No "significant" change!?!??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No "significant" change!?!??

When I was 18 my curves measured 23 degrees (both lumbar and thoracic). At 22 they were both at 30 degrees. The orthopedist said that this was not a significant change at all. Now 3 years later they are at 34 (thoracic) and 30 (lumbar) and the radiologist report again says "no significant change". Um, how is 12 degrees of progression in only 7 years NOT SIGNIFICANT?! Am I nuts or something? What the hell is wrong with these people?!!!!!!!!
    28 years old. Dx at age 14.

1994 20T/20L
    1998 22T/20L
    2002 30T/28L
    2006 34T/28L
    2008 43T/34L

considering surgery in the near future as the curvature is getting progressively worse and for pain management.

XRAYS and pics at 28 years old. http://www.freewebs.com/skiergirl24/apps/photos/

Hi Mobee

I had a similar situation. At 16 my curves measured 18* and the doctor said I was done growing so the curves wouldn't progress. Well in January of 2003 I was in extreme pain so I went to a new doctor and found my curve to be 33*! My doctor also didn't think this was significant. I had xrays done in May of 2005 and my doctor said the curve was 37*. I had another doctor measure that xray and he found it to be 41*. This doctor, which I saw today, is taking my curve progression very seriously and thinks I will need surgery. I went to 3 different doctors and all didn't think it was a big deal. It seems to be all about finding the right doctor. This current doctor seems great. Good luck in your search.
    Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
    2003- 33 degrees
    2005- 37 degrees
    2006- 44 degrees
    May 2007- 47 degrees
    December 2007 - 50 degrees X-ray

Surgery May 27, 2008
    Fused T1 to L2
    Curve corrected to 15 degrees X-ray

Comment

my two cents

I saw the same orthopedist for 4 years. (age 16) After being finished with the braces I went to my local orthopedist...just as a check up on the degree of curve, at age 25 and it was just a degree or two off compared to the other orthopedist's xrays. He said this could be the difference in machines.

I went back 6months later and still no change.

I went back today at age 36 and I have changed 5 degrees in 11 years. He says that 1 degree per year is average...and that I have 1/2 degree going right now. He wants me back in one year to see how it goes.

Comment

I know it can be very confusing. The only way to really tell if it did progress is if you overlayed both previous and present x-rays on top of each other, and just see the shape of the curve itself. I wouldn't trust measurements since each doctor will likely take measurements of different vertebraes, and also depending on how you were postured during the shoot. Sometimes, x-rays don't get taken from a flat view of your back, it can get taken at a slight angle resulting in an x-ray that's not a complete front or back view of your back.

Comment

Working...
        X