers that kept me awake all night...
                Last edited by JoAnn5; 05-22-2006, 09:23 AM.

Comment

Been thinking about you!

Yea Jenn your through it! Thought about you the whole week you were in and loved that your boyfriend posted for us. I think of everyone when they go in, wishing them well, & it helps me to appreciate my progress. I am thankful for all the info, support and laughs here. Do you think putting your feet up would help? Like those of us who had swollen ankles during pregnancy, it helped then. Are you possably pregnant??!! KIDDING! Suzy

Comment

Yes, I had to wear the white support hose hooked up to the machine in bed and unhooked while walking around the hospital. We tried putting them on ourselves here, but I think it's too dangerous because they're so tight it feels like I'm cutting off my circulation. I lay in bed with my feet up every two hours. I'm eating diuretic foods such as asparagus
                    Jenn
                    37 y/o female
                    60 degree lumbar
                    45 degree thoracic
                    T 5 to S 1
                    NYC

Comment

Hi Summer,

It's wonderful that you feel well enough to get on the computer so soon. My legs and feet were swollen after my surgery as well. I have a friend that happens to be from Thialand. She came and visited me and saw my legs and feet were swollen and asked if she could rub them for me.

I was leary at first because they hurt, but I said okay. She started with my feet the first time, and was able to go about half way up my calves before I had to stop her. The next week my visiting PT was amazed at how much my swelling had gone done in just a matter of days. Each time she came to visit me she was able to go further up my legs. I can't explain how relaxing it was.

My husband told her she was spoiling me, but I saw and felt such a difference.

Have that wonderfully supportive man in your life try it!!!

Shari
                      Last edited by Shari; 05-29-2006, 11:20 PM.

Comment

long fusion

Summer,
                        I noticed you had a long fusion like Katblack. I get one on 21 June, but not as long as yours. Did you get the rods as well? You say the hospital was rough- what was the roughest part? Again- it sounds to me like you and your boyfriend have a good handle on this recovery stuff. Final question- what pain meds are you on now?
                        Eric
                        Eric
                        Army LTC
                        13 June 06
                        L1-S1 fusion (post-ant)
                        T10 - S1 derotation with instrumentation

Comment

Working...
                        X