Massage Therapy after Surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Massage Therapy after Surgery

My daughter is 5 weeks post-op. Posterier fusion T3-T12. While at the hospital a massage therapist visited her and was able to massage her neck and shoulders. She talked about therapy after fusion to help break down scar tisssue etc. I would think this would require someone highly specialized. Has anyone heard of or had massage therapy after surgery?Also another question. How active were your teens a couple monthes after surgery? I'm wondering how much she will be able to do this summer.
    Kate

kATE
    My Daughter is 13 months post-op and is going to be 14 on may 21. We started pt at 3 months post-op. They had a pool at the place I took her. Which was great for her then they started doing regular stuff with her in the gym. I was unhappy with them and found another place to go. At the new place my daughter started seeing a women who specialized in massage therapy. Nicole would see her first then go into the gym. I'm still taking her once a week for therapy. The massage therapist has worked with her muscle spams and help break down scar tisssue. I felt it was a good thing for her and her scar is smooth and has faded. Our surgeon did a wonderful job on her incision this was also a +. My Nicole didn't do too much at first. Her Doctor had lots of restrictions as I'm sure you also have. At 4 months (july) she was allow to swim and we did that daily in our pool in the backyard with a noodle. Towards the end of the summer she was swimming underwater. In sept at 6 months I let her start dancing again and after that she just has never looked back. She has been dancing for 10 years and loves it. She is doing ballet, jazz and hip hop 6 hours a week. As far as sports she was never into that. She also is in marching band and started doing that at 6 months also. Kate it goes by fast before you know it she will be back to her normal teenage ways.
    Theresa
    THERESA

Comment

Hi,
      I'm also Nicole's Mom. I am glad to hear that your Nicole is doing so well. My daughter is also a dancer and I wondered if your daughter has said that that any of her flexibility has changed. Can you tell me where she was fused? My daughter has two curves of 39 and 41. She is in a Spinecor brace.

Thanks so much,

Melissa
      Melissa
      From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
      Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

Melissa
        My Nicole is fused from T-4 to L-1 . My daughter also has two curves before surgery T-58 L-55. After surgery T-20 L-30. She was very flexible before surgery and says she feels the same as she did before surgery as far as dancing. The only problem shes having is in ballet the jumps are hurting the middle part of her back. The doctor says in time this will get better.
        THERESA

Comment

it works a treat
          Virtual Pets |
          Games |
          Create a Virtual Pet

Comment

Working...
          X