No announcement yet.

Fusion bone material used....question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fusion bone material used....question.

Last Friday when I had my visit with Dr. Shelokov, I asked about the bone they would take from my hip for fusion. He told me that none would be taken from hip as they needed too much and didn't want to compromise that area since my surgery will also include correction for spondylolsis area which is very low down on my back.

He said they would use allograph or something like that which is donated bone from cadavers. From all I can find to read about it, it seems that a lot of times the fusion doesn't "take" as often when this is used.

Have any of you been fused with other than your own bone, and how did you do?

Hey Marcia,
    good question. I'd like to know too. I'll have to ask Dr. Boachie when at pre-op, what he uses?........... LY
    http://lynnebackattack.blogspot.com

Comment

Marcia,

There is a "material" called bone morphogenetic protein which has been used in some surgeries. I don't recall how long it has been used but has FDA approval for use in adult surgeries and is supposed to work well. There is 1 teen on the forum "kelsch" who recently used BMP in his surgery. Maybe this is something you can ask you dr. about.

Renee

Comment

Hi Marcia,
        From all I read it isn't as good as your own bone but it's really close. I don't remember the exact % of fusion falure but it didn't seem too high from what I remember. My Dr. harvested my own bone from my hip and put the crushed bone chips in the harvested area. He explained he prefered my bone for fusion and that the bone chips not only fill in the graft area (Also,no weak spot due to harvest.) they promote healing and less pain. I have had very little pain from my graft site! It's like blood in a way... Yours is best but donated is good. You might ask your Dr. If this is an option for you. Best wishes, Suzy 10 weeks post-op T10 to L4

Comment

I have had two surgeries. The first surgery they used autograft from my ribs and the second allograft from cadaver. As far as I know the bone from the cadaver is taking just fine. I would talk to your doctor, but if the bone from the cadaver didnt work well, I dont think they would use it often.

Comment

First surgery they used bone from my hip, and even if it is supposed to be best, I still had a non union. So this last surgery, they used bone from my fusion bed and BMP. Don't know if it's taking well, as my orthos tell me that only time or hardware breakage can tell.
            35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
            Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
            Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
            Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
            Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Doc Moreno used some bone from my hip and some fake bone stuff inside the bone cages he used to make new discs.
              Be sure to ask your surgeon what all he will be using.

Best wishes!
              36 year old single mom of teens ages 14 & 15.
              Anterior/posterior spinal fusion on February 9th & 16th 2006 with Dr. Anthony Moreno who now has his own practice.
              Fused from T-3 to S-1 (sacrum)
              Curve pre-op = 70 degrees
              Curve post op = 20 degrees
              No pain anymore!!
              Google is your friend

I am not a doctor and will never give medical advice. I will support and answer questions from personal experience only.

Comment

I was told by the surgeon that because the length of my fusion....as well as the length of my surgery (11 to 12 hours) they will only use the allograph. If they were to use it from my own hip, then it would take too much more time as well as compromise the hip area since the surgery is so extensive and will go down into the hip area for the disc fusion.

Comment

Marcia, They used bone from my hip and also the rib that was taken out. The incision site from the hip area didn't really bother me that much. My whole tailbone area is what bothered me the most. Give me a call and we can talk more.
                  Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
                  Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
                  Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
                  Fused T2 to sacrum
                  June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
                  MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

I hope Karen Ocker tunes in here because I'd like to know what Dr. Boachie uses???Karen???

Comment

Hi Marcia
                      My surgeon has said he only uses donated bone and BMP combined. The donated bone has been stored ( I think he said frozen? ) for 2 years and has been extensively tested and treated. It's usually taken from head of femur as it's thickest and then cut to fit in the cage. He then drills holes in it and fills it with the BMP. He showed hubby and myself part of a video of him doing a fusion and disc replacement as this is what I'm having. It was interesting!
                      Cathy.

Comment

my bone supply

In 1956 I had all donated bone. That fusion healed well but I lost correction because no hardware was used those days to support healing and correction.

In 2002, with my revision, donated bone--called allograft-- was used along with my own bone. The rib bone taken from my thoracoplasty was also used.(taken from the mother of all humps).

So far my fusion/correction is great and I have no pain anywhere.

I've read than one's own bone--called autograft--is the gold standard but with extensive fusions there's not enough.
                        Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
                        Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Thank you all for your answers. I feel better now about the allograph if that is what has to be done. Sounds like the fusion has been good from it in your experiences.

Comment

Working...
                          X