Snap, Krackle & Pop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snap, Krackle & Pop?

I've noticed over the last several years my back will feel tight. When laying in bed flat I can arch my back upwards and my spine just goes snap, crackle, pop.
    I can feel it just popping all the way down and it sounds rather loud to me, my husband hasn't heard it yet.

Is this common?

I've wondered most recently if it' something I should avoid, like popping knuckles. ( I had always heard that popping knuckles would cause problems later in life with the joints (ie) arthritis?!? )

I used to crack my back to relieve back pain can't really do that anymore for some reason most likely b/c my curves have gotten stiffer.

The whole joint popping cause arthritis later on life thing is most likely a myth..

The current theory for the noise is due to the pressure change in the joint causing gases dissolved in the synovial fluid surrounding the joint to escape and make an audiable noise. It takes a while for the gases to be redissolved back into the fluid which is why once you pop/crack a joint it's a while before you can do it again.

So the noise isn't from your joint structures rubbing together...
    30 something y.o.

2003 - T45, L???
    2005 - T50, L31
    bunch of measurements between...

2011 - T60, L32
    2013 - T68, L?

Posterior Fusion Sept 2014 -- T3 - L3
    Post - op curve ~35

Comment

The popping happens to me as well, although only above and below my fusion. I often have to pop one of my S-I joints in order to get comfortable in bed.

--Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I agree with the whole gas theory m&m stated. that is what i have thought for years. i think that in the fingers there is a correct and incorrect way to crack the knuckles. the key is to increase the space in the joint. if you bend the bones down you allow for new bone formation which can increase the likelihood of arthritis. so...in a way, it is possible in the hands and feet, but only if they are done incorrectly, just pull rather than force the fingers by bending them (if that makes any sense, sorry i am really bad at expliaing that).

Comment

thanks for the input!!!

Wow what knowledge is available here!!

Thanks!!!

Comment

Knuckles I've been cracking ever since I was a child. No change, but still crackin'...

Neck cracking- unless it cracks on its own- I don't crack it like before as I used to have to crack it constantly for pain, it made it worse and a chiro told me it makes it weaker, and to stop doing it myself. I haven't visited a chiro for my neck since scolio surgery and don't plan to.
            35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
            Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
            Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
            Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
            Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

And I thought I was unique!

Dang, I thought I was the only the person on this planet who could "crack" her back! I crack my neck, I crack my lower back, I crack my hip bones to relieve the pain. I think it's wise to get a reputable ortho's opinion on the possibility of arthritis, though.

Comment

Working...
              X