Bracing after surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bracing after surgery

I had my visit with the surgeon who will probably do my surgery last Friday. He said that I would wear a "shell" brace for 3 months after surgery.

Can anyone tell me what this will be like, what it looks like, how bad it is, etc.

Marcia,
    I was measured for my brace the day after my surgery and it arrived at the hospital a couple of days later. I would describe it as a turtle shell of sorts because it's made a hard plastic-type material (but not plastic). It had a back piece with velcro strips (the hard, scrubby part) hanging from it and a front piece with the other half of the velcro (the softer part) attached to it. It was the shape of my body and even had boobs (which were bigger than my own...thank you very much!) It was the length of my torso, a little longer in the back. I felt very protected in it, but it was a cumbersome and I didn't wear it as much as I was supposed to. Luckily I had surgery in the middle of Winter, so I just wore zippered sweatshirts and large sweaters over it when I went out. I got some lightweight tees to wear under it although it could be worn without them as it was lined with some sort of material. Some people shower in theirs, I didn't, but you can if you need to. I hope that helps!

Comment

Thanks for the description.....Ugh! Sounds like something I'll hate but endure!

Comment

This is my shell brace. It's actually called a TLSO brace. It's not too bad. Just make sure they measure you properly. The first one i had right after surgery was not measured right and it was horribly uncomfortable to wear. It would actually make me nauseous because it pressed directly on my stomach.
        This one is so much better.
        It's still not comfy, it gets very hot to wear it in the heat down here in Florida but it's tolerable.
        36 year old single mom of teens ages 14 & 15.
        Anterior/posterior spinal fusion on February 9th & 16th 2006 with Dr. Anthony Moreno who now has his own practice.
        Fused from T-3 to S-1 (sacrum)
        Curve pre-op = 70 degrees
        Curve post op = 20 degrees
        No pain anymore!!
        Google is your friend

I am not a doctor and will never give medical advice. I will support and answer questions from personal experience only.

Comment

Thanks for sharing the picture! Thanks for the information too. I have a feeling the 3 months I have to wear it will not be comfortable. The only good thing is that my surgery at this time is scheduled for October, so at least it won't be during the worst of Houston weather.

Comment

My turtle brace was not bad. After I got used to it, I spoke all the time about the turtle suit my grandsons would have when I was through with it. It definitely fits snugly enough to give you security of support! I am out of it now and miss it sometimes...especially in a vehicle with my sister driving...

Comment

Hi Marcia,

My best advice to you about the brace is to make sure it is fitted properly before you leave the hospital. I was in it for 4 1/2 months, and I briefly posted my experience of it in the thread called " I did it Yay".

Shari

Comment

Be glad you only have to wear your for 3 months! I wore mine for 6 months and always felt like people were looking at me when I had it on--mine was bulky and I wore it over my clothes with a T-shirt underneath (it was winter). If I wore it under my clothes the clothes I had to wear were very baggy and I looked huge. Also, mine had to be adjusted two times after I got out of the hospital I guess due to loss of weight. I never was really uncomfortable in it, it was just annoying to wear. Looking back, I am glad I had it and definitely think it helped me to not move or bend incorrectly.

Comment

Working...
                X