No announcement yet.

Had Pre-Op Testing/Consult Yesterday...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Had Pre-Op Testing/Consult Yesterday...

I was under the false impression that I would be meeting w/ my surgeon. Instead I met with a very friendly and knowledgeable nurse practicioner. She eased some of my worries and told me that I was in excellent hands. She told me that the vascular surgeon(Dr.Richard Neville) and neurosurgeon(Dr. Kevin McGrail) are also ranked among the nation's best. That doesn't exactly make me feel bad. I got to see the area of the hospital where the surgeries would be performed, had more blood drawn, filled out pages upon pages of paperwork and so on. She also told me that my red blood cell count was still low (31) and to continue taking the iron (3 tabs per day). I am over feeling sorry for myself and will focus on spending quality time with the people I love.

Brandi
    Brandi
    Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
    Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
    L1-S1
    Dr. William Lauerman
    Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
    Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
    http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

That's good. I also met with a nurse and residant, not my surgeons when I had my pre ops.

Just remember to eat well, get some rest, and cut your toe nails before the big day
    35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
    Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
    Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
    Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
    Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

That's cute. I've been thinking about things like that lately. Making sure toenails are trimmed, legs are shaved, etc. What really has me upset are my eyebrows. I pluck them every 2 days. I obviously won't be doing that in the hospital or anytime directly afterward. I'll be as bushy as Brooke Shields circa 1980!
      Brandi
      Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
      Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
      L1-S1
      Dr. William Lauerman
      Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
      Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
      http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

I met with a Nurse Practioner for my pre op as well. I agree, make sure you shave and clip your toes hehehe. Although I thikn sometimes they put socks on you
        28 years old. Dx at age 14.

1994 20T/20L
        1998 22T/20L
        2002 30T/28L
        2006 34T/28L
        2008 43T/34L

considering surgery in the near future as the curvature is getting progressively worse and for pain management.

XRAYS and pics at 28 years old. http://www.freewebs.com/skiergirl24/apps/photos/

Comment

Originally posted by bbest
          That's cute. I've been thinking about things like that lately. Making sure toenails are trimmed, legs are shaved, etc. What really has me upset are my eyebrows. I pluck them every 2 days. I obviously won't be doing that in the hospital or anytime directly afterward. I'll be as bushy as Brooke Shields circa 1980!
          Who knows, maybe you'll end up linking your full eyebrows . I wish I had fully/bushy brows! I have very sparse eyebrows so when I had a minor same-day surgery I refused to go browless to the hospital. I threw on some eyebrow gel..hehe.

Load up on fluids before the no food/liquid cut off time... I was so parched by the time I got to the hospital I couldn't wait to get hooked up to a saline drip...lol
          30 something y.o.

2003 - T45, L???
          2005 - T50, L31
          bunch of measurements between...

2011 - T60, L32
          2013 - T68, L?

Posterior Fusion Sept 2014 -- T3 - L3
          Post - op curve ~35

Comment

being nicely groomed

That's so funny, i thought i was a weirdo. Surgery in about 2 1/2 weeks and all i could think about was getting prepared in "other" ways. I am not a person really into looks,but i know once hospital hits i am done with! So i had my fair share of tanning, i spent all last night contimplating a pedicure or not,and the eyebrows........ohhhh the eyebrows.... i have been going thru rough times. I have been letting them grow out for a while now and i am gonna wax them the day before the surgery so they will be nice and in place during the hardest and beginning part of recovery ( you know,the visitors )lol
            i had to warn everyone at work to pay no attention to them for the time being..it's all for good reason. I thought i was terrible for worrying about those things before surgery. Like the night before, a major thing on my checklist is to get a nice leg shave...not so much a good nights sleep.(almost kidding). I think the real reason to get this stuff done just before is cause it might be a while after before we can do it again! At least by ourselves!~ Good luck !!!!!!!!

Stephanie
            Stephanie
            T11 to L3
            1 rib removed
            June 5, 2006

Comment

You ladies are not crazy for thinking about these things. My daughter was 13 when she had her surgery and we spent a lot of time thinking about these things. The night before her surgery, I suggested she take a nice long bubblebath, shave her legs, etc. because like a lot of you have said, you can't do some of these things for a while after surgery, especially the bubblebath. I might suggest that you wax your legs so they stay soother for a longer period of time unless you have a sister or someone who would be willing to shave them for you. I shaved Jamie's legs a few times for her after surgery because she said it was difficult for her to do but it helped her feel better about herself so it was well worth it.

Mary Lou
              Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Working...
              X