Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Year Post-op

Hi everyone,

It's been a while since I posted, but I thought I would share some good news. My daughter had her one year follow up with Dr. Boachie. Her major curve is stable at 20 degrees, and her minor curve has relaxed a little more and is now about 17. This is a huge improvement over 70 and 40 degrees where she started. Her fusion is solid, and the doctor has released her to pretty much all normal activity except heavy lifting and serious contact sports. One more year and she'll be home free for pretty much everything except sky diving and bungee jumping!

She has no pain, she's able to breathe, she's playing softball on her middle school team, and life is so much better for her. I just hope she has lots more pain free years! A big thanks goes out to all of you for your continued support and friendship.
    Susanna
    ~~~~~~
    Mother of a 17 year old daughter. Her "S" curve was 40 degree thoracic from T3 to T9, and a 70 degree rotatory thorcolumbar from T9 to L4. She was operated on March 9th, 2005 by Dr. Boachie-Adjei at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. She was fused from T11 to L3, using an anterior approach, and the major curve corrected to 20 degrees. She's doing great!

Hi Susannajon,

Congratulations on the sucess of your daughter's surgery! I remember how wonderful the one year mark felt.

Kindest Regards,
    Gail

Comment

wonderful news!!

As a mother myself, I can only imagine the joy you must be feeling. Isn't it wonderful that we leave in a time period where they can do these corrections!!??

I am 48 years old and am having my first surgical consultation in May. I didn't even know about the corrective adult surgery until about six months ago. I am sure glad there is this forum to talk and to see how others are dealing with this disease process.

Kkong

Comment

Hi Susanna,

How nice to hear from you! How wonderful to hit that one year mark and hear everythings healed well and fusions solid I hope things continue to go well for your daughter (and you) - you were so nice and helpful to me when I first signed on almost a year ago. Best wishes, take care-

Renee

Comment

Hey Susanna,

Congrats on the one year mark. Doesn't it feel great to finally be there?

Mary Lou
          Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Congratulations on the 1 year mark. I was thinking of you when I was at Dr Boachies last month for are 1 year check up. We saw Richard( The nurse ) over on york walking. He was heading back to the hospital from lunch. He said hi to Nicole as we were walking to Dr. Boachie office. I couldn't believe that he remembered us. It was funny because she doesn't remember him at all so when he say hi she just looked at him. He wanted us to come up to say hello to everyone but Nicole wasn't into going so we didn't. Well great to hear all is well with your daughter.
            Last edited by nicoles mom; 04-15-2006, 04:51 PM.
            THERESA

Comment

Thanks everyone! Renee, Mary Lou, Theresa, it's been forever. How are your kids doing?
              Susanna
              ~~~~~~
              Mother of a 17 year old daughter. Her "S" curve was 40 degree thoracic from T3 to T9, and a 70 degree rotatory thorcolumbar from T9 to L4. She was operated on March 9th, 2005 by Dr. Boachie-Adjei at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. She was fused from T11 to L3, using an anterior approach, and the major curve corrected to 20 degrees. She's doing great!

Comment

Hi Susanna,

Thanks for asking about Jamie. Things now are great as far as her back goes. We had a tense couple of months though. At her six month post-op appointment, we discovered a little bit of Kyphosis abover her fusion. At her one year checkup, it had increased somewhat, but we just saw the doctor a couple of weeks ago, and there was no increase! We were so thankful! He doesn't want to see her back for six months. The Kyphosis isn't at a number where he'll do surgery, but he did tell us if the number increased too much or if she had pain, then we'd be headed back to surgery.

Mary Lou
                Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Hey Suanna
                  My Nicole is doing great she just needs to continue wearing a brace to stopped the lumbar from getting worse. She still has a bit to get her risser to 4 thats when we will start weaning her off the brace. The good thing is the brace is half the size of the regular boston brace so she doesn't mind wearing it .Her fusion is solid and he lifted all restrictions except for heavy lifting and contact sports. Dr Boachie keeping a close eye on her. We need to see him every 3 months til the brace is gone. Her curve is holding at 30 which is a good thing. We also still go for pt twice a week only because of the brace she wears it 20 hrs. a day. She back dancing 5 1/2 hrs a week and is the best thing to keep her in shape.
                  THERESA

Comment

Hi Susanna,

Joe seems to be doing well so far. A sore back after a long day maybe, but nothing major. He is getting out more and increasing activity which is good, just makes me a little nervous sometimes We saw some family today that hadn't seen Joe since before his surgery; everyone was surprised to see how tall he is now!

Mary Lou,

Glad to hear things are holding steady for now. Hopefully things will stabilize and Jamie can (somewhat) put this behind her.

Take care everyone,

Renee

Comment

Thanks Renee.

Mary Lou

Comment

hi susanna
                        i don't come on the board much at all either anymore, but i took a look this morning and saw your post. Glad to hear the great news, 1 year is definitely something to celebrate! My nicole continues to do really well and we go back to see Dr. Boachie in July just for another check up.
                        It's great to hear everyone else is doing so well also. We've all been through alot!
                        Jennifer

Comment

Hi Susannajon,
                          My son also hit the one year post op in March. He was very happy when his doctor told him he would not need to be seen for six months now. Life is good for him. All restrictions were lifted, and he is heavy into playing basketball. So I can totally relate. One year post op is very exciting indeed. Take Care, and enjoy her sucess together.
                          LeaEvelyn

Comment

Working...
                          X