The Incredible Shrinking Woman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Incredible Shrinking Woman

I wasn't tall to begin with -- just under five feet 25 years ago -- but now I'm just UNDER four-ten. I had my husband measure me again because I've been noticing that it's harder and harder for me to see myself in the medicine-cabinet mirror. In the last 4 months I've lost another quarter inch, and I had lost another quarter inch in the six months before THAT. (Boachie confirmed the height loss.) He measures me in the exact same spot using the same yardstick,with me stretching my neck to be as tall as I can...and I keep shrinking!! He's also noticed that my left hip is sticking out more than ever.

Could I really be progressing that fast? I realize that people have height variances when they're tired or whether it's morning or evening, etc., but believe me we checked the measurement a thousand times because we just couldn't believe it. I am FREAKED OUT.
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

me too...

Singer,
    I was just thinking about that last night...I'll be curious when I go in & get checked next month. I thiink I went down in height too since January's visit, although haven't measured... most of my pants are dragging more & the left hip looks way out (more) & the right hip is abnormally way in. It should just confirm we are doing the right thing by getting helped....I can hardly look when I change shirts(in the mirror) because I look so deformed....aughh! Lynne

http://lynnebackattack.blogspot.com

ant/post op in a couple mths...

Comment

It is entirely possible that you can be losing height that fast. Three or four years ago I was 5'4"....same height that I have been since about age 13. When I went in for my bone scan test and was measured for the first time in a couple years I was measured at 5'2. That really shocked me. This year I was measured at not quite 5'1". I have lost over 3 inches in less than 4 years. So here I am at the age of 57 facing major scoliosis surgery before my chest has no room for my heart and lungs. I wish I had realized the seriousness of this a few years ago before I lost so much height at such a fast pace. I have a double major "S" curve 78/82 degrees and lots of pain.

Comment

Even though I haven't read anything official about this, I really do suspect a correlation between rapid progression and menopause, because I've noticed the biggest changes in my scoliosis since I went through menopause almost two years ago (I'll be 51 this month). I had a bone density scan and I do NOT have osteoporosis.

Could there be a hormonal component to all of this? I wonder.

Hubby says maybe we should book our summer vacation at the Lilttle People's Convention in Cleveland this year....very funny!!!!!

Chris
        Chris
        A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
        Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
        Post-op curve: 12 degrees
        Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Hi All,

There is no question that menopause accelerates progression. After all, you are losing estrogen and that loss causes the bones to weaken. I never really noticed a progression of my scoliosis until I reached the menopause years. At age 57, I am one year post menopause and I have lost 2½" in height, going from 5'6½ to 5'4". Scoliosis puts us at an even higher risk for osteoporosis. A recent bone density test revealed that I have osteopenia, and I am now taking Boniva.

What's interesting is that my arm span measures 69". So my actual height is 5'9". That is believable since my twin brother shot up to 6'2" and I have a sister who grew to 5'9" and another sister 5'8". They've since each lost an inch in height just from normal aging (on average, we lose 1/2" in height for every decade after age 40). I'm estimating that when I reached skeletal maturity at age 14, I probably had a 50 deg. curve in my spine which would explain why I never stood 5'9". I believe every 10 deg. of curve in your spine will shorten your height by 1/2". Now my curve measures 75 deg. accounting for the additional loss of height in addition to height loss from aging.

This height loss thing really throws the body out of proportion. Like you, Lynne, I can't stand to look at myself in a mirror anymore.

Chris

Comment

Lately at night when I crawl up the stairs, I feel like I have a monkey(heavy monkey) on my back! I can't even look at the hump-(back)
            Chris---my arms stretched out to 5'8" too in the Dr.'s office...From that moment on I was teary thru the whole appmt! I measured 5'4" in January & used to be 5'8". I'm too scared to see if I went down anymore...intuitively I think I have &some of my pants are draggin' on the ground & I have to really roll them up a lot................LY http://lynnebackattack.blogspot.com

Comment

I think you are right. I have quickly gone down in height especially since reaching menopause about 4 years ago.....

I had a bone density test 3 years ago and was told I had osteoporosis in my spine but nowhere else. Then one year ago after being on Fosomax for 2 years the test showed that I now had improved to osteopenia.

However....the interesting thing Dr. Shelokov told me was that many times scoliosis patients test positive for osteoporosis when they don't really have it. He wants me to get the numbers from my two tests to see what they say. He said it is nearly impossible to take a correct reading if you have severe scoliosis. I know they had a hard time testing me and had to have 3 people hold me in a position that would allow them to test!

Comment

I have my bone density tested at the wrist and hip because of the hardware.

I do not have osteoporosis either.

Pre-op they tried it at Special Surgery but I was so twisted it was rather useless. No sense getting any more radiation than necessary.

I KNOW my curves got worse between the time I scheduled --3 months- and the time of surgery. It's like a rock rolling down a hill--it gets faster and faster.
                Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
                Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Working...
                X