PDA

View Full Version : Had Pre-Op Testing/Consult Yesterday...

bbest
05-16-2006, 06:02 AM
I was under the false impression that I would be meeting w/ my surgeon. Instead I met with a very friendly and knowledgeable nurse practicioner. She eased some of my worries and told me that I was in excellent hands. She told me that the vascular surgeon(Dr.Richard Neville) and neurosurgeon(Dr. Kevin McGrail) are also ranked among the nation's best. That doesn't exactly make me feel bad. I got to see the area of the hospital where the surgeries would be performed, had more blood drawn, filled out pages upon pages of paperwork and so on. She also told me that my red blood cell count was still low (31) and to continue taking the iron (3 tabs per day). I am over feeling sorry for myself and will focus on spending quality time with the people I love.

Brandi

sweetness514
05-16-2006, 04:30 PM
That's good. I also met with a nurse and residant, not my surgeons when I had my pre ops.

Just remember to eat well, get some rest, and cut your toe nails before the big day ;)

bbest
05-17-2006, 10:49 AM
That's cute. I've been thinking about things like that lately. Making sure toenails are trimmed, legs are shaved, etc. What really has me upset are my eyebrows. I pluck them every 2 days. I obviously won't be doing that in the hospital or anytime directly afterward. I'll be as bushy as Brooke Shields circa 1980!

Mobee211
05-17-2006, 11:59 AM
I met with a Nurse Practioner for my pre op as well. I agree, make sure you shave and clip your toes hehehe. Although I thikn sometimes they put socks on you :)

green m&m
05-17-2006, 01:22 PM
That's cute. I've been thinking about things like that lately. Making sure toenails are trimmed, legs are shaved, etc. What really has me upset are my eyebrows. I pluck them every 2 days. I obviously won't be doing that in the hospital or anytime directly afterward. I'll be as bushy as Brooke Shields circa 1980!

Who knows, maybe you'll end up linking your full eyebrows ;). I wish I had fully/bushy brows! I have very sparse eyebrows so when I had a minor same-day surgery I refused to go browless to the hospital. I threw on some eyebrow gel..hehe.

Load up on fluids before the no food/liquid cut off time... I was so parched by the time I got to the hospital I couldn't wait to get hooked up to a saline drip...lol

fitiani33
05-19-2006, 10:15 PM
That's so funny, i thought i was a weirdo. Surgery in about 2 1/2 weeks and all i could think about was getting prepared in "other" ways. I am not a person really into looks,but i know once hospital hits i am done with! So i had my fair share of tanning, i spent all last night contimplating a pedicure or not,and the eyebrows........ohhhh the eyebrows.... i have been going thru rough times. I have been letting them grow out for a while now and i am gonna wax them the day before the surgery so they will be nice and in place during the hardest and beginning part of recovery ( you know,the visitors )lol
i had to warn everyone at work to pay no attention to them for the time being..it's all for good reason. I thought i was terrible for worrying about those things before surgery. Like the night before, a major thing on my checklist is to get a nice leg shave...not so much a good nights sleep.(almost kidding). I think the real reason to get this stuff done just before is cause it might be a while after before we can do it again! At least by ourselves!~ Good luck !!!!!!!!

Stephanie

Snoopy
05-20-2006, 06:54 AM
You ladies are not crazy for thinking about these things. My daughter was 13 when she had her surgery and we spent a lot of time thinking about these things. The night before her surgery, I suggested she take a nice long bubblebath, shave her legs, etc. because like a lot of you have said, you can't do some of these things for a while after surgery, especially the bubblebath. I might suggest that you wax your legs so they stay soother for a longer period of time unless you have a sister or someone who would be willing to shave them for you. I shaved Jamie's legs a few times for her after surgery because she said it was difficult for her to do but it helped her feel better about herself so it was well worth it.

Mary Lou