Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not sure where to post this... Many questions - can you help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not sure where to post this... Many questions - can you help?

Hi everyone,

I am new to this website, but not at all new to the world of scoliosis. I wore a brace for two and a half years when I was in junior high school (from 1989 through 1991 or 92). I had the surgury in 1993 when I had just turned 15. I am now about to turn 28 and life has been great these past 13 years. Of course, I have had my little difficulties as you would expect, but overall, I am very happy that I had the surgury (it wasn't an option for me - I was told I would be bedridden by the age of 18 otherwise). Anyway, even though my life is great and I mostly feel like a normal adult, lately I have been having some questions and I don't know where to turn or who to ask.

I was married almost three years ago to a wonderful man. We have a great marriage and I can feel us slowly moving in the direction of starting a family beyond the two of us. I have always been drawn to adoption, especially of older kids, and he is well aware of that, but we have also always talked about having biological kids as well. I've never admitted this, but this really scares me on a couple of levels. First, I don't know if I can physically do it and I have a couple of questions about that:
    1. Would carrying the child during pregnancy be extra difficult for me?
    2. Would the act of giving birth create any special challenges for me? (I once heard a rumor from a nurse that it would be near impossible for someone with a spinal fusion and harrington rods to use an epidural - is this true?)
    Secondly, I am terrified to pass along scoliosis or worse. I have this weird fear that my genes are "weak" in general. I feel like if I had a child, it would be likely that I would have a child that had much more severe scoliosis than I had. I also fear that the child would have other issues, like down's syndrome or something like that (which is totally unfounded, I might add). I just have this fear of my genes, since I feel like they failed me so much - that I can't trust them to do right by my children. Is this totally weird or what? Does anyone else feel this way?

If you have had children after surgury, I would LOVE to hear from you.

Thanks!

Lisa

Giving birth post-operatively

Hi Lisa.. wanted to respond to you and let you know that you do not need to be afraid of giving birth after having scoliosis surgery... at least not beyond the normal concerns and considerations of being healthy and happy.

I had surgery when I was 10 years old (over 28 years ago), have had NO problems since. I have a herrington rod over my thoracic region. I too was told that I may have trouble carrying a baby and actually giving birth. HOWEVER... I sailed through pregnancy - was VERY lucky and got an almost textbook happy pregnancy, and had a very uneventful natural delivery (18 hours, but good).

I will tell you that I called for an epidural just as I started transition labor (the tough/painful part)... but it didn't work. The anesthesiologist did say that he would attribute that to the placement of the scar tissue around my fusion to the problem. BUT... after about 30 minutes of transition labor... my own endorphines were pretty much all I found I needed to get me through. The human body is an amazing thing! I'd advise you to meet with the anesthesiologist prior if that's of a huge concern to you. There are other options besides an epidural and they can advise you accordingly.

Keep us posted on your decision... good luck!

Comment

Hi Lisa...

In addition to any responses you get here, you may want to do a search (see icon above), as there have been many threads on the topic of pregnancy.

Regards,
      Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Lisa...

From what I read here and what I learned IRL from women with scoliosis and who are fused who had children, there are great outcomes who barely have pain(or any at all) and there are others who had more pain during the pregnancy and needed additional treatments later on due to pain and added stress on disks, so it all depends on the person, once again. One who has no pain before hand and is really fit without much problems(like DDD) will of course have a greater chance of having a great pregnancy and childbirth. One of my friends who didn't have scoliosis had major lower back pain while pregnant-it is hard on the lumbar region without a doubt. As for passing scoliosis, it is heredetary, but I'm the only one in my family who has it. I do know some families where almost all the women have it(and even some men, but it's more rare), but some have smaller curves and not all need surgery.

Just be informed so you will make the decision that is right for you.
        35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
        Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
        Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
        Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
        Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Working...
        X