X-Rays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X-Rays

in all articles i have read there is of course the over exposure to X-Rays because of the re-occuring appointments to make sure that the scoliosis isnt getting worse

are there any side effects/ later medical problems because of the too much x-ray radiation?]

ive had about 8 x-rays so far...so is this going to be bad in the long run?

There is a known increase in breast and ovarian cancer in women. The good news, however, is that it would take a LOT more than 8 xrays. There are new techniques that reduce the radiation exposure significantly. If your doctor is using those techniques, you should be safe even if you need hundreds of xrays. I'd encourage you to discuss this with your doctor on your next visit.

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Linda,
      What are the new techniques?
      Is there any way to get your own breast and pelvic shields to take with you? My daughter was x-rayed for 3 years at Children's Hospital in Birmingham, Al. They never used any shields. This was before I even knew that shields were available or knew of the risk.
      How many other places fail to use shields?
      Thanks for the information.
      Cheryl
      God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

Hi Cheryl...

Taking xrays P/A instead of A/P (that's with the patient's back to the equipment) is one very easy fix.

I don't have a clue how one would go about finding xray shields. Or, if you did find them, whether you could purchase just one set... Perhaps you could find a source for the shields and then take that information to your surgeon or to wherever your daughter's xrays are taken, and insist that they purchase them.

Regards,
        Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Any other risks?

Are there any other risks to be aware of with the X-ray exposure. With 4 years of the Brace and check-ups every 3 months (at a minimum) with multiple X-rays taken I've always wondered. (Interesting that I've had pre-cancerous cells -ovarian).

Always Smilin'
          Colleen

1982 fused T2-L1
          pre op 45 - post op 33 (left thoracic)
          pre op 53 - post op 18 (right thoracic)

recheck 2006
          right thoracic 57
          lower lumbar 34

surgical revision April 28,2009
          revision T3-L1; new fusion L1-L4
          unsure of degrees at this point

Comment

Originally posted by always smilin'
            Are there any other risks to be aware of with the X-ray exposure. With 4 years of the Brace and check-ups every 3 months (at a minimum) with multiple X-rays taken I've always wondered. (Interesting that I've had pre-cancerous cells -ovarian).
            Other than what?

Comment

Sorry...unclear

other than increased risk of breast/ovarian cancer in women?

Always Smilin'
              Colleen

1982 fused T2-L1
              pre op 45 - post op 33 (left thoracic)
              pre op 53 - post op 18 (right thoracic)

recheck 2006
              right thoracic 57
              lower lumbar 34

surgical revision April 28,2009
              revision T3-L1; new fusion L1-L4
              unsure of degrees at this point

Comment

Not that I've ever heard.

--Linda

Comment

I worry that my daughter might be at greater risk of developing cancer later in life due to all the x-rays... hodgkins lymphoma, breast cancer, ovarian cancer...the list goes on. The technology is out there to monitor scoliosis without the use of x-rays, why are doctors dragging their feet ??? At Sick Kids, they INSISTED on A/P x-rays and my daughter probably had about 45 A/P x-rays while there. At Ste Justine in Montreal, they use digital x-rays and P/A x-rays are the norm - I don't even have to ask for it. At Ste Justine, children x-rayed for scolioisis also wear a special lead vest that covers the entire torso, but has cutouts to allow for views of the spine.

Canadian eh
                  Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

The only place that we have been that uses the P/A is Ste. Justine's. Everywhere else they used A/P. I didn't know to ask and didn't see them take the ones at Ste. Justine's, but I knew, after Ste. Justine's used breast and pelvic shields, to ask for them.
                    I just don't want anymore x-rays taken the wrong way. You would think that you wouldn't even have to ask. Go figure.
                    God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

Originally posted by karickter
                      I just want to say thanks for these postings about the xrays because when I went to Erie I was prepared because my NSF friends made me aware. The first xray they did not cover Pooks properly - then the next one I insisted. But strangely they put covers on the machine not on her - now I had forgotten about the breast part and I didnt remember to ask what type of xray it was a/p etc???? but when I return in June I will take notes with me so I dont forget anything else.

HUGS
                      You can tell whether the xrays are A/P or P/A by how your daughter was positioned. If she had her back to the wall/film, that's A/P. If she was facing the wall/film, that's P/A.

--Linda

Comment

Linda,
                        Thanks for this information. It is very important, and obviously, until you told me about P/A x-rays, I was in the dark.
                        Hugs,
                        Cheryl

Comment

Working...
                        X