How much taller did you get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much taller did you get?

Hi everyone, how much taller did you get after surgery?

What was your curvature before surgery?

My surgery is in less than a month and my curvature now is 55 on top and 44 on bottom. Just a little curious what your experiences were. Thanks

three inches...

Jess,

I had this huge growth spurt a few years before my surgery, where I went from 5'7" to 5'10" then as my back got worse I sort of "shrunk" back down to 5'8". After my surgery three years later I am 5'11" so I grew quite a bit afterwards. My curve was 81 degrees (just ONE C curve) and now my curve is 19 . It was one of the nicer parts of surgery ... (when there are so few)

Hope that helps!
    Godbless
    lisanicole
    lisanicolegrace
    29/F/Canada
    Surgery - 11/10/2000
    80° curve to 19° post op.
    www.lisanicolegrace.com
    @lisanicolegrace
    facebook
    x-rays
    picture of my back

Comment

Wow...you grew quite a bit! Though we all know that the cosmetic part of the surgery is not the most important part, it still is pretty important. In my case, and I'm sure yours too, its kind of tough growing up looking different than everyone else. Nothing fits right, and so on.

I know for me, I was always annoyed with my short waist and I hoping that I look a little more thinned out in that area. How did your appearance change after the procedure?

Comment

appearance...

Jess,

My hump decreased by about half. My torsoe seems longer, and my body more proportioned, I have really long legs and now my torsoe and my legs are little more evened out. And then obviously the scar is there... (I only have one.. they didn't mess around with my ribs, and I dont have a hip scar from the bone graft). But I like the scar. It's still pretty purple (3 years later) but the doc said eventually it'll turn white. That's about it appearance wise. Ofcourse it changed me a lot on the inside too.. (haha not just the rods and screws) but personally ya know? It was good. When is your surgery, or have you already had it?

All the best,
        Godbless
        lisanicole
        lisanicolegrace
        29/F/Canada
        Surgery - 11/10/2000
        80° curve to 19° post op.
        www.lisanicolegrace.com
        @lisanicolegrace
        facebook
        x-rays
        picture of my back

Comment

many changes

Hey, Jess! I am 21 and had surgery about 2 years ago. My curvature was about the same as yours except my lower was worse than my upper. After my surgery I grew about an inch and a half! I loved that part! It was also crazy how much my body changed. My ribs cage got smaller, my hips are actually aligned, and I no longer had such a short torso. It was kind of annoying, though, because I had to relearn what clothes looked good on me Now that the hump is gone on my back and all the other changes, I feel a lot more confident about my appearance. I feel normal! No more standing wierd to hide my uneven hips or carrying my backpack on one shoulder to hide their uneveness. My scar is not that bad at all. The one from the bone graft is actually the uglier one since they used stiches, it is more raised than the main scar. Even after this short of time, my scars have faded A LOT! My main scar is pretty much flesh tone. One thing I did that helped is taking Vitamin E. It is really good to rub the oil right on the scar, but my scar was too sensitive for that. Instead I just took the vitamin orally. Anyway, guess that's enough about me! Let me know if you have any other questions!

Comment

Thanks for your replies...it always helps to hear some encouragement. Oh-and my surgery is March 19 Lisanicole, getting pretty close , but it will be over soon.

Thanks for the vitamin E tip Susan, I'll remember that. I totally understand what your saying about trying on close again . I feel crazy as it is with the clothes I've had forever. I'll probably end up trying on everything on again too, then they'll all end up on the floor like they always do...ha.

Comment

Recent Surgery

Hey Jess,
              I just had my scoliosis surgery three weeks ago!!!! I'm so glad its over, but it hasn't been easy. I don't know what my curvature was, but I will try to help as much as I can. I have a single curve in my upper back, so luckily I haven't had any hip problems. Because of my scoliosis I had a HUGE hump on my back (nicknamed Humphrey by friends). My surgery was the regular spinal fusion, and I had five ribs removed as well.

The results have been pretty good. I'm really straight and my hump is completely gone, and I'm an inch and a half taller. I love it! I'm still not happy with my right shoulder blade prominence, but hopefully that will improve over time.

I hope I've been helpful. Feel free to ask me any questions about the surgery and good luck!
              Charlotte

48 degree upper curve
              L2 to T4
              Braced for 4 years
              Surgery 2/4/04

Comment

hey,

i am 17 and had surgery two years ago. i was 6'1" before surgery and 6'4" a month after surgery. I had a kyphotic curve of about 85.

Comment

hi!!at first i grew 2in. but after my spine seteled i only was an inch taller. my top curve was 59 anad now its 34 and the bottom was62 and now it is 27!!!
                  luve allways,
                  *Paige*
                  __-------______--------______-------__
                  12years old had postier fusion Jan.22,o4!!

Comment

Hi I'm new
                    I'm turning 19 in a few more days and I had surgery when I was 13. I think before that my worst curve was around 52* I was about 5'2" and after surgery I was like 5'3" exactly or barely over. Now I'm 5'4" but that's because my legs grew a little post-op. My worst curve now is about 26*.

Andrea

Comment

Working...
                    X