Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for people my age

Hi,
    I am just curious to know the age, or if ages are posted here of you guys who have had or are going to have the surgery. I am almost 50 yrs. old. I know the older you are the tougher the recovery is. I will be having surgery probably sometime within the year. I am now doing physical therapy...searching for a surgeon...and just preparing both mentally and physically for this surgery. Since I am older will it benefit me in recovery time to be physically fit? Also, I am reading the book Scoliosis Surgery by David Wolpert. It's a great book and is very informative. I will be giving it to my family to read also so they will somewhat know what to expect when it comes time for my surgery.

Debbie
    A/P Surgery Oct.15 and 18, 2007
    T2 to Sacrum
    Pre-surgery 56* T 60* L
    Post-surgery 28* T 30* L
    Dr. Pashman, Cedars-Sinai Hospital
    Bevery Hills, CA

Debbie, age 51 at surgery.
    Now, 59 yrs young :-)

I'm 53, fat and sassy .... doing great 7 months after extensive surgery!!

If i can do it, YOU can do it

Comment

47 and awaiting surgeryl

Hi Debbie from Las Vegas,

I'm another Debbie from Grand Rapids; there's a lot of us Debbie Reynolds era namesake girls out here.

There are several of us on this site awaiting surgery around your age--myself, Lynn, Singer, several others who just had surgery recently--keep looking at and reading posts and you will find them. Some of us didn't know that we were even candidates for surgery until a year or so ago, having been treated conservatively when younger with braces or watching and waiting. Now we find ourselves in pain, with increasing curves and disability and looking to have surgery to stabilize our spines and our lives.

Certainly it always helps in recovery to be physically fit; especially to strengthen the legs and arms to help lift your body afterwards when you can't bend your back, is the word that I read on this site.

Dave Wolpert's book is great; you will also learn a lot on this site by going back to old threads and posts.

Keep us posted in your journey with scoliosis.

Deb

Comment

Thanks so much girls, you just made my day. Everone is so nice here!!! Your posts are very inspiring and I am happy on your great recovery JoAnn and wish the best for you.
        Yes... the Debbie Reynolds era. Not too many are naming their children Debbie anymore. I just found out a few months back that I am a candidate for surgery. I never realized that it would come to this. I have and am still learning so much about this surgery through this forum and reading.

Thanks everyone for your input!!!

Debbie
        A/P Surgery Oct.15 and 18, 2007
        T2 to Sacrum
        Pre-surgery 56* T 60* L
        Post-surgery 28* T 30* L
        Dr. Pashman, Cedars-Sinai Hospital
        Bevery Hills, CA

Debbie, age 51 at surgery.
        Now, 59 yrs young :-)

Comment

Welcome! I am 57 and will have surgery in Plano (Dallas area) Texas on October 5. Mine is very extensive..Double Major Curve....both curves over 80° plus even more surgery the same day to correct spondylolthesis (sp?). Keep posting and asking questions....this is a great place to come for answers and support.

Comment

another oldie

Hi Debbie,

I'm almost 51 and will probably have surgery next year also. It was quite a nasty surprise four months ago to discover that I needed to have this surgery. I'm working out with a stability ball (when my back allows it) to try and build up my abs and my core so I have more body strength. Sounds like you're on the right track all the way around. If you skim through the threads in this section, you'll see lots of references to various surgeons throughout the country. Good luck --

Chris
            Chris
            A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
            Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
            Post-op curve: 12 degrees
            Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Hello Debbie,

I was 42.5 yrs old when I had my surgery. I am now 3 yrs post-op and doing great. Fused with titanium rods T-9 through L-5.

Dave Wolpert's book is an excellent choice. I wish I had known about his book pre-op...I read it about 1 yr after my surgery. I also wish I had found this web-site...but that too was after my surgery and recovery.

Kindest Regards,
              Gail

Comment

Hi Debbie,

I was 45 when I had my surgery a year ago. I too, was one of those people that did not know that such a thing was available at my age, until a couple of years ago. It has been one of the toughest things I've ever gone through,
                but I do not regret it at all.

Being in good physical and mental shape for it is definitely a major factor, but I don't think that you can ever truly prepare yourself for it. I read, I researched and was in great physical condition. It was still hard. Just don't get discouraged. The end result is worth it.

Take your time to find the right Doctor!!!

Shari

Comment

It has been said, but I can't stress it enough...take the time to find the right doctor! My doctor sent me from TX to Boston. I was 48 when I had surgery in November (2005). I am 6 months post-op and have been totally cleared by my doctor here in TX! I don't have to see him for a year! As for how I feel...I haven't felt this good, even after a hard day at work, in at least 10 years! I was not in good shape physically, but once I found that I needed surgery, I began doing what I could to get there! Good luck to you! You can do it! Linda

Comment

Physical therapy

Hi Debbie,
                    Good for you starting to get in shape pre-op. I had been at the gym for 12 years prior to finding out I was going to need surgery. I went to a P.T. to see if I was missing anything (Strenght wise.) that would help in my recovery and to be evaluated on what my flexability and strengths/weaknesses were. Well did he find some weak spots!! Core strenght and thigh strength are crucial. He gave me excersises I worked on up until I had my surgery and I feel it all helped in my recovery. My knees complain at times from the bending down to get stuff, but I have always bent that way to pick up things. I use my toes a lot to pick up stuff, that is one the P.T. doesn't teach you! I am 43 and Tuesday is my 3 month post-op check up. I was a 49* lumbar curve and now am 8*. I am doing GREAT! Also, Finding the right Dr. not only who is qualified but one you like is important. My Dr. said I will be with him forever, kind of like a marrage. I think that is important because he will be the one I will go to if I ever need future treatment. Best wishes, Suzy

Comment

debbie,
                      I'm 46 & surgery's this August 1st. I have'nt really exercised a whole lot because with my curves, I tend to hurt myself more than help....I do ride my bike a bit.. I also do lots around the house. Painting, gardening & up & down the stairs constantly with 2 young boys! I think I'll do fine at recovery because I do have strong legs & thk god the knees seem to bend ok! I also bake at a place & just up on my feet for 2-3hrs gives me aches afterwords...
                      Everyone is different with how they handle this all mentally. Looking back now, from my wait -January until now, I have to say I am way stronger now & ready. If you asked me in February or March, I was'nt there yet!
                      good luck with all...Ly

surg--ant/post.. this Aug
                      60/60 c, Kyphosis 85
                      http://lynnebackattack.blogspot.com

Comment

age 64 w/scoliosis

I had my revision at age 60 3 1/2 years ago; still working, no pain standing all day.

Don't recommend waiting that long but didn't know I had the option and denial is very sneaky with scoliosis.
                        Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
                        Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Hi Debbie,
                          I am a 51 yr old LTC in Army still on active duty and get a anterior/poterior fusion from L1 to S1 as well as rods from T10 to S1 on 21 June. I am with you- feels too old to be doing this stuff. I also agree with the many replies that talk about being in good shape- I am working out (swimming and elilptical trainer) and walk a mile to and from Pentagon every work day.
                          Keep up the great attitude!
                          Good advise on the book- think I will order it today.
                          Eric
                          Eric
                          Army LTC
                          13 June 06
                          L1-S1 fusion (post-ant)
                          T10 - S1 derotation with instrumentation

Comment

Working...
                          X