Dermatome damage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dermatome damage?

Hi there. I'm new at this... pardon me for any breaches of protocol. My daughter is 12, diagnosed with a high curve a year ago. She was at 40 degrees, we put her in a Milwaukee brace, she's been doing pilates vigilantly and also seeing an osteopathist. In the last six months she has curved a further 7 degrees. In addition, she recently confessed that she has no feeling in her right breast and back. We believe it is a dermatome eminating from her curving spine. She just had multiple MRI's. However, as is usual with Kaiser, we aren't scheduled to see the neurologist until June. So of course we (I should say I) am freaking out from lack of information... Any light shed would be useful Thanks, Marisot.

Your daughter needs to be seeing a pediatric ortho, not a neuro. You may have to be real *itch and get into someones face to get Kaiser to respond. Kaiser has some good doc's, but the corp. is in business to make money first, medicine second. The exercise is great, but won't stop the progression of the curve (s). In some cases bracing will not stop the curvature either.
    SandyC

Comment

numbness

It might be from brace pressure.
      Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
      Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Thank you for your kind replies. The brace has been thought about but we are afraid to take her out. We are in contact with both ortho people and neuro people but the ortho people do nothing until she is seen by the neuro people. I was just wondering whether anyone else had ever heard or experienced this dermatome problem... Will she suffer permanent damage? Do nerves get damanged like that and then just rebound?

I am having a hard time managing kaiser... they seem to be like some kind of information void. Everything syphons through the docs and they are so busy you have to sit on your thumbs for what seems like an eternity! Also, they talk to each other but are never in the same room which seems weird to me.

Comment

Working...
        X