Almost 1 yr Post OP back is ok but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Almost 1 yr Post OP back is ok but...

My wife had a 3 part spinal fusion done to correct a progressing 60 degree double curve. She is now fused from pelvis to upper mid-back (t-7 i think). Dr. Shelokov in Plano TX performed the surgery and she has been happy with him and his office.

Her back seems pretty good. There is some pain at times but not the pain she was having before the surgery. The issue is her stomach. She has always been able to eat well. But now it is a struggle as she never feels hungry. To complicate things more her stomach stays 'upset'. Not nausea but definitely unsettled. She has had a full gastro battery of tests done and the Dr's could not identify anything that could be causing this. She is taking GERD medication. At times she has anxiety issues.

Her quality of life is low now. She spends most of each day in bed since she doesn't feel good. Usually she will take our daughter to and from school and may run short errands.

Any ideas, suggestions or leads to follow would be appreciated.
    Husband of Scoliosis Patient of Dr. Schelokov in Plano TX.

3 Part Surgery May, 24 2005. Fused from pelvis to T6

Stomach issues

It's common, after such a big surgery, especially when coming off narcotics to suffer depression. I did. I had no appetite,stomach upset, felt terribly anxious and tearful. Has she been coming off pain meds recently?
    Since I was being treated by a pain doc he recognized it as withdrawal. I was given short-term antidepressent--a few months. This also had to be tapered off.
    The worse thing would be to switch from one addictive drug to another--for example go from opiates to tranquilizers(xanax, ativan). That would result in an never ending cycle of depression--totally avoidable.

I am assuming there are no pre-op depression issues. One problem I find is that the family GP is not as aware of this as a pain doc. If this is the case I would consult with a pain doc about tapering off safely to give your wife her life back.
    A year is too long. At age 60 I was tapered off narcotics at 3 months post -op and was given safer, non addictive and effective alternatives that my family doc would never come up with. I am now totally pain free after 3 1/2 years.
    Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
    Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

She's been off all pain meds for several months. She was tapered off the fentanyl patches last year. After the patch she was taking darvocet as needed. Since February she hasn't taken any pain meds to speak of.
      Husband of Scoliosis Patient of Dr. Schelokov in Plano TX.

3 Part Surgery May, 24 2005. Fused from pelvis to T6

Comment

Fentanyl Patch

Barefooter64 - I was on the Duragesic/Fentanyl Patch for about four plus months. I have to say, that it threw me into a state of depression AND I lost my appetite for months, even after I was slowly taken off of it. I have been on many different pain meds but the patch gave me the worse symptoms out of any of them. Between the no appetite/weight loss, the depression and the anxiety/panic attacks from the patch, it took me months before I was back to myself. I thought I would never get better. That was a very bad time but I feel so much better now. I pray your wife will recover soon and have a good life - one that is so deserving. The best to all of you, LYNN
        1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
        2000 Partial Rod Removal
        2001 Right Scapular Resection
        12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
        06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

Working...
        X