kyphosocliosis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kyphosocliosis

Hello. I posted on the revision board earlier since I had both hips replaced and the right shoulder replaced over the last five years. But since I never had spine surgery- I am here. I am a 51yr Army LTC still on active duty here at the Pentagon and was told on 2 May I have the complicated thing I wrote on the title as well as stenosis/DDD as well as bad breath (well- maybe not the breath part). I am scheduled to get a derotation (instumented) on 19 July at Bethseda as well as some other weird sounding procedures. I will also get a Lumbar Laminectomy Fusion (instrumented) and if the dye injecting fun shows nasty stuff- the Anterior Lumbar Inerbofy Fusion (ALIF) on the 19th. However, the Center of Gravity (as we say in the business) is the kyphocliosis. The degree stuff baffles me since the kyphosis (T12 to L4) is 20% which sounded good but is then combined with what the spine should be (should lean back) and it turns into 60%. The scoliosis (left L1-L4) is less an issue at 15% ( and it stays at 15). I guess the significant emotional event for the spinal guy is the wierd structure of the spine.
    Anybody else out there have a spine like this to be welded together.
    Thanks for reading. Eric
    Eric
    Army LTC
    13 June 06
    L1-S1 fusion (post-ant)
    T10 - S1 derotation with instrumentation

Hi Eric...

Not sure I follow all your issues, but according to Dr. Michael Neuwirth in "The Scoliosis Sourcebook:"
    "Thoracic kyphosis, the outward rounding of the upper back, should range from 20 to 50 degrees; lumbar lordosis, the concavity in the lower back, should range from 30 to 70 degrees."

In terms of scoliosis, 0-10 degrees is normal.

Loved your comment about bad breath. :-)

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Eric,

Here's a link to a webcast of a spinal fusion similar to what you will be getting... the surgical approach is different yours is more of a 'typical' approach (anterior) this webcasted surgery is through the back which isn't as common.. but it's interesting to look at.

It is grahic a bit graphic..

http://www.or-live.com/robertwoodjohnson/1242/
      Last edited by green m&m; 05-15-2006, 09:08 PM.
      30 something y.o.

2003 - T45, L???
      2005 - T50, L31
      bunch of measurements between...

2011 - T60, L32
      2013 - T68, L?

Posterior Fusion Sept 2014 -- T3 - L3
      Post - op curve ~35

Comment

Working...
      X