I have a heart murmur...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a heart murmur...

I just returned from my pre-op physical and have been diagnosed with a heart murmur. He confirmed his diagnosis on EKG. Good news is that my doctor doesn't think it's life threatening (he's 99% sure it is the benign or innocent kind). I have never been diagnosed with anything like this before and don't know what to think. I am really kind of down about everything. Does anyone out there know whether scoliosis, especially congenital scoliosis, can cause such a thing?

Thanks,
    Brandi
    Brandi
    Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
    Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
    L1-S1
    Dr. William Lauerman
    Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
    Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
    http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

I don't know if it can cause such a thing but when I had my pre-op ekg, I had a slight one as well.
    Odd.
    36 year old single mom of teens ages 14 & 15.
    Anterior/posterior spinal fusion on February 9th & 16th 2006 with Dr. Anthony Moreno who now has his own practice.
    Fused from T-3 to S-1 (sacrum)
    Curve pre-op = 70 degrees
    Curve post op = 20 degrees
    No pain anymore!!
    Google is your friend

I am not a doctor and will never give medical advice. I will support and answer questions from personal experience only.

Comment

I have two daughters. One with Scoliosis and one with a heart murmur.

Mary Lou
      Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

I have major double scoliosis and have known for quite some time that I have a heart murmur. I also have some regurgitation. It will be interesting to see how that is addressed at my pre-op visits after all the testing. But count me as another scoliosis patient with a heart murmur....°Ü°

Comment

Hi bbest,

I have known since I was young that I have a heart murmur. It hasn't affected my life in any way, in fact,I can't tell I have one. The only thing is I have to take 2000mg of Amoxicillian 1 hour before dental cleaning or dental work. You will be fine.

Kindest Regards,
          Gail

Comment

Like Gail, I have also had a heart murmur since i was young (also had surgery when I was young) - other than dental visits I also don't notice...and to be honest...only the "good" doctors detect that murmur when listening

Keep your chin up
            Always Smilin

Always Smilin'
            Colleen

1982 fused T2-L1
            pre op 45 - post op 33 (left thoracic)
            pre op 53 - post op 18 (right thoracic)

recheck 2006
            right thoracic 57
            lower lumbar 34

surgical revision April 28,2009
            revision T3-L1; new fusion L1-L4
            unsure of degrees at this point

Comment

Hmmm, I am beginning to see a pattern here. In addition to myself, four other scoliotics who happen to post to this board have a heart murmur. I am not a doctor but could it be possible, that having scoliosis predisposes you to developing a heart murmur?
              Brandi
              L1-S1
              Dr. William Lauerman
              Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback

Comment

Another scoliosis patient with heart murmur

I have also been told that I have a heart murmur; although one time the dr. will hear it and another they won't. I get a racing heartbeat at times; other than that it has no effect.

Age 47
                Disabled with sciatic inflammation
                Double scoliosis
                65T, 75L
                Upcoming fusion surgery 12/06

Comment

me too

I also have a murmur which at one time was thought to be mitral valve prolapse, but after a cardiac ultrasound they pronounced me normal. I do have palpitations when I overdo caffeine or sweets. When I had a tonscillectomy in 1985, my heard sped up when they first put me under, which the anesthesiologist later told me scared him a bit, but then my heart settled right down. I'm sure it will be an issue at surgery time, but I doubt if it will keep me from having the surgery.

I think half the population is walking around with detected or undetected murmurs; from what I've seen and read, it just seems to be a catch-call phrase for a "click" or slight irregularity of the heartbeat.

Brandi, best of luck to you, and best wishes for no complications and a quick recovery.
                  Chris
                  Chris
                  A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                  Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                  Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                  Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

There are also other heart problems associated with scoliosis. I just did a quick search typing "scoliosis and heart" and quite a bit came up. The Texas Heart Institute had this about Mitral Valve Prolapse:

"Most people with MVP are small-framed or have minor chest wall deformities, scoliosis, or other skeletal disorders."

Comment

Heart murmur

I'm not sure what a heart murmur really is, I'm bilingual but French is my first and learning laguage, I don't want to act silly for asking, but could anyone tell me if there are symptoms and what it is?

I do get palpitations from time too time when I over do it(sometimes it doesn't take much when I'm tired and being an insomniac I'm prone to having them), and my heartbeat is never under 90-usually between 90 and 110- and that is high.
                      35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
                      Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
                      Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
                      Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
                      Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

I've got one. Pre-op it was considered "innocent". Post-op I have beenhaving problems, and am currently seeing Drs. about it, but no resolution yet as to whether the correction surgery had anything to do with it. (I also have a blood clotting dirsorder and recently had a PE, which could be related to the heart thing. (Did the heart issue trigger the PE, or the clotting issue, they play off each other so it is difficult to distinguish.) To complicate matters I have been having anxiety over it all, which is causing my heart to act wonky, so it is hard to distinguish between an actual heart issue, or an anxiety induced heart issue too. I'll post more when I have more issues, but I certainly have been paying a lot closer attention to it than I did pre-op.
                        Meg is Spinewhine
                        31 years old with thoracic curve
                        Wore Boston brace as teenager, but curve continued to progress.
                        Surgery on 12/13/2005 with correction from over 55 degrees to under 25 degrees. (Ya baby!)

The nitty gritty at:
                        http://spinewhine.blogspot.com/

Comment

In college, I was examined for sports activities & they found I had an irregular heartbeat?? don't know until I go for testing in June if I still have that...I don't know if that's different than a heart mur-mur?? LY

Comment

I am amazed at how many folks on this board alone have a heart murmur. I know it is relatively common, but is it this common among the rest of the population? I think a little research is in order.
                            Brandi
                            L1-S1
                            Dr. William Lauerman

Comment

Sweetness-
                              The best way that I can explain a heart murmur is that when your doctor listens to your heart he/she will hear an extra noise with the blood pumping through your heart. The reading I've done says that heart murmurs are generally harmless and that most children will at some time be diagnosed with a heart murmur (an extra little sound). I do think that most children outgrow heart murmurs; although, I have not.

Hope this helps some
                              Always Smilin

Always Smilin'
                              Colleen

1982 fused T2-L1
                              pre op 45 - post op 33 (left thoracic)
                              pre op 53 - post op 18 (right thoracic)

recheck 2006
                              right thoracic 57
                              lower lumbar 34

surgical revision April 28,2009
                              revision T3-L1; new fusion L1-L4