Prominent Rib Hump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prominent Rib Hump

I've been doing a lot of research and although my curve is smaller than many of yours, I still have a very large rib hump. From the right side it looks like I have kyphosis...that is how distorted my profile is. I don't have kyphosis...it is just the rib hump. It often feels like it is going to "burst through" my skin! I get burning, aching pains all the time I've seen photos of adults with 70 degree curves and only their shoulder blades stick out, but not their entire rib cage. my entire cage is shifted to the side so that i have a VERY noticeable deformity. Could it be the specific vertebrae involved that is causing this?
    28 years old. Dx at age 14.

1994 20T/20L
    1998 22T/20L
    2002 30T/28L
    2006 34T/28L
    2008 43T/34L

considering surgery in the near future as the curvature is getting progressively worse and for pain management.

XRAYS and pics at 28 years old. http://www.freewebs.com/skiergirl24/apps/photos/

Hi,

I just replied to you on another post. In addition to the curvature, the spine can also rotate, which is what causes the rib hump. In the months prior to my son's surgery, not only did the curves accelerate when he hit a growth spurt, but the rotation also accelerated quite a bit. So even though the correction of his curves is wonderful (I believe dr. said less than 20 deg.), the rotation can only be corrected about 50%, so he still has somewhat of a rib hump.

Renee

Comment

Flowerpower,
      I don't know much about the rib humb correction. I was hoping it would mostly go away after surgery. That's a question I'll ask at pre-op this summer...thks, Lynne http://lynnebackattack.blogspot.com

Comment

Lynne,

Yes, I was a little disappointed (so was the dr.) that we didn't get better correction on the rib hump. You may though, everyone's spines are all so different. I don't know how much, or if, flexibility of the spine is an issue as far as the correction of the rotation.

I wish you good luck on your upcoming surgery - hope it will be uneventful and uncomplicated.

Renee

Comment

Thoracoplasty

You might want to read about thoracoplasty, which would correct the rib hump.

You might find it interesting to read a site called Beyond Scoliosis. It is a site for adults having to live with scoliosis and are now getting corrective surgery for the first time. I read Jenny's story and found it very encouraging, as I am 48 years old and went for my first ortho consultation for corrective surgery last Tuesday.

Comment

Working...
          X