toes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• toes...

Did anyone with the low lumbar curve have any problems with your feet??? Maybe silly ?? but my left foot has been getting numb off & on since about March or so when I wake up in the morning. It is always the left foot, toes. My Lumbar is on the left side...thks!

http://lynnebackattack.blogspot.com

Be sure to report this to your surgeon. It sounds like you may have some nerve involvement.

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

thanks Linda,
      When I was tested back in January on my legs & feet at Dr. Boachie's, I was very flexible & no problems standing on the balls of my heels & walking. I still have no problem with that at all. But a lot of mornings I wake up with my left toes feeling kind of weird, just different...not really like you slept on them(maybe not as bad as 'numb') but just different than the right foot. I've been thinking it's all in my head with this upcoming surgery-I think you almost get paranoid about any different feeling.. But I most definitely will mention it at testing day this June.
      thks again-------Lynne
      Last edited by lelc2002@yahoo; 05-03-2006, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Hi Lynne,

Yeah, my left big toe goes tingly and/or numb sometimes when I walk a long time in the wrong shoes (like at the mall). I'm so used to it I hardly even think about it. Something else to worry about !!
        Chris
        A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
        Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
        Post-op curve: 12 degrees
        Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Lynne -

You are sooo not alone. I have pain in my leg that goes into my foot and big toe. It is caused by nerve impingement. The nerve exiting out of L5-S1 is compressed and it causes pain on a daily basis. My lumbar curve is 58*. Ask Boachie about it.

Brandi
          Brandi
          Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
          Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
          L1-S1
          Dr. William Lauerman
          Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
          Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
          http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

I guess we all have that biggy Lower Lumbar curve! I'm 60 Lumbar...so I'm right there with ya..BBest. Is your curve on the left side? & is it your left foot?? singer, yours too?? thks
            http://lynnebackattack.blogspot.com

Comment

Curve is on the left side, pain is in the right foot. Go figure.
              Brandi
              Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
              Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
              L1-S1
              Dr. William Lauerman
              Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
              Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
              http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

My curve is to the right, numb toe on the left. Hey Brandi, we're mirror opposites!
                Chris
                A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Lynne,
                  I had the same issues with my foot and left leg.
                  It would turn purple and be numb from just walking or standing too long.
                  Mine was all nerve related.
                  Be sure to tell your surgeon about it so he knows what to look for on your MRIs and stuff.
                  The myelogram was the best test for figuring out the extent of nereve damage.
                  Have you had one of those yet?

36 year old single mom of teens ages 14 & 15.
                  Anterior/posterior spinal fusion on February 9th & 16th 2006 with Dr. Anthony Moreno who now has his own practice.
                  Fused from T-3 to S-1 (sacrum)
                  Curve pre-op = 70 degrees
                  Curve post op = 20 degrees
                  No pain anymore!!
                  Google is your friend

I am not a doctor and will never give medical advice. I will support and answer questions from personal experience only.

Comment

Kat...no tests yet... I go June 1st for whatever I need. I know they said I need a lower MRI done. I hate the MRI & I'm hoping it's an open one at HSS. I think I hate the MRI worse than surgery.. maybe they can give me something, I'm claustrophobic..........Ly

Comment

MRI's

I hate them too, I lasted 20 minutes-the test was supposed to be over an hour-b/c I didn't ask for anything to calm me down and ear plugs with all that clicking !! Looking back, the nurse should have told me about it, instead of being mad at me for wanting to get out Some hospital staff are nice and then sometimes you run into a bad one...
                      35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
                      Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
                      Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
                      Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
                      Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

MRI at HSS

Lynne, the last MRI I had at HSS was in 2002 and it was closed but they may very well have open ones now. Maybe you've done this before but if not I find this helps.....bring a washcloth or something that size and put it over your eyes so if you do open them, you do not see the top of the MRI so close to you (I felt like my eyelashes could touch it!). The first time I had one done, even though I was telling myself DO NOT OPEN YOUR EYES, I did and it's an awful feeling seeing the top so close to you. With the cloth over your eyes it isn't as bad if you do open them. As far as the noise, I would bring my earplugs and it would deaden the noise somewhat but it is noisy. Good luck to you........ LYNN
                        1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
                        2000 Partial Rod Removal
                        2001 Right Scapular Resection
                        12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
                        06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

The MRI i had last summer was an open one, which was not toooooooo bad.. There was a window in one wall of the room and i kept my head turned so i could look toward it. The banging noises i tried to imagine as being my mother in the kitchen when i was young, cooking supper with the iron skillets and stirring food and then banging the spoons on the sides...lol...

Whatever you do, DON'T think about itching somewhere......

Comment

The hospital called me a few days before my MRI and asked if I was claustrophobic. I told them I was. They told me to contact my doctor to get something prescribed. My doctor prescribed 1 tablet of Valium. I took it about 30 minutes before my procedure...I remember walking and feeling like I was "high stepping". I had no problems with claustrophobia during the procedure.

Kindest Regards,
                            Gail

Comment

Ladies,
                              I'll take the valium & the wash cloth please! I've never taken more than a Tylenoil PM for anythg. But for this, I will need a valium! My dad who has passed, god bless him, had a MRI years ago before his hip replacement & when he came out, he said to my mom..."I never want to hear another Johnny Mathis song again as long as I live"................Ly

Comment

Working...
                              X