Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The older I get the less I am able to do

Hello
    I thought I would share a short story with all.
    I had fusion surgery {Herrington Ron} in 1974.
    The pain has always been there from day one and it is only getting worse the older I get. The procedure is no longer done. I was 12 year old.
    But before that I was in a Milwaukee Brace since I was 8 and all that did was spring me up and down for 4 years. From a 56 degree curve to 78 degrees. And surgery brought the curve to 32 degrees. They stretched me before and during the surgery. I wore a 75 lb body cast for 9 months then a 56 lb body cast for another 9 months and then my last cast was 22 lbs. And the only one where my neck was finally able to turn. So through the first 18 months of wearing the cast, I got out of bed using a ski rope tied to the TIE BEAM of the house and talk about the muscle structure I had for about the next 20 years.

The pain is horrendous and constant. The pain is unbearable 70% of the time. The other 30% is when I am having a good day.
    The exercising doesn't help anymore. And I still have some of that muscle

Thankyou for taking the time to read this.

Hello Plain Jane,

I'm so sorry to hear about all your pain. The good news is ,there are plenty of Scoliosis surgeons who do spinal fusions on Adult patients. I had my surgery at age 42.

Where are you located?

Kindest Regards,
    Gail

Comment

Hi Jane....

It's entirely possible that surgery can help you. I'd like to encourage you to check out this group:

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group...vised/messages

You'll find a lot of other people with similar experiences.

Regards,
      Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Jane,
        I'm so sorry to hear that you are in such pain again.
        Perhaps you could see if a surgeon could help with a revision or some other treatment.
        I have no advice to offer but only wish you the best.
        36 year old single mom of teens ages 14 & 15.
        Anterior/posterior spinal fusion on February 9th & 16th 2006 with Dr. Anthony Moreno who now has his own practice.
        Fused from T-3 to S-1 (sacrum)
        Curve pre-op = 70 degrees
        Curve post op = 20 degrees
        No pain anymore!!
        Google is your friend

I am not a doctor and will never give medical advice. I will support and answer questions from personal experience only.

Comment

Ortho Surgen and risks!

Surgen said NO-MRI can be done due to Stainless Steel Rod from 1974. He looks at my last set of X-rays and well he said they could FUSE the DETERIORATION above and below the rod but would not take away the pain AND OR could be paralized from the hips down, isn't that nice! I was able to get a CAT scan back in March of 2010. Revealed definate Degeneration of the spine, scar tissue galore, major nerve damage and all they can do is DOPE ME UP? Well that's not an option. I move as least as possible and slow when I do. If thier is a Surgen that really can correct all the problems of my Spine, Nerves, etc LET me know!

Originally posted by plainjane View Post
          Hello
          I thought I would share a short story with all.
          I had fusion surgery {Herrington Ron} in 1974.
          The pain has always been there from day one and it is only getting worse the older I get. The procedure is no longer done. I was 12 year old.
          But before that I was in a Milwaukee Brace since I was 8 and all that did was spring me up and down for 4 years. From a 56 degree curve to 78 degrees. And surgery brought the curve to 32 degrees. They stretched me before and during the surgery. I wore a 75 lb body cast for 9 months then a 56 lb body cast for another 9 months and then my last cast was 22 lbs. And the only one where my neck was finally able to turn. So through the first 18 months of wearing the cast, I got out of bed using a ski rope tied to the TIE BEAM of the house and talk about the muscle structure I had for about the next 20 years.

The pain is horrendous and constant. The pain is unbearable 70% of the time. The other 30% is when I am having a good day.
          The exercising doesn't help anymore. And I still have some of that muscle

Thankyou for taking the time to read this.

Comment

How awful to be in so much pain & to be given those options by your surgeon. There are some incredible stories on the forum about successful revisions; if it were me I'd do whatever it took to see if any of them could help you - Dr. Lenke, etc. Best of luck to you.
            Mom of 14yo son diagnosed Oct 2011
            Surgery 1/3/12 w Dr. Geof Cronen,
            Tampa General Hospital T3 to L1
            Jacob's pre surg curves: T58 & L31 12/28/11
            photos & xrays in "First-Time Surgery" thread "Before & After"

Comment

I am sorry that you are in so much pain
              Where do you live?
              Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Dr. Lenke, in St. Louis, performs many complicated surgeries with removal of Harrington rods. Do a search for his web site and you will see many patient stories and before and after pictures. Good luck! I hope you can find a surgeon who can help you.
                Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                Rib Hump-GONE!
                Age-60 at the time of surgery
                Now 66
                Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Working...
                X