Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cosmetic changes after scoliosis surgery.....?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cosmetic changes after scoliosis surgery.....?

I have always been very slender if you look at me from the side. However I feel very wide across when looking at me from the front or back. I am wondering if there will be any change after surgery so I am a little less wide when the curves are straightened up. I realize at my age and degree of curve 78/70 they won't be able to totally straightened me out. But I am curious how your body changed after surgery.

I'm more wide since I was pushed to the right side. I was very thin before the surgery and gained a few later on post op, as if my body is more straight and distributes the weight more evenly, if that makes sense. My breasts are more even, as are my hips and torso. Never had problems with shoulders before, so they're straight like they always were. Still have a hump, but I notice it when I'm naked, not so much with clothes.
    35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
    Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
    Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
    Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
    Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Hi Marcia,

That is a very complexed question. I always looked good from the right side and from the front. Looking good from the left side and back, depended on my choice of clothing.

I find myself looking in the mirror every time I'm naked, wondering if how I look now, is normal. I now have a waist on both sides, my rib hump is almost completely gone. My hips are even, my shoulder blade doesn't protrude. But I still look at myself and wonder. All I know is that I look better than I did before. I just giggle in places I never giggled before!!!

Shari

Comment

good question

Marcia,
        I totally understand what you mean. I kind of resemble a flat board. I have no curves and and am thin from the side but look wide. I did hear that surgery gives you a waist so maybe after surgery we won't look so wide. Love to hear from others.
        Tara
        Tara
        31 yrs old
        Thoracic=56 degrees
        Lumbar=60 degrees

Comment

Hi Marcia, I too was very thin from side but from front or back very curvey waist on left, straight on the right. I now am curvey on both sides! yea! Plus, my ribs from the front are symmetrical now. I was 49* lumbar now 8* I look at my new waist when I am having a bad day and realise I am lucky to have been able to be corrected. Best wishes, Suzy

Comment

We definitely have a lot in common! My waist on the right side has always been very indented (curvy) and pretty much straight on the left side. Can't wait to see if that changes after my surgery.

I have to say.....over the years that extra indention on the right side has been great for carrying in grocerys, and when my kids were little, that was the side I carried them on!! But with plastic bags and grown kids, I don't need that "shelf" anymore. LOL!

Comment

Working...
            X