Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patients fused to S 1

Hi
    If you're fused down to S 1, can you please tell me what type of restricitons you've experienced? I originally thought I was only being fused to L5. I know I'll lose flexibility, but how bad is it really? I trust my surgeon, but am considering requesting a more conservative surgery stopping at L5. Thank you!
    Jenn
    37 y/o female
    60 degree lumbar
    45 degree thoracic
    1st time anterior/posterior surgery May 8th and 10th 2006
    T 5 to S 1
    NYC

summer

summer,
    I know several will respond on your question.. I'm concerned too. I intuitively feel I'm going to a S 1 because my lumbar curve really starts curving very low...looks like it almost hits my hip on the way up.. I won't find out until June or so.. I too, trust my surgeon so what will be will be.
    All my best to you w/ your upcoming surgery & stay in touch....Ly
    Http://lynnebackattack.blogspot.com

Comment

Hi! Since this is the only surgical experience i've had, i've nothing to compare it to, but being fused T-4 to S-1, i can't really tell that my flexibility is that limited. At first i couldn't bend much, but i think it was the surgical pain and stiffness that caused that... now that i'm 6 months out, i can bend pretty well and pick up things on the floor. I use my knees a lot more than i used to, i find. I drive with no problems now... I babysit on weekends with my 8 month old granddaughter and only once in a great while do i twist with a bend that causes me to gasp and straighten back up in a hurry...

From what i've read and from what my surgeon told me, the discs below a fusion are particularly vulnerable to wear and tear and herniation that would eventually lead to more surgery. If your x-ray shows a curvature that begins that low (mine did), i think you should pretty much count on fusion to S-1. I'd rather be safe than have to have more surgery later.

Good luck to you both, Ly and Summer!!

JoAnn

Comment

I am being fused to my sacrum. I know you lose flexibility and range of motion with a fusion that low, but, if he stopped at L4-L5 I would probably be back in for another operation eventually. I don't ever want to have to do this again.

Brandi
        Brandi
        Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
        Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
        L1-S1
        Dr. William Lauerman
        Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
        Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
        http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

bbest.........

ditto...ditto.........me too

Comment

Hi,
            I'm fused T-3 - S-1 and I do have the standard doctor restrictions while my bones properly fuse but I am learning I do not have as much flexibility as I once had and am learning new ways of coping with things.
            I still can't get my own shoes and socks on so I made a pair of slides out of an old pair of sneakers by cutting the heels off so I can just slide my feet in. Socks, I still haven't figured out yet.
            The issue is, I cannot bend at my waist, only at my knees and it's all so new that I really can't get down too far yet. I'm sure once more time has passed, I'll figure it all out or I will have invented a way to get my socks on...lol
            Like with dressing myself. I use a pair of HUGE office sized paper clips and tied strings to them. I clip my undies/shorts/pants to them and lower them to the floor and slide my feet in, pull up till I can reach with my hands and then finish getting dressed.

I use my grabber a lot. An awful lot. Food on bottom shelf of fridge, ketchup in bottom part of fridge door etc etc.

It will get easier and when I learn new tricks or it gets easier, I will be sure to post but I'm telling ya, this is far better than the pain I had pre-surgery.

best of luck to you.
            36 year old single mom of teens ages 14 & 15.
            Anterior/posterior spinal fusion on February 9th & 16th 2006 with Dr. Anthony Moreno who now has his own practice.
            Fused from T-3 to S-1 (sacrum)
            Curve pre-op = 70 degrees
            Curve post op = 20 degrees
            No pain anymore!!
            Google is your friend

I am not a doctor and will never give medical advice. I will support and answer questions from personal experience only.

Comment

Summer,

I am fused T2 to the sacrum. I am two years post op. The main problem is not being able to twist and turn from the waist. I'm pretty short, and have trouble looking over my shoulder while driving to change lanes. I have to plan ahead with lane changes and I try to pull through parking spaces. You end up finding your own way of doing things. It's what is comfortable for you. Most of the time I squat, and use something like a counter or someone to pull myself back up. The only other major problem is when your walking down the hall and someone behind you says something to you. I can't keep walking and just turn my head to speak to them. I actually have to stop and turn my whole body to speak to them. Even when I bend down I notice that actually my knees are also bent somewhat. The first 6 months to almost a year are the hardest. After that you kind of just start doing things without thinking about it. Good Luck!
              Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
              Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
              Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
              Fused T2 to sacrum
              June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
              MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Summer,

I am too facing surgery this year to fuse to my sacrum. This is not my first surgery, actually my 5th. I am currently fused to L3. My doctor did say that he could go down to L5 but it is not a guarentee that it will resolve my pain and i may have to go in for another surgery. That is the last thing that i want to do. So i told my doctor just to fuse me all the way down. As for me right now I have had limited flexability. This is a very common thing for anyone who has had scoliosis surgery. My doctor says that after this surgery it wont be much different compaired to what i am experiencing now. For you, being your first surgery it will be a major change for you. I will say it will be something that you have to get used to. After my inital surgery which fused me to L3, I was a cheerleader and dancer in high school. I was also on the swim team. Since then my activities have decreased but that is only due to the pain i am experiencing. When you are fused it is a major change but your body adjusts and you learn to do things a little different. You may have to learn to bend from your knees instead of your waist. This is something that your body will do on its own.

I have many of the same questions as you do. I have asked my surgeon many of these questions but i would like to get feedback from other people who have actually gone through this surgery. I am very nervous about this surgery because i keep hearing that it will limit my mobility. Also i have a fear that it will be difficult for me when I decide to have children.

Good luck to you with your surgery. Let me know how it went. I will be having surgery in August or Sept of this year. If you have any questions please dont hesitate to ask.

Sarah
                Sarah 25 yrs old- Married with three english bulldogs

1995-Surgery for scoliosis fused T3-L3.
                2000-Surgery for Rod breaking, relaced rod and took out upper rods.
                March 2005-Surgery for removal of all rods.
                August 2005-Fusion of T10-T11 due to crack in fusion, Rods put back in.
                August 2006- Surgery for fusion from L4 to sacrum.

Comment

I wanted to add something.
                  One of my biggest concerns right now is my core. Being fused to sacrum means no sit ups, no crunches, no side bends etc. I am gaining some weight in my mid-section and this bothers me.
                  I am going to ask on the 3rd what exercises I can do besides walking and scissor kicks and the tush-tuck he gave me as it's not attacking the pudge at all.

I also put a want-ad on my local freecycle for a treadmill or an aerobic stepper. I need more exercises to do...lol

Does anyone who is fused to sacrum know what exercises I can do that will tighten/tone and get in shape, the mid-section, the belly flab.
                  I didn't go through all of this to just get fat here...lol

Oh, the teens and I walked a few blocks tonight to have dinner with some neighbors of mine who have been helping me out during all of this with trips to the store and post office and drug store etc. They have been so sweet and helpful and funny, before surgery, we barely knew each other. My youngest son and their daughter played together but us adults said the hi and bye and stuff like that. This has actually helped me make some new friends which is great because I have been so trapped in my house for so long and didn't hardly know any of my neighbors.
                  I think I'm going to bake a cake or something to say thanks for the dinner and stuff.

36 year old single mom of teens ages 14 & 15.
                  Anterior/posterior spinal fusion on February 9th & 16th 2006 with Dr. Anthony Moreno who now has his own practice.
                  Fused from T-3 to S-1 (sacrum)
                  Curve pre-op = 70 degrees
                  Curve post op = 20 degrees
                  No pain anymore!!
                  Google is your friend

I am not a doctor and will never give medical advice. I will support and answer questions from personal experience only.

Comment

thanks

Thank you so much everyone!
                    Jenn
                    37 y/o female
                    60 degree lumbar
                    45 degree thoracic
                    1st time anterior/posterior surgery May 8th and 10th 2006
                    T 5 to S 1
                    NYC

Comment

Fusion to sacrum/driving/abdomen

I've gotten so used to it I do not think about it any more. Still NO pain.

I found Pilates a great way to tone the middle--but I use a certified Pilates instructor--not just anyone from a gym. This person has worked with me even before my revision 3 1/2 years ago. Certain exercises are not suitable naturally--like rolling as a ball-- but Pilates uses a lot of isometrics.

I found an extra-wide rear-view mirror attachment very helpful for blind spots. It's found in auto supply stores and just slides over the rear view mirrow widening the view greatly. Don't have to twist/rotate at all. Also the little magnifiers in the side-view mirrors(like the truck drivers have) are helpful. It depends on the vehicle of course.
                      Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
                      Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Side Note

Karen, I learned the hard way after surgery that rolling like a ball was out of the question. I took a strength and stretching class in college and thought maybe I could roll back up but just flopped on the ground instead...about 3 times before I gave up. I now know it ISNT gonna happen. lol.

Comment

Disc replacement

Hello,
                          On April 5th, 2006. I had disc replacement surgery. The disc between L5 & S1. The surgery lasted 7 hours. I was in the hospital for 5 days. I was up out of my bed walking two days after the surgery. I was moving very slow, but I was moving without a walker or cane. 16 days after the surgery I was driving and getting around great. I was still slow, but I also felt no pain. There is alot of mixed reviews about the disc replacement, but for me so far it has worked great. I started therapy last week, and now I am walking great. I get a little sore, but no pain in my back. The only pain I have is in my right leg from a nerve that was pinched, but that is even getting better. I haven't had the new disc for evan a month yet, but I cant believe that I feel no pain in my lower back anymore. I injured my back April 13, 2004. So I lived with constant pain for 2 years. My disc was completely degenerated. Originally they talked about fusion, and I said no way. I'm way to young for that. I talked to my surgeon about the replacement, and he said I was a great candidate. He did his tests, and said yes. Then he went for approval from my insurance. It took 7 months to get the approval, but we got it. If you have any further questions please feel free to write me back, Doc

Comment

Kat, One of the exercises I was given to help strengthen my core muscles was to sit on a large ball, get balanced, then march while you are sitting. As your left leg comes up so does your right arm and when your right leg comes up so does your left arm. Take it very slow at first. It is harded than it sounds. I used a small or medium yoga/pilates ball. You can get some of them according to your height. I was not given this exercise to do until I was about a year post-op. If you can get the treadmill, that is what I used all the time. Just remember to hold your stomach muscles in at all times while you are walking.
                            Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
                            Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
                            Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
                            Fused T2 to sacrum
                            June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
                            MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Sacrum fusion

My doctor said he would fuse me probably to the sacrum or to the pelvis . I never heard of anyone being fused to the pelvis. Has anyone here been fused to their pelvis or know of someone who has?

Sue

Comment

Working...
                              X