Daughter is 1 year post op today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daughter is 1 year post op today

1 year ago today at 9:06 my 21 year old daughter began her 9 hour spinal fusion from T4 to L3. I'm having some emotional flash backs of the day and the recovery, but I'm happy to report that she has had a wonderful year of recovery. She returned to college and soccer 3 months post op and had a great year at school, but did decide that soccer was pushing her limits and made the decision to quit a month ago. Her activity level is still high with jogging 3 or 4 miles every couple of days and has taken up bike riding and tennis. She has a beautiful straight back with hardly a trace of a scar. Her daily pain is gone, but experiences spasms and muscle soreness when she overdoes her activities. Nothing that a couple of Tylenol and a heat pack doesn't take care of. So for all of you that are heading into the surgery, or are in route of recovery.... good luck, and keep your spirits up. My daughter doesn't have a single regret.
    Linda (Tiny's mom)

Congrats to your daughter (and you!) on her 1 yr. post-op anniversary - very encouraging to hear how well she's doing.

Renee

Comment

Thanks for the encouraging words, Linda.
      Your daughter was older than most of the kids who seem to be getting the fusions. Did she wear a brace? What were her curves? When did you find out she had scoli.

I would feel so much better if my daughter were 21 years of age having this surgery, than 13.

My daughter is 12 and has 2 curves 39 and 41. She wears a Spinecor brace.

I hope you don't mind the questions.

Melissa
      Melissa
      From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
      Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

Linda,
        I'm so glad to hear your daughter is doing well and moving on with an active life style. It's also great to know she's happy with the decision to have the surgery. I'm sending you a private message with questions about socccer if you'll be so kind to indulge me. My daughter is just a little over 5 weeks post op and having serious soccer withdrawal.
        Kate

Comment

thks for the update Linda,
          I am happy for you both! It sounds like she's doing great! Good luck to you both & tennis is a great sport to change over to! Lynne

surgery this August -post/ant. 60/60 curv/80 kyphosis...
          http://lynnebackattack.blogspot.com

Comment

Thanks everyone. It is really nice that it is behind us.
            Melissa...Tara was diagnosed at 15 and she did wear a boston brace for about a year and a half, then wore the nighttime (Charleston?)brace for about a year. She wasn't very compliant. She was well in her the 40% range when she went into the brace. She had quit growing, but her curve continued another 20% over the next couple of years. I think she was close to about a 65% curve when she decided to have the surgery. I think there are some advantages to being older, one thing was that her spine was fully matured so there was no stunted growth. Another thing was having more maturity she could rationally work through when for her was the best time to have the surgery. However, being young, your daughter would probably have a quick recovery with a really good correction. Are you thinking about having the surgery anytime soon?
            Linda

Comment

Linda
              Thanks for the soccer info. Breanne walked 2miles yesterday then came home and iced her back. She feels she has to do something. I'm just so glad she's walking period. WE see her surgeon next week. Maybe he'll give her the okay to work in the pool a bit. Best of everything to you and your daughter!!

Comment

Kate,
                2 miles is really good. Make sure she is eating a lot of protein. It's essential for the healing and make sure she is getting plently of calories to keep up with the extra activities. My daughter wasn't able to eat and in the beginning when whe was adding in her activities, she became dehydrated really easy. Sometimes the Dr.s forget to instruct you on how important it is to get in all the important nutrients. Good luck.
                Linda

Comment

Thanks for the details of Tara's scoli journey. I'm glad she's doing so well. My 12-year old is not at surgery level at this time. She has at least another year of growing to do and she has 2 curves at around 40. She wears the Spinecor brace.

Melissa
                  Melissa
                  From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
                  Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

Working...
                  X