Blood to low to donate!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blood to low to donate!

I went for my 2nd donation today and was denied.My 1st one i was at the cut off and when i returned this time i was 2 and 1/2 lower than the 1st so it has been pushed up a week.It will be 9 days pre-op.For anyone else who needs to boost there iron they recommended this foods as an EXCELLENT source of iron...Bran flakes(iron fortified)clams-meat only,cream of wheat/malt-o-meal,infant cereal,liver,beef,dried peaches,seedles rasins,lean sirlon steak,and sunflower seeds.GOOD sources..cooked beans,beef steak,boneless chicken,lamb chop,molasses,oysters,cooked peas,pecan pie,salted peanuts,pork chop,prune juice,lean roast beef,sardines,spinach,veal cutlet,watermelon.AVERAGE source..apple juice,asparagus,boiled broccoli,cantalope,cooked collards,crab meat,heavy syrup canned fruit cocktail,oatmeal,potato salad,shrimp,whole strawberries,peeled sweet potato baked in skin,tuna canned in oil,egg hard cooked.So if any is going to donate soon ask your dr. if u should add any of these to your diet.It might really help.I wish i would have had some sooner.I had already been taking 2 iron supplements daily with vitiman c. Stephanie!
    Last edited by fitiani33; 05-26-2006, 02:27 PM. Reason: title change
    Stephanie
    T11 to L3
    1 rib removed
    June 5, 2006

Did they advise you to increase your iron tablets? I am also anemic and know what a pain in the tushy it is. I have been steadily increasing my consumtion of iron rich foods. I wish you the best Stephanie. Hang in there, iron levels tend to drop after a blood donation. I have no doubt you will get the green light the next time you go.
    Brandi
    Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
    Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
    L1-S1
    Dr. William Lauerman
    Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
    Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
    http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

increase iron

i was originally instructed to take 1 iron plus 1 vitamin c a day,but i guess it wasn't enough so they uped it to 2. That wasn't enough either so now they said 3. When i 1st donated my blood was at 12.2 there cut off was 12 so i just made it, when i returned my count was 9.1, way to low to consider. The first time they said if i had went to Red Cross i would have been rejected at 12.2, the hospital i went to has a lower criteria. Hopefully the extra iron tablet and added foods to my diet will bring it back up not just to donate but for the surgery as well! And i asked about a donation charge and they said i did not have to pay anything there but if there were to be a charge it would be in the total cost of surgey all on one bill.

Stephanie
      Stephanie
      T11 to L3
      1 rib removed
      June 5, 2006

Comment

I hope it works this time! I was rejected the 3rd time I tried to donate. We went home and my husband fixed everything for the next week that was at the top of the list. I ate very well...and was able to donate (also about 9 days before surgery!). Good luck! Linda

Comment

Working...
        X