Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pregnancy & Scoliosis

Good Evening Everyone,

I am cupcake and I'm 34 years old. I don't have any children yet, but was wondering if anyone had problems during pregnancy. If so, did you have any lasting effects after delivery? Also, has anyone ever tried water birth?

Thank you,

Cupcake

Cupcake...

In addition to any response you receive here, please do a search (see link above) on the word PREGNANCY. There have been quite a few threads on the topic.

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I wore a Milwaukee brace when I was in my early teens. They wanted to operate after that time but I just didn't want to go through any more. My curve was around 40 degrees..double S curve.

I had two sons...one at the age of 28 and the other when I was 31. Both pregnancys were uneventful and carried to term. However because of my bone structure (possibly due to scoliosis) my first son never dropped and I did not dialate even though I was nearly 3 weeks past due. After inducing labor and nothing happening, I had a C-section.

My second son was a scheduled C-section. The most miserable thing I can remember is being poked over and over and over again when they were trying to give me an epidural. I started out with my hair fixed and a little make-up on thinking I would look good for this birth since it was planned ahead and I didn't have to go through labor. But after they made me bend over and poked me so many times I wound up dripping in sweat from head to toe because of the experience. Just when they were about to give up and and just give me general anesthesia, they finally found the right spot for my epidural.

I recovered easily and had no trouble lugging my big boys around before they could walk.

I am now facing surgery this year at the age of 57 because of progressing curves of 78/70 degrees. My sons are now 28 and 25 years old.....we all survived pregnancy and scoliosis very well!!! It is just now that I am having to really deal with it.
      Last edited by Marcia; 04-15-2006, 11:12 PM.

Comment

cupcake,
        Both my pregnancies were good ones except same as Marcia, they could'nt get the epidural in on the second pregnancy. It took a LONG time to get it but thk god they did.. I felt like (on both pregnancies) when I was only 2 cm dialated that they were coming right out. But I had a long way to go. I have a big lumbar curve so I'm sure it had some effect & made it more uncomfortable & tighter in there!

Comment

Good Evening,

Linda,
          Thank you for the suggestion. I will try searching using the keyword - pregnancy for additional information.

Marcia,
          Thank you for your reply. I work a Milwaukee brace from age 5-approximately 14. I am not having major problems other than the fact that I think my right shoulder blade is beginning to protrude. It is reassuring to hear that others have had pregnancies without complications. I realize everyone is different, but it helps. Thank you!!

Lelc2002,
          Thank you for your reply also. I hope if that day every comes (my husband & I have been trying for a year and a half to have a little one, but no luck) everything will work out. Thank you!!!

Cupcake

Comment

Great babies

I have 3 beautiful babies (10, 8, 1) - had all 3 vaginally - no meds...have heard water birth is great but did not use ...had back pain during delivery but doesn't everyone have some???? Did well during pregnancy as well.

Always Smilin'
            Colleen

1982 fused T2-L1
            pre op 45 - post op 33 (left thoracic)
            pre op 53 - post op 18 (right thoracic)

recheck 2006
            right thoracic 57
            lower lumbar 34

surgical revision April 28,2009
            revision T3-L1; new fusion L1-L4
            unsure of degrees at this point

Comment

Good Morning Always Smilin,

I am really encouraged by everyone's postings regarding there positive experiences with pregnancy. I realize everyone's experience is not the same, but it really helps to know that things can go well.

Thanks for the response.

Comment

I have no children yet but I have a double curve of 40/38. Anyway I had abdominal surgery in 2004 and I had an epidural so that when they reversed the general anesthesia I would feel no pain. Well, due to the scoliosis, the epidural did not work. The curve in my spine blocked the medicine form getting to the lower abdomen. I was NOT a happy camper.
                28 years old. Dx at age 14.

1994 20T/20L
                1998 22T/20L
                2002 30T/28L
                2006 34T/28L
                2008 43T/34L

considering surgery in the near future as the curvature is getting progressively worse and for pain management.

XRAYS and pics at 28 years old. http://www.freewebs.com/skiergirl24/apps/photos/

Comment

Working...
                X