Weight lifting anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weight lifting anyone?

Hey guys I would be lying to you if I said I didn't love to lift weights. Lately I've been over the top and really enjoying it. (I think the before picture the doctor took of me in my undergarments was the motivator) I really want to see a big difference in the before and after pictures. I'm wondering though if anyone else has had this surgery and gotten back into lifting weights. I've been working a lot on upperbody and core training. Any recommendations and will I really be out of the gym for a year?

I started lifting weights years after my surgery without problems. BUT, I started with 2 lb. free weights and gradually increased the weight over many months and years. I work with the free weights and various bars as well as the machines and other apparatus at my local gym. I will never bench press. I strongly suggest that you show your post-surgical x-rays to a highly qualified trainer and work with him/her.
    Shelley
    Harrington Rods 12/66
    Fused T-3 to L-3

Comment

Of course, I'll preface this by saying check with your Dr. first before trying anything...

But at 3.5 months post-op I started with some light weights at my Physical Therapy office. So long as I am lying flat on my back, I can do all sorts of exercises (working arms, chest, shoulders). By staying on my back, I can't use my back muscles improperly or twist or bend at all. Also, as I do pilates-like moves, I am able to add ankle weights for more resistance. As for doing anything requiring a bar that rests on your shoulders (like squats at a smith machine), I hear that is really out because it puts so much stress on the spine.
      Meg is Spinewhine
      31 years old with thoracic curve
      Wore Boston brace as teenager, but curve continued to progress.
      Surgery on 12/13/2005 with correction from over 55 degrees to under 25 degrees. (Ya baby!)

The nitty gritty at:
      http://spinewhine.blogspot.com/

Comment

I did some weight lifting for years before I had my last surgery a few months ago, and I love it. I have a small frame and am not very strong but even the light ones helped me get some muscles in my arms and I remember when at about one year post op(or more, not sure) I felt my fusion was feeling "heavy" for my frame, one ortho I consulted told me about weights, and it helped a lot and I felt more "light".

Right now I had some fusion added b/c of a non union a few months ago, and so my doc is being extra safe and told me to wait a year. I can't wait to start again, I don't like the look of my arms anymore, LOL. You should ask your ortho to see how long after the surgery you can start again.
        Last edited by sweetness514; 04-22-2006, 05:33 PM.
        35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
        Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
        Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
        Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
        Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

I am currently using 2 lb free weights for my arms and shoulders and my legs get a pretty good workout walking but I need some core exercises. I am fused to sacrum so sit-ups etc can't be done. (yet)
          I have an appt. with my surgeon on May3rd and I'm going to ask about tummy toners I can do but any suggestions?
          I'm slowly watching my belly get pudgy and I want to stop that from happening.

Thanks!
          36 year old single mom of teens ages 14 & 15.
          Anterior/posterior spinal fusion on February 9th & 16th 2006 with Dr. Anthony Moreno who now has his own practice.
          Fused from T-3 to S-1 (sacrum)
          Curve pre-op = 70 degrees
          Curve post op = 20 degrees
          No pain anymore!!
          Google is your friend

I am not a doctor and will never give medical advice. I will support and answer questions from personal experience only.

Comment

weight lifter also

Hi All, I too can't wait to get back to the gym, I've gone for the last 13 years. I hate cardio,give me weights! My Dr. said I will be back at it after physical therapy, for sure all activities after a year. I had noticed when I took a break from working out that when I finally got back to it I got back to where I had been (fitness wise) really quick. Muscle has good memory. I have lost 10 lbs since surgery and can't seem to gain any back. I feel it has to be muscle loss as I don't look too much thinner then I was. I worry about not being able to do sit ups, so I suck in my stomach muscles for as many reps as I can, to hope I keep some tone. I also have tried this old technique (we girls used in jr. high for bust enhancement) Place both palms together in front of chest and press,press,press! I feel it in my arms and chest when I do enough of them. LOL. Like my excersise routine? At 8 weeks post-op I know weights are not going to be in my hands for a while. (still on 4lb max weight lifting limit) I tell you though my legs never looked better with all the bending at the knees to pick up stuff. (Knees not so happy some days.) I don't know if it is helping yet, but it's gotta be better then nothing. Suzy

Comment

i work out my upper body in the swimming pool with the dumbell float thingies... when u pull them underwater they act like weights .. and the bigger the float thingie, the more resistance of course... i was really surprised to see the development of muscles in my arms and back from doing that... it seems so easy!! and in addition, there's not the added weight pressure on my spine since i'm floating vertically in water while i do it. The lower body i work by walking laps or swimming

Comment

Working...
              X