No announcement yet.

3 month post-op appointment went well.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 month post-op appointment went well.

I had my appointment with Doc Moreno today.
    My x-rays look awesome. We couldn't get copies cuz they are full body but sis took pics with her digital and she's going to upload and email them to me.

He said he's not sure what the clicking and ache is with my right hip but to just keep an eye on it and if it's still doing it in a month, to call him back an we'll x-ray again.

He said I do stuff too fast. I know this.
    I got up from my chair fast, walked fast to the x-ray room, sat down fast.
    He said it all looks good but I'm too fast. I know I am but after all these years of sitting on my ass, on days when I feel good, I want to just 'go'.
    He told me I need to slow it down a bit because if it is that screw in my SI joint causing me all that pain, that doing stuff too fast might loosen it and we don't want that.

The only exercise I am allowed to do is walking. That's it.
    So much for trying to do scissor kicks and other tummy toners.
    He said in a few more months, I can do a stationary bike.
    He also said the brace can come off in June. Yay!!!

He's prescribing me a bone growth stimulator too. It helps your bones fuse faster. He's sending it directly to the insurance company himself so that they can't turn me down for it. He said most insurance doesn't turn it down because they know that patients who use them have a less chance of the fusion not taking.

He's using my case as his presentation when he does conferences because my case was so extreme. The lack of pedicules and the loss of discs and nerve damage I had, are all things a lot of surgeons have trouble with and is the number one reason I was turned down by all the other surgeons I had seen. He said he spoke with one of the surgeons I had seen who is a member of the spine institute and had turned me down. That surgeon told him that all the problems I had are the reason he wouldn't do it. He didn't know if it would take and if he could do it but Doc Moreno told him he did it and found ways around my lack of pedicules and ways to fix all the nerve and disc damage.
    So now when he does conferences with other scoliosis surgeons, he presents my case to them and is teaching other surgeons how to do extreme cases.
    He asked my permission to go further in depth with how much of my personal history he talks about.
    He has just been using generic information about me, 36 yr. old female, 2 natural childbirths and the information about my spine. He asked if he could go further by using my name and my own birth history, my being adopted and what little information I knew about my birth parents. He thinks it's all crucial information to better help understand why my spine was as messed up as it was.
    He's going to use my case to teach others.
    That's pretty cool.

I don't have to go back for 6 months but if I have any problems at all between now and then, to call him immediately.
    He just wants me to take it slow and just heal. Take the supplements I have been taking, the cal/mag/zinc tablets he said are a great idea and to keep it up.
    As far as the nerve issues in my thighs and back, he said if it tingles and feels pin pricky, it's a good sign. It simply means the nerves are regrowing. I told him that I can't feel anything in my back at all unless you really slap it. I can't feel touches or anything. He said it will take much more time for the nerves to regrow there because that is where I was cut open and the layers of skin need to heal and grow.
    My incisions all look great though. That one section where it was open wounds and infected are all closed up and healing finally but it looks great.

So there we are. I'm doing good, healing nicely and I need to slow it down.
    I'm frigging exhausted though. Riding in the car is really hard, I get super stiff and it's such a long ride to and from.
    I went and got my meds refilled, they upped my med count so I don't have to keep requesting refills every two weeks and to not worry about those. When I run out, simply place the request on-line again and they'll mail it out that day. He doesn't expect me to be off pain meds until November which is when my 6 month appointment is or maybe even longer. It's just one of those things you can never really know about.
    Some people are on meds their whole lives even though the surgery was successful. *shrug*

Later days.
    Last edited by katblack; 05-03-2006, 03:58 PM.
    36 year old single mom of teens ages 14 & 15.
    Anterior/posterior spinal fusion on February 9th & 16th 2006 with Dr. Anthony Moreno who now has his own practice.
    Fused from T-3 to S-1 (sacrum)
    Curve pre-op = 70 degrees
    Curve post op = 20 degrees
    No pain anymore!!
    Google is your friend

I am not a doctor and will never give medical advice. I will support and answer questions from personal experience only.

This is wonderful news. Sounds like Dr. Moreno is a super doctor who takes the time to explain--like Boachie.

My right hip was achy too for awhile.
    Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
    Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Doctor Moreno is amazing. He takes the time to explain every little thing, wants to know every little detail. He asked how I was getting along with doing things like showering and personal hygiene etc. I told him I can't shave my own legs below shin level so my sons do it while I sit on the side of the tub in shorts and t-shirts..lol He thought that was funny. I really can't bend far enough yet to reach that low.
      I told him how I dress using office paper clips and strings and lowering my pants to the floor and putting my feet in and pulling up on the string until I can reach them. he laughed.
      He's just really great, personable.

One of the things I really like about him and his whole staff is it's been 3 months since my last appointment and they see 100's of people each week and yet you walk in and every single staff person, all his nurses and fellow doctors on his staff, immediately say "Kathleen! It's great to see you! How are you?"
      They remember each patient and make you feel welcome and like you're part of the family.
      None of the other doctors I have seen in all the years of searching for one, ever made me feel as welcome as these people do.
      It's truly awesome being around them. Always positive and upbeat and happy to see their patients.

They always shake your hand, look you in the eye and take the time to make sure you understand everything before you leave.
      I would recommend him and his staff to anyone who was looking for a surgeon.
      Anterior/posterior spinal fusion on February 9th & 16th 2006 with Dr. Anthony Moreno who now has his own practice.
      No pain anymore!!
      Google is your friend

I am not a doctor and will never give medical advice. I will support and answer questions from personal experience only.

Comment

Kat that's great news. I'm glad to hear you are healing and coming right along.

Brandi
        Brandi
        Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
        Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
        L1-S1
        Dr. William Lauerman
        Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
        Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
        http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

Hey Kat,
          Great news!!! Listen to your Doc. & slow down & listen to Tool........Ly

Comment

What a nice report and really good news. It sounds like you are healing and adjusting very well for 3 months out. Sounds like you have a wonderful doctor!

Comment

Originally posted by lelc2002@yahoo
              Hey Kat,
              Great news!!! Listen to your Doc. & slow down & listen to Tool........Ly
              Hahah! You have no idea how comforting TOOl is to me when I simply have to lay in bed because I'm too sore to do much else.
              I know not a lot people know who they are or like that type of music but I want to share with you the most amazing lyrics from the new cd.
              The singers mother suffered a stroke when he was 11 years old. She was in a wheelchair for 27 years or 10,000 days, the title of the new cd. Her unwavering faith and belief in god was an inspiration to him as well as his reason for not believing in god. He's always sung songs about his mother, her beliefs, his lack of because he couldn't understand how a god could "take away" a mother from her child like that. She was unable to speak and care for herself most of the 27 year she suffered. She died a few years ago and he wrote this, it is simply awesome and to read the lyrics is powerful but to hear the song sends shivers through you.
              Listen to the tales and romanticize
              How we follow the path of the hero
              Boast about the day when the rivers overrun
              How we rise to the height of our halo

Listen to the tales as we all rationalize
              Our way into the arms of the savior
              Fading all the trials and the tribulations
              None of us have actually been there
              Not like you

Ignorant fibbers in the congregation
              Gather around spewing sympathy, spare me
              None of them can even hold a candle up to you
              Blinded by choices hypocrites won't see

But, enough about the collective Judas
              Who could deny you were the one who illuminated
              Your little piece of the divine
              This little light of mine
              The gifts you passed onto me
              I'll let it shine to guide you safely on your way
              Your way home

What are they gonna do when the lights go down
              Without you to guide them home to Zion
              What are they going to do when the rivers overrun
              Other than tremble incessantly
              High as a wave I'll rise on up off the ground
              You were the light and the way they'll only read about
              I only pray heaven knows when to lift you out
              Ten thousand days in the fire is long enough
              You're going home

You're the only one who can hold your head up high
              Shake your fists at the gates sayin'
              I have come home now
              Fetch me the Spirit, the Son, and the Father
              Tell them their pillar of faith has ascended
              It's time now! My time now!
              Give me my, give me my wings!

Give me my (x5)
              Give me my wings!
              You are a light, a way
              That they will only read about

Set as I am in my ways and my arrogance
              Burden of proof tossed upon the believers
              You were my witness, my eyes, my evidence
              Judith Marie, unconditional one!

Daylight dims leaving cold fluorescence
              Difficult to see you in this light
              Please forgive this bold suggestion
              Should you see your maker's face tonight
              Look him in the eye
              Look him in the eye, and tell him
              I never lived a lie
              Never took a life
              But surely saved one
              Hallelujah, its time for you to bring me home
              No pain anymore!!
              Google is your friend

Comment

Tool and stuff...

Hey Kat Powerful lyrics, I love Tool and listen to all kinds of music but I'm mostly a metalhead, hehe I have to listen to Tool's new CD, still haven't taken the time to...I also read your blog, it's funny and I like your way of huh, talking LOL.

I wanted to tell you to walk at night since it's hot down there in Florida, but you started doing it, good for you! It's cool that your doctor and his staff are so nice and glad to hear that all is healing well.

I'm now 5 months post revision and I can only walk as well. I was supposed to see my ortho on May 3rd like you but there was a shuffle(appointment got cancelled, he's so busy with other hospitals like Shriner's) and I will see him in a few weeks, so I will ask if I can start swimming or at least walk in a pool, with Summer coming. Maybe you can do that? Just a thought...

Take it easy girl...
                35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
                Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
                Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
                Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
                Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

I actually walked a ton today. I walked 5 miles this morning while doing a few errands and then later today, it was free comic book day so we went downtown and walked around an art show they were having.
                  I feel really good now.
                  That's the most I've been able to do since coming home but it feels great.
                  No pain anymore!!
                  Google is your friend

Comment

Hey Katblack, Good for you on all that walking! WOW! I was out yesterday about 7 hrs.(most of it sitting) but, up and down a couple of hills a few times(My daughter was in a parade) I was stiff and sore this morn. My surgery was 2/22. Are you still on meds? I am trying to do more as I lessen my intake and wondered how you are doing in that area. Also, have you started any physical therapy yet? I know we are all different but I still like to get a rough comparison.....Thanks, Suzy

Comment

Originally posted by Suzy
                      Hey Katblack, Good for you on all that walking! WOW! I was out yesterday about 7 hrs.(most of it sitting) but, up and down a couple of hills a few times(My daughter was in a parade) I was stiff and sore this morn. My surgery was 2/22. Are you still on meds? I am trying to do more as I lessen my intake and wondered how you are doing in that area. Also, have you started any physical therapy yet? I know we are all different but I still like to get a rough comparison.....Thanks, Suzy
                      My surgeries were 2/9 and 2/16 and yeah, I'm still on meds. He thinks I'll probably be on them until November or possibly longer. We are having a hip joint issue. *shrug*

I lessen my own intake of meds here and there and I even tried to go a whole day without any at all. Very bad idea. It felt by late that night, as though I had just come out of surgery. I was in horrific pain so, I take the meds.

I was given PT about 6 weeks ago but my insurance would not cover it because it was all very basic simple maneuvers. Nothing related to the core or strengthening at all. Just small leg lifts, but tightening and arm movements. They will only pay for hardcore PT apparently...lol

I am getting a bone growth stimulator though, probably this week. He wants to speed up the bone growth because of how much and how fast I move. If I feel good, I go with it and walk fast, get up and sit down fast etc. I move as much as possible.
                      I'll let you know how that goes. It shouldn't be too bad I suppose.

Later days.
                      No pain anymore!!
                      Google is your friend

Comment

Meds

I dod notice that taking meds helps being more active after surgery, and that's why I wasn't as much in the first year post op(except for walking), since the docs didn't want to give me any due to addiction in their opinion, and my young age(I was 26 at the time). Looking back I wish I had some, but it's a tough choice between not taking meds and being in more pain and doing less while having incredible patience, or taking meds and doing more but in some cases having nausia and other stomach problems.
                        35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
                        Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
                        Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
                        Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
                        Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

The bone guy was here finally, at like 5pm. I waited since 3:30pm for him. Traffic was sucky again due to wildfires again today.
                          But this is what it looks like.

The controls to mine are on the front for it.
                          It has to be worn 4 hours a day. You don't feel anything at all when wearing it. That was the first thing I asked. Does it stim like a tens unit does? I don't want to be shocked 4 hours a day...lol
                          Nope, you don't feel anything at all.
                          You wear it around your waist and it has a piece for front and back to stimulate bone growth.
                          It can be worn with or without the brace, preferably with he said. But, after my brace comes off in June, then I can just wear it by itself.

So tonight I'm gonna give it it's first go round to get these bones a growin'.
                          Later days.
                          Last edited by katblack; 05-10-2006, 12:36 PM.
                          No pain anymore!!
                          Google is your friend

Comment

Kat--glad to hear that you are doing so well. Keep it up and don't do too much at one time. Remember to let your body tell you what you can and can't do (if the doctor hasn't already told you!) Linda

Comment

Thank you so much Linda. I am slowing down a bit. It's just hard to be so slow. You know that though...lol
                              No pain anymore!!
                              Google is your friend

Comment

Working...
                              X