Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• extreme sports after anterior approach

Hello!

I would like to talk to someone who has had the same surgery as mine and practice extreme sports, especially skydiving. My doctor one year after the surgery told me, that I could do everything that I want. On holiday I want to start skydiving and he didn't allow me to do this. Although, I am going to do this. Is there anyone here who skydive? I am also interested if anyone of you did hurt your back during e.g. snowboarding, skiing or skydiving and had to have second surgery to "repair" this.
    Surgery 13.12.2001
    Fusion T12-L2
    Anterior approach

sorry for eventual mistakes, english is not my native language

Maja,

Sky diving and bungee jumping and the two sports my doctor told me to never do. It seems like there are alot of people on here who's doctor has said the same thing. You should really clear that up with your doctor.
    Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
    Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
    Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
    Fused T2 to sacrum
    June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
    MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

I think that skydiving is on the definate NO list because the risk of getting hurt and injuring your spinal cord or dislodging something is too high. My doctor wont even let me jump on a trampoline ever again because he had a patient who fell on a trampoline, broke both of their rods and their fusion and by the time they had it fixed the spine had refused crooked and he would have caused them too much harm to restraighten it. I think that the danger of having too hard of a landing skydiving, not landing properly, etc. is too great. I would definatly talk to your doctor before trying to go out and do this because it is VERY DANGEROUS!!! If your doctor did not explain why they did not want you do skydive, they should have. Find out the risks of doing so. And please, be careful.
      Mandy

Comment

My doctor told me, bungee jumping is ok for me. He isn't scared of some accident and he told me that I shouldn't skydive, because I will have in the future problems with discs below and above my fusion if I put too much impact on my spine. But I know, that succesful landing doesn't put much impact. I've jumped in tandem and now I can't imagine life without skydiving. I look in the Internet for information about skydiving and spine surgeries, because I just want to know how much I will risk. Thanks Mandy for telling me about this person who fell on a trampoline. I want to know about such accidents.
        Surgery 13.12.2001
        Fusion T12-L2
        Anterior approach

sorry for eventual mistakes, english is not my native language

Comment

Working...
        X