PDA

View Full Version : The older I get the less I am able to do



plainjane
04-17-2006, 12:13 PM
Hello
I thought I would share a short story with all.
I had fusion surgery {Herrington Ron} in 1974. :rolleyes:
The pain has always been there from day one and it is only getting worse the older I get. :( The procedure is no longer done. :D I was 12 year old.
But before that I was in a Milwaukee Brace since I was 8 and all that did was spring me up and down for 4 years. From a 56 degree curve to 78 degrees. And surgery brought the curve to 32 degrees. They stretched me before and during the surgery. :eek: I wore a 75 lb body cast for 9 months then a 56 lb body cast for another 9 months and then my last cast was 22 lbs. And the only one where my neck was finally able to turn. So through the first 18 months of wearing the cast, I got out of bed using a ski rope tied to the TIE BEAM of the house and talk about the muscle structure I had for about the next 20 years.

The pain is horrendous and constant. The pain is unbearable 70% of the time. The other 30% is when I am having a good day. :)
The exercising doesn't help anymore. And I still have some of that muscle

Thankyou for taking the time to read this.

Gail
04-17-2006, 12:25 PM
Hello Plain Jane,

I'm so sorry to hear about all your pain. The good news is ,there are plenty of Scoliosis surgeons who do spinal fusions on Adult patients. I had my surgery at age 42.

Where are you located?

Kindest Regards,
Gail

LindaRacine
04-17-2006, 12:52 PM
Hi Jane....

It's entirely possible that surgery can help you. I'd like to encourage you to check out this group:

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Flatback_Revised/messages

You'll find a lot of other people with similar experiences.

Regards,
Linda

katblack
04-17-2006, 02:03 PM
Jane,
I'm so sorry to hear that you are in such pain again.
Perhaps you could see if a surgeon could help with a revision or some other treatment.
I have no advice to offer but only wish you the best. :)

plainjane
02-21-2012, 10:33 AM
Surgen said NO-MRI can be done due to Stainless Steel Rod from 1974. He looks at my last set of X-rays and well he said they could FUSE the DETERIORATION above and below the rod but would not take away the pain AND OR could be paralized from the hips down, isn't that nice! I was able to get a CAT scan back in March of 2010. Revealed definate Degeneration of the spine, scar tissue galore, major nerve damage and all they can do is DOPE ME UP? Well that's not an option. I move as least as possible and slow when I do. If thier is a Surgen that really can correct all the problems of my Spine, Nerves, etc LET me know!






Hello
I thought I would share a short story with all.
I had fusion surgery {Herrington Ron} in 1974. :rolleyes:
The pain has always been there from day one and it is only getting worse the older I get. :( The procedure is no longer done. :D I was 12 year old.
But before that I was in a Milwaukee Brace since I was 8 and all that did was spring me up and down for 4 years. From a 56 degree curve to 78 degrees. And surgery brought the curve to 32 degrees. They stretched me before and during the surgery. :eek: I wore a 75 lb body cast for 9 months then a 56 lb body cast for another 9 months and then my last cast was 22 lbs. And the only one where my neck was finally able to turn. So through the first 18 months of wearing the cast, I got out of bed using a ski rope tied to the TIE BEAM of the house and talk about the muscle structure I had for about the next 20 years.

The pain is horrendous and constant. The pain is unbearable 70% of the time. The other 30% is when I am having a good day. :)
The exercising doesn't help anymore. And I still have some of that muscle

Thankyou for taking the time to read this.

LSKOCH5
02-21-2012, 06:13 PM
How awful to be in so much pain & to be given those options by your surgeon. There are some incredible stories on the forum about successful revisions; if it were me I'd do whatever it took to see if any of them could help you - Dr. Lenke, etc. Best of luck to you.

mabeckoff
02-21-2012, 06:45 PM
I am sorry that you are in so much pain
Where do you live?

golfnut
02-21-2012, 08:05 PM
Dr. Lenke, in St. Louis, performs many complicated surgeries with removal of Harrington rods. Do a search for his web site and you will see many patient stories and before and after pictures. Good luck! I hope you can find a surgeon who can help you.