Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• long fusion

HI

I was told that I need surgery and that I have to be fused from T4 to sacum or to the pelvis. . Also, it would be two surgeries posterior and anterior surgery due to my scoliosis, (three side curves and one small forward), degenerative disc disease and spinal stenosis. The doctor said he is going to try and do both surgeries on the same day, but if he can't - I will have the second surgery 10 days later. The doctor told me I would spent 10 days in the hospital and 10 days in rehab. What kind of a mess will I be after surgery - that I will need 10 days in the hospital and then 10 in rehab. I am worried about how much movement I will lose, I am pretty active. I am married and have a child,I work full time and exercise almost every day. Should I wait until the pain takes my movement away and then have surgery or is best to get it done while I am still kind of young (43 yrs)? Has anyone out there gone through such a long fusion and how has your movement been?

Thanks
    Sue
    lumbar curve 60 degrees
    low lumbar - 24 degrees
    thor - 46 degrees

Hi Sue...

You have a really tough decision. This surgery is bigger than you can possibly imagine. Most of us have a lot of pain, at least in the early recovery period. That's why many surgeons encourage their patients to wait until they have a lot of pain to even consider going through it.

Your age is also an issue. While I routinely talk to people who have these surgeries in their 50's, 60's, and even 70's, recovery at 43 will probably be easier than recovery 10 or 20 years from now.

If you'd like, I can put you in touch with a woman who had scoliosis surgery at the age of 66, one year ago. She's doing incredibly well. Send me a PM, and I'll send you her contact information.

Who is your surgeon?

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Sue!

I had surgery fusing from T4 to Sacrum also... I'm 53 and am 7 months post-op... back at work and doing well... I was in the hospital 11 days, had 3 different surgeries 3 days apart... it was really rough at the beginning, but i am so glad i did it! There are a lot of things to consider and each person and situation is different, of course... For myself i wish i'd done it sooner, but my children might have been too young to handle everything as well as they did if i had. Also, my hubby has mellowed more over the years , and my daughter had a home of her own that i needed to stay in for a couple of weeks... several things fell into place that wouldn't have if i'd done it sooner...

This is a great place to get suggestions and advice... Lots of valuable information and practical solutions too! Hope these folks can help you as much as they have helped me.

JoAnn

Comment

long fusion

Thank god I found this site. I didn't know anyone who had scoliosis, it was something I tried to hide any never told anyone. I have been trying to hide my bump for 31 years, ashamed of it. Reading so many stories - I don't feel alone anymore. I feel better about myself. I have told all my friends and some family member who didn't know, about my scoliosis and even showed them my bump and let them touch it. something I never thought I would do. I guess I hid it pretty well because everyone was surprised and kind of shocked, but all were very supportive.

Scared to death of this extensive surgery and rehab I face - this forum is a big comfort, full of wonderful caring people.

Sue

Comment

Sue,
          I can totally relate to the hiding of your scoliosis. I never wore backless stuff and I guess the only ones who ever saw me in a bikini already knew I had some back curve. But boy when they saw my pre-op x-rays (I played show and tell over the x-mas hoildays) My friends and family were floored to say the least! Now that I have had surgery and run into others I have seen on and off through the years they are shocked and never knew I had scoliosis. Let alone bad enough to have corrective surgery. Now as for age....I too am 43 and it is YOUNG for this surgery which is GOOD! The nurses were surprised I had back surgery for scoliosis at my age as they are use to much older patients for scoliosis surgery. (The young ones having back surgery usually are in some type of accident.) They kept telling me how great I was doing and thought it was due to my age. I was lumbar 49* with rotation and am now 8*. I am fused T10 to L4 . I was not scared going into surgery just ready to get it over with. As for the pain that quite a few people keep saying is so awful.... well, I had alot of pain when I first started to become coherent. Untill my Dr's got the right drug combo worked out for me, which didn't take long, I was fairly comfortable. My worst pain was when my morphine button jammed or got plugged up or what ever happened to it and I went 4 hours without it working! I have pain when I screw up and don't take my meds on time. Or now when I over due it as I am weaning off pain meds. The pain IS NOT as much an issue as a lot of people say. Unless I had a Dr. who was so hell bent on me not suffering that he had a magic combo of meds he is unwilling to share with the world, I say don't worry. Besides the pain when/if you have it is a means to an end and it is not not getting worse as time goes on like it does before surgery. Best wishes. Suzy

Comment

long fusion

Thanks - I appreciate your response.

Comment

I am 6 months postop and fused from T2 to the sacrum. My surgery was anterior and posterior on the same day (8 hours) and 5 days in the hospital, 5 in rehab. Recovery is incredibly hard, but worth it, no doubt the most difficult thing you will ever do in your life. I was 49 when I had my surgery. Thank God I had my husband to help out. I look back and think, "how did I ever get through everything?" Goals helped, like being able to walk, drive, going to Physical Therapy, getting off pain meds, going back to work, etc. I really feel great now. You have good days and bad days during the recovery. I am looking forward to my year anniversary postop when everyone says you will really feel back to normal. Good luck to you.

Comment

Thank you

Comment

Working...
                X