2 weeks until surgery!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 weeks until surgery!

Well here we are. 2 weeks until surgery. We go for pre-op this thursday and friday. I guess we will find out the specifics. My daughter says she isn't that nervous. I have been in and out of intense concern. About now I figure I'm probably numb (which feels better than the nervousness!), so maybe I'm right on target. Kids really are so strong. Never ceases to amaze me.
    Feedback very welcome,
    Patricia
    *BILLIE JOE*

Patricia,

You're in the countdown now...and it's not a fun place to be. Those pre-surgical jitters can be all-consuming. When we all (the Elizabeths) were at the stage you're at, I remember how I took some sage advice from the dear folks in this forum and it did indeed help. Take time for yourself -- long baths, go for a facial, etc. You and your daughter could go get pedicures together. I would definitely do that -- for some reason, my Liz's feet got awful and crusty while she was in the hospital. Also, I think I saw more movies during the final two weeks than I had in a long time! Movies are great diversions -- for a couple of hours, your mind goes in a different direction. With us, in November, I focused on the holidays and getting our house decorated. Different season, so...do you garden, maybe? That could be quite therapeutic.

I did sent you a private message earlier today. I was thinking of you and wondering how you were doing in these last few weeks. Keep in touch and know that we're here to help. Ann

Comment

Hi!

I totally understand what you are going through. My daughter, Carly had her surgery 8 weeks ago. She was really cool and calm right up until the morning of the procedure. The only time she got nervous was when we were at the hospital the morning of the surgery and they started hooking her up to all of the IVs. It suddenly seemed real, I guess.
      The amazing thing is that our kids are strong, and they bounce back awfully quick. After a five day stay in the hospital, Carly came home. She had a tough two days home, not because of pain, but because of stomach problems due to the anesthesia. Once that cleared up, she felt wonderful. She never once took a pain pill when home. Within a week, she was at the mall with her sister.
      She went back to school four weeks after. She could have gone back the week before, but it was spring break.

So, my advice to you is to try and relax (HA!). Have faith in your surgeon and know that soon it will be a memory.

Comment

Patricia,
        I can relate to how you are feeling. Shelby's surgery is June 19 so we have started the "almost only a month to go". We are going on a cruise June 4-11 to get our minds off of things. Kind of Shelby's last hurrah before a boring summer of laying around recuperating. I have been thinking about you and Sharon wondering how you all were doing. Shelby still won't get on this sight and correspond with anyone, I really wish she would but she has no interest. Please know that you and your daughter are in my thoughts and prayers.

Kathy
        Daughter Shelby 12 1/2
        Curves are 44 and 64
        Surgery June 19, 2006

Comment

good luck! hope it all goes well
          Virtual Pets |
          Games |
          Create a Virtual Pet

Comment

Thank you Everyone,
            We have been so fortunate to have found this site!! This site has helped us through every phase of preparing for surgery. We have watched others, communicated with others, gotten so many questions answered, had people reach out to us personally. I can't tell you how much we appreciate everyone's help. We went to Boston for Tori's pre-op this week. She did well. One sort of disappointing aspect is that surprise, her curves progressed. She was 50T 48L and now measures 60T 53L. Her surgeon wants to fuse possibly T4-L1 whereas before he was going to fuse T5-T12. Ofcoarse he told us the whole mobility factor which did not make Tori happy. We hope that he will get the correction needed and that all will go well!!
            We had the pleasure of meeting an actual family on this site. A family that had the same surgeon (just 6 weeks ago) contacted us through private message a few months ago, and invited us to their home while we were in Boston for pre-op this week. How is that for support!! Their daughter is 6 weeks post op and doing very well. She is an absolutely beautiful person inside and out and it was a terrific experience for our daughter to meet her in person. Thank you so much Amy & Jacques if you read. You are the best!

Ann,
            Thank you so much for writing! I remember following closely all of you going through your processes. It helps me to know that others know what we feel and that we have their support.
            We went to pre op and to the blood donation. Tori did great at the blood donation!! This was her biggest fear about surgery. We had gotten a suggestion from a friend to get a prescription for EMLA (a numbing creme) to be put on the blood drawing site 2 hours ahead. It worked like a charm for Tori. She said she would even donate for another child sometime. That is a drastic turn around.
            Thank you for the take care of yourself tips. If only I can follow through now! We had a tour of the floor at the hospital and it was very helpful for Tori. She is having her surgery at Children's in Boston. They have a teen room which she absolutely thought was great!!
            Suzmob,
            Thank you for the sage advice of "have faith in your surgeon and soon it will be a memory!" That is fabulous. The relax part will be a huge stretch for me!
            I watched Carly's process on this forum. We hope she is doing well. Carly sounds so much like Tori; being so cool and calm! I hope Tori does as well with the surgery as she did with the blood donation. Thank you for all the wonderful information you have posted!
            Tulsamom,
            Thank you for writing. Good luck with Shelby's surgery on June 19th. What a great idea to get away before you have the huge , narrow focus of surgery. We did a similar trip out to Arizona 5 weeks pre-op! Have a great time.
            *BILLIE JOE*

Comment

Hi,

Just wanted to send good wishes to you and Tori on her upcoming surgery. I remember at this point dreading the thought of the surgery yet at the same time so ready to get it over with and recovery process begin. I agree having this forum is wonderful-being prepared mentally and physically makes all the difference in facing all of this.

I saw from your post Tori's curves progressed to 60T/53L - same as my son's at time of surgery. I am curious if Tori's lumbar curve is structural or compensatory? Joe's is structural and our dr. fused from T4 down to L4, so I was just thinking if Tori's lower curve is structural and her dr. can still get good correction by only going to L1 that is great b/c flexibility/mobility may be somewhat of an issue when Joe actually is allowed to bend, stretch and twist again.

Again, good wishes for an uncomplicated, uneventful surgery and recovery.

Renee

Comment

Thats great to hear how well your daughter did with the blood donation. I think that has to be the worse part of all the pre op procedures!! If she sailed through that, then I am sure she will do great with the actual surgery.

I did think of one small thing that you (or anyone else with a teenage daughter facing this) might want to do. On our instruction list of what to do before surgery, it was noted that the Dr. wanted her hair in two braids, this way making it easier to keep it out of the way.

Carly has long hair, and I knew if I just braided it myself, it would be loose and coming undone by that night. So the afternoon before she went in, I brought her to a salon and had the stylist french braid it, one on each side. I explained to her the situation, so she did it nice and tight and secure.

It stayed in perfectly! The whole time she was in the hospital, her hair looked wonderful. Not only did it make it easier for the Dr and nurses to do what they needed to do during her hospital stay, she looked great for visitors. (very important for 14 year old girl). It was well worth the forty dollars!

Comment

That's funny -- we did the braids too, which was part of the pre-surgical recommendations from our doctor. Only, I played the hair stylist...not a professional, which is a very smart idea. The downside of the braids -- an emotional downside. My 17-year-old daughter looked about eight years old and it broke my heart.

I agree, if the blood donating went well, I think you've got a trooper on your hands, Patricia. On one of the blood donation trips, my husband went with Liz to donate as well. As the two of them sat in side-by-side chairs, he got light-headed and almost passed out. Liz sat there, unfazed, looking embarrassed that her dad was having a rough time with it! Needless to say, he came home feeling like Liz was going to be great during her hospital ordeal...and she was! So, I think you witnessed a good sign of things to come.

Here's one more thing I could add to your preparations. Liz packed a bag, but never needed it. She wore the hospital gown the whole time. I would bring some sanitary napkins...periods have a tendancy to come on after surgery and it's nice to bring your own.

Let us know if we can help. Love, Ann

Comment

Shelby's surgery is June 19 so we have started the "almost only a month to go".

my surgery is june 19th also. and im starting the feel the nervousness of, wow this is really going to happen. =]

Comment

Thank you everyone for all of you help!!

Renee,
                      Tori's lumbar curve measured at 53. I am not entirely sure whether it is compensatory or not. The Dr. did say that it was not very flexible. He also said that many surgeons may opt to fuse her lumbar spine but that he did not want to limit her mobility. Originally he was going to fuse T5-T12, but in the waiting for surgery, the curves have progressed and he is now looking at either T4 or T5-L1. A bit of bad news. Scoliosis is such a stubborn disease!
                      Thank you for writing to us. We watched you Joe through. You're son is awesome!
                      Suzmob,
                      Thank you for the hair tip. Tori actually mentioned pigtail braids. She wears them in the winter when she snowboards. How is Carly doing? We met another girl who had her surgery just a little bit after Carly and she is already well on her way. These kids are so amazing!
                      Ann,
                      This is so great. I feel like I know you all. Thank you for continuing on this forum and helping us go through. It helps to have the support of the Moms that are already through.
                      My husband kids me all the time about over packing.I'll try to lighten up on the packing and just bring the necessities. I'm already planning on leaving most of the gifty things I've gotten Tori at home for her to come home to. We have a 4 hour trip to Boston. I plan to bring a few things to cheer her up!
                      So far she is not folding. I am amazed at her strength.
                      Lindsay,
                      Good Luck on your surgery. The jitters are natural. You will have alot of people helping you through. Keep reading this forum, it really helps to calm me down.
                      Thanks everyone,
                      Patricia
                      *BILLIE JOE*

Comment

good luck! im having surgery in 13 days!
                        ~Wanda~
                        40TL curve pre op
                        Posterior Spinal Fusion with Dr. Pablo Marrero
                        San Jorge Children's Hospital in Puerto Rico
                        June 7, 2006
                        post op curve: 16

Comment

Praying for Tori

Hi Patricia,
                          Shelby and I have been thinking about and praying for Tori and her upcoming surgery. My husband is going to donate blood today so this is all becoming very real to us. We leave Saturday for a 7 day cruise to get our minds off of everything but it seems I can never stop thinking about it. I had a last consultation with Shelby's surgeon last week and he just excudes confidence and positivity. He told me to let him worry about her surgery. Easier said then done. I am so ready to be "on the other side of scoliosis surgery". Shelby has always acted as though she was ready for surgery but said the other day that she didn't think that she was. We have a neighborhood pool and we have been there everyday since the last day of school. I know she is sad thinking about not having much of a summer but her doctor was adamant about her not missing any school. How is Tori doing with all of this? And you, are you holding up allright? Please know that alot of people are thinking about you, Tori and your family. Please let us know how she is as soon as you can.

Good Luck and God Bless
                          Kathy

Comment

surgery tomorrow!

my surgery is tomorrow and we are headed for the hospital now!
                            *BILLIE JOE*

Comment

Working...
                            X