Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just Scheduled My Pre-Admission Testing...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Scheduled My Pre-Admission Testing...

This visit will be for an anesthesia consult and pre-op evaluation. Need some of you to chime in here and let me know what I can expect. I cannot believe how fast this is going. Just a few weeks back it seemed like my surgery date was way in the future and now it's only 3 weeks away
    Brandi
    Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
    Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
    L1-S1
    Dr. William Lauerman
    Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
    Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
    http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

My pre ops always took all day, so in case you wait a lot in between the Xrays and talks with nurses and doctors, bring something to drink and eat or take a break to go eat lunch at the cafeteria, have a good breakfast before as well.
    35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
    Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
    Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
    Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
    Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Mine went much smoother than I expected. They took some blood, answered all questions. I had to sign and fill out some scary paperwork, but it was all standard routine procedures. It took about two hours
      Jenn
      37 y/o female
      60 degree lumbar
      45 degree thoracic
      1st time anterior/posterior surgery May 8th and 10th 2006
      T 5 to S 1
      NYC

Comment

My preops were pretty easy. The hospital had me do paperwork and give them a full medical history, set up my autologous donations. I didn't have an anesthesia consult. And then was referred to my family doctor for the other tests... Blood and urine tests and an EKG. Nothing too bad.
        Blair

Dec 15th, 2003 @ age of 20
        Posterior Fusion and CD Horizon instrumentation T2-L1.
        Surgery by Dr. Herkowitz- Beaumont Hospital of Royal Oak, Michigan
        Excellent correction of 52 degree single left thoracolumbar curve. Slight curve remains in unfused lumbar region but seems stable.
        February 5, 2005- Failed Scar Revision Surgery
        September 17, 2005- 2nd Failed Scar Revision.

Comment

Thanks for replying, everyone. I guess I just needed to get a feel for what I should expect. I do hate surprises!

Brandi
          Brandi
          L1-S1
          Dr. William Lauerman
          Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback

Comment

Brandi,
            My pre-ops were an all day event. Make sure to take a drink and a snack with you but ask if you'll be able to eat it. They had to do blood and urine samples on my day and so I couldn't eat until after those two tests were out of the way.
            I met with all the different departments and people who would be involved from the anesthesiologists to the nurses on the different floors I would be in the care of.
            It was not a bad thing at all and actually eased a lot of my fears I had.
            36 year old single mom of teens ages 14 & 15.
            Anterior/posterior spinal fusion on February 9th & 16th 2006 with Dr. Anthony Moreno who now has his own practice.
            Fused from T-3 to S-1 (sacrum)
            Curve pre-op = 70 degrees
            Curve post op = 20 degrees
            No pain anymore!!
            Google is your friend

I am not a doctor and will never give medical advice. I will support and answer questions from personal experience only.

Comment

Kat -

Were you able to tour the ICU, Ortho unit, etc. I would really like to be able to do that and I am going to mention it to my surgeon. I need to know everything all at once. I'm an impatient little thing!
              Brandi
              L1-S1
              Dr. William Lauerman

Comment

I was able to but each surgeon and hospital does things differently so be sure to ask.
                36 year old single mom of teens ages 14 & 15.
                Anterior/posterior spinal fusion on February 9th & 16th 2006 with Dr. Anthony Moreno who now has his own practice.
                Fused from T-3 to S-1 (sacrum)
                Curve pre-op = 70 degrees
                Curve post op = 20 degrees
                No pain anymore!!
                Google is your friend

I am not a doctor and will never give medical advice. I will support and answer questions from personal experience only.

Comment

I see that it differs from hospital and surgeons. I would maybe call them before you go to see if you can have breakfast that morning, b/c if you can, have a good one. I did the blood test first but had breakfast before, maybe we don't all get the same tests done.
                  35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
                  Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
                  Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
                  Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
                  Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Working...
                  X