To bend or not to bend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To bend or not to bend

I'm curious about something. I was told, after my surgeries when they involved fusion, to not bend for the first three months. After my first surgery, that's what I did(couldn't bend anyways), and magically after three months I bend down to get something and didn't even think about it, and bended at the hips. After that, although I was a bit stiff, as I saw I could do it, I thought it was good to do it like that since I thought I was cleared for it, and that the only way I would regain my flexibility would be to start bending more. Right now, I'm five months post revision for a non union, and even if I can bend (with my knees bented a bit, and am way more stiff than the first time),I bend at the knees, not only b/c it's easier for me, but I have now been told by my orhto that it's best to do so and I have read posts from people post op here that still don't bend much after three months, for cautious reasons.

Anyway, if anybody is still following me (or cares, LOL), I wonder if it's bad to bend after three months for the fusion, as I feel the time period on it changes.
    35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
    Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
    Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
    Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
    Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

I agree. I haven't bent but once from the hips & my body told me about it. Even though I have been cleared at 6 months, I still bend with my knees (although I do that more than I could have before!). Hang in there...Good luck to you! Linda

Comment

Hi Sweetness...

I've been told by several surgeons, that complete fusion takes about 12 months in adults, so I certainly would try to avoid it a little longer, especially since you've already had a pseudarthrosis.

Regards,
      Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thanks Linda(crookedspine), and good luck to you too, glad you're doing so well, I know how the 6 month mark is so important

Oh Gosh Linda I sure hope it wasn't all the bending that made me have a non union the first time, some doctors should be more careful in what they tell their patients I know, what's done is done...

I'm so used at bending with my hips anyways, it's not a problem.
        35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
        Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
        Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
        Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
        Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Working...
        X