Experienced my first autologous blood donation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Experienced my first autologous blood donation

On Friday, I donated a unit of blood for my surgery. I told the technician that I was squeamish about it and he was completely insensitive. He kept saying things like "squeze your fist, I need to find a nice juicy vein" and "keep pumping your hand, we need to get the blood to gush out". I wanted to jump up and clock him one, let me tell you. During the 10 minute donation, I felt really lightheaded . They reclined me back in the chair and elevated my feet and put cold compresses on my head and neck. Afterwards, I was exhausted. I went home and slept for three hours. On Saturday I took another three hour long nap. All weekend long I was so tired, I felt like I hadn't slept in days. Has anyone else experience extreme fatigue after donating blood? I am assuming the donation was the cause of my fatigue. I have to do this all over again this Friday and am dreading it.

Brandi
    Brandi
    Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
    Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
    L1-S1
    Dr. William Lauerman
    Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
    Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
    http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

I had the EXACT same experience, as far as being weak and tired. It's not easy I know Looking back for this last surgery I should have gone just once since they didn't even need my blood(although I was very anemic afterwards and wished they did use at least one unit), but if you have to go twice it's best you do and know you did what you had to do.

Hang in there, rest and most of all take your iron pills and eat a lot of iron, there are cereals like the ones for babies that are filled with iron and don't taste bad.
    Last edited by sweetness514; 04-25-2006, 01:56 PM.
    35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
    Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
    Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
    Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
    Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Brandi,
      I'm squeamish around needles too and dreaded my blood donation. Luckily, I had a wonderful nurse who was very compassionate and my hubby stood by my side so that I could squeeze his hand as I laid on the table for the 10 or so minutes it took for the donation. I was ok until the end when the nurse started taking everything apart. Just the thoughts of "why is it taking so long?" "When is this needle going to be out of my arm?" sent me into a panic and I got really warm and started to pass out. I went home very exhausted and felt really tired for the rest of the weekend...I think that the mental stuff can make us as tired if not more tired, than the physical.

While in the hospital, the area around my IV started to burn everytime I hit the "happy juice" button...I let it go on for about half a day before saying anything to anyone because I dreaded the thought of them having to take it out and put another one in...which they did of course! I love to watch the medical channel and can watch all sorts of things, but I still can't watch anyone get a needle put in them....YUCK!

Comment

This is my first post here! I am really enjoying reading everyone's experiences since I've never met anyone that has gone thru scoliosis surgery. I'm really relating to everyone's stories. I also had to give blood for my surgeries. I had two surgeries within a week, so I had to donate 12 pints total. At first, they were scheduled every two weeks, but after my vein rolled on the fourth time, they decided it would be better to go a month between donations. And all this when I was 12 years old! I got some really weird looks from all the other people there to just donate for the blood bank. I, too, am not a fan of the needle. I just wanted to punch the nurse who had to "dig around" to get the vein going.
        What helped me at the time was taking those iron pills and eating dried apricots. They are really high in iron and helped with the side effects of the iron pills.
        I hope everything works out great for you! Just think of all the benefits of receiving your own blood for your surgery!
        Last edited by Cali Carrie; 05-01-2006, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Did you say 12 pints? I am complaining about a meager 2 pints of blood!
          Brandi
          L1-S1
          Dr. William Lauerman
          Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback

Comment

are you ok to drive after the blood donation(go by yourself)??? I just assumed so???? thks, Lynne

Comment

I don't drive anyway(bad eyesight, yet another birth defect I choose to blame on the scoliosis ). But I could not imagine driving home after that. I'm telling you, I was plum exhausted.
              Brandi
              L1-S1
              Dr. William Lauerman

Comment

I had my first visit on Friday with the surgeon who will probably do my surgery. After reading all the posts here I naturally assumed I would be donating my own blood. He said "no", as extensive as your surgery is we don't want to do anything that will weaken you. He said it would probably take 6 or 7 units of blood for my extensive surgery.

In answer to questions about how you felt after donating blood, I have donated blood when they come to my church several times. I have never had any problems at all. I just took the juice they gave me, rested for about 5 minutes and then was on my way. I guess everyone is effected differently and should be prepared to not feel very good.

Comment

Yup-12 pints. Six for each surgery. Not fun, but had to be done. I was a gallon donor by the time I was 13 and even got a license plate frame (just what every preteen needs) and a coupon for a pint of Baskin Robins Ice Cream during their "Pint for a Pint" blood drive. I did get pretty weak and thirsty for a few hours, but I loved the free snack bar at the Blood Bank when I was done!

Comment

Here i am weird again :S... I didn't donate my own blood, and as far as i know never received any either. After reading this thread, i asked my husband if he remembered them saying anything about giving me blood during my surgeries, and he said no.... I had 3 surgeries in one week... the third one lasted about 7 hours, the others about 4-5 hrs... I can't remember a lot of things during those 11 days i was in the hospital... but i know i didn't receive any blood.... weird, huh?

Comment

I didn't hear anything either about having blood donated to me????Had surgery when I was 12. I will have to inquire...interesting that I don't even know what happened to my own body...weird!

Always Smilin'
                      Colleen

1982 fused T2-L1
                      pre op 45 - post op 33 (left thoracic)
                      pre op 53 - post op 18 (right thoracic)

recheck 2006
                      right thoracic 57
                      lower lumbar 34

surgical revision April 28,2009
                      revision T3-L1; new fusion L1-L4
                      unsure of degrees at this point

Comment

They don't always use the blood if we don't lose too much, but it's always best to take iron pills before and after surgery, I know from experience and always ending up anemic, not good for recuperation.

It's good that you will not be giving it too soon before surgery Brandi, three weeks is time enough to recuperate.
                        35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
                        Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
                        Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
                        Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
                        Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Marcia, That's exactly what my doctor told me also. My son and daughter each donated a pint for me. I ended up having 7 units given to me.
                          Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
                          Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
                          Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
                          Fused T2 to sacrum
                          June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
                          MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

You totally should have clocked him! Not nice behaviour at all! I would have been SO out cold having somebody say that stuff to me. It's bad enough without the "help".
                            I was thankful that I had nice nurse type people to take my blood. They did think I was a bit crazy though because when I get really nervous, I go one of two ways- laughter or crying. This time it was laughing. I laughed the whole way through Tom Cruise's interview on The View for that samurai movie he did....
                            I did end up a bit tired after each donation and slightly weak- went home and slept four or five hours. But nothing too bad. My arm was really sore the next day though.

I was happy that they only made me donate 2 units of blood. I ended up using both and almost had to get transfused with somebody else's. But they left it alone since I was just borderline.
                            Blair

Dec 15th, 2003 @ age of 20
                            Posterior Fusion and CD Horizon instrumentation T2-L1.
                            Surgery by Dr. Herkowitz- Beaumont Hospital of Royal Oak, Michigan
                            Excellent correction of 52 degree single left thoracolumbar curve. Slight curve remains in unfused lumbar region but seems stable.
                            February 5, 2005- Failed Scar Revision Surgery
                            September 17, 2005- 2nd Failed Scar Revision.

Comment

Working...
                            X