How long is your fusion good for????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long is your fusion good for????

Can anyone give me an idea how long an adult surgery/ fusion will last(hold spine)??? My sisters asked me today & I had no answer....! Good one for my Dr. at pre-op or sooner...(I'm 46 now)...thks--Ly

I was under the impression that it lasts for life. I mean you can't un-fuse your spine. it's permanent. Good luck with everything!
    ~Leelee ♪
    [-] 17 years old
    _[-] 12th grade
    [-] scoliosis, 45T and 42 L
    _[-] kyphosis, 67*
    [-] Boston brace for 4 years
    _[-] Stopped 6/8/05 at 4:32 PM

Comment

I'm hoping you are right....but for some reason, I thought I heard 20 yrs from somewhere...I'm sure everyone is different depending on how old they are & level of activity but I would hope it is the only time I'll ever have to do this.........Ly
      Last edited by lelc2002@yahoo; 04-17-2006, 08:11 AM.

Comment

Hi Lynne,

I too am under the impression that it's a lifetime fusion. I asked my Dr. that question, and he told me that only a major fall, or something like a car accident could cause me problems. I could be wrong.

Shari

Comment

Thks.. I guess another question is: Does today's methods(titanium rods etc. hold the curves much longer than the harrington rods method??? Or does it all depend on the age/activity level affecting it all?

Comment

Hi Lynne,

From what I understand, a successful or solid fusion holds for life but it's the unfused part of your spine -- particularly the part below your fusion -- that takes a beating and may send you in for more surgery. The hardware just supports the fusion til the fusion is solid and can be removed later on if there's a problem with breakage or an infection.

So many fun things to think about...
            Chris
            Chris
            A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
            Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
            Post-op curve: 12 degrees
            Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Hi Lynne...

Fusions are permanent, assuming that you actually fuse as planned. There can be, however, problems above and/or below the fusion that require additional surgery.

I have some links on my website to abstracts for scoliosis surgery outcome studies:

http://www.scoliosislinks.com/SurgeryResearch.htm

Regards,
              Linda
              Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
              Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by lelc2002@yahoo
                Can anyone give me an idea how long an adult surgery/ fusion will last(hold spine)??? My sisters asked me today & I had no answer....! Good one for my Dr. at pre-op or sooner...(I'm 46 now)...thks--Ly
                Well Lynn, I hope for our sakes at our ages, that they last us forever. I don't want to do this again...lol

Oh, thank you for your comment at my blog. I appreciate it. I'll try to be better by your surgery so I can make ya laugh about it all
                36 year old single mom of teens ages 14 & 15.
                Anterior/posterior spinal fusion on February 9th & 16th 2006 with Dr. Anthony Moreno who now has his own practice.
                Fused from T-3 to S-1 (sacrum)
                Curve pre-op = 70 degrees
                Curve post op = 20 degrees
                No pain anymore!!
                Google is your friend

I am not a doctor and will never give medical advice. I will support and answer questions from personal experience only.

Comment

Unless there is a non union, or the fusion doesn't heal properly it's life lasting. It's better to keep the hardware in though, or replace if there is a breakage. One thing I don't know for sure is if pseudarthrosis can develop later on, even when the fusion healed well and then gets weak, like with smokers for example.
                  35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
                  Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
                  Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
                  Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
                  Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

thks everyone. I guess I was confused with the part that is'nt fused being a problem later on?? I bet I have a big section fused what with my curves......Ly

Comment

Lynn, if your curves are as bad as you think, they will probably fuse you like they did me, to sacrum, and then you won't have that worry about issues below the fusion having issues.
                      I am just hoping I fuse properly and not need revision. I can't imagine having to revise all the way to sacrum again.
                      36 year old single mom of teens ages 14 & 15.
                      Anterior/posterior spinal fusion on February 9th & 16th 2006 with Dr. Anthony Moreno who now has his own practice.
                      Fused from T-3 to S-1 (sacrum)
                      Curve pre-op = 70 degrees
                      Curve post op = 20 degrees
                      No pain anymore!!
                      Google is your friend

I am not a doctor and will never give medical advice. I will support and answer questions from personal experience only.

Comment

I don't think i could go thru this again... but i guess u don't really know what you can do until you have to do it.

Comment

Hi Lynn...

The number of vertebrae in a fusion is determined by the length of the curve, not the severity.

Regards,
                          Linda
                          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
                          X