Question re: Dr. Boachie's report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question re: Dr. Boachie's report

I got the write-up from my Dr. Boachie visit, and some of his terminology has me stumped. What's he mean by a lumbrosacral fractional curve? It's at L4-5, and it's 40 degrees. My main curve is the thoracolumbar curve (70 deg) from T9-L3. He also says I have a 56 deg. lordosis -- that's swayback, right? -- is that something that goes away when they correct the main curve?

Thank you one and all,
    Chris
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

I'd really encourage you to talk to your doctor about whether or not the lordosis will be correctable with surgery.
    36 year old single mom of teens ages 14 & 15.
    Anterior/posterior spinal fusion on February 9th & 16th 2006 with Dr. Anthony Moreno who now has his own practice.
    Fused from T-3 to S-1 (sacrum)
    Curve pre-op = 70 degrees
    Curve post op = 20 degrees
    No pain anymore!!
    Google is your friend

I am not a doctor and will never give medical advice. I will support and answer questions from personal experience only.

Comment

Hi Chris...

I think that it means that the L4-L5 curve is inconsequential, but I could be wrong.

Swayback isn't an orthopaedic curve, so that's not what it means. Lordosis is the normal curve at the back of the waist. Normal lordosis is 30-70 degrees, so they probably won't do anything to change that during surgery.

Regards,
      Linda
      Last edited by LindaRacine; 04-13-2006, 03:03 PM.
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I was under the impression that lordosis is swayback myself and after googling the terms swayback + orthopaedic, it seems that it is.
        http://health.allrefer.com/health/lordosis-info.html

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache%...%20orthopaedic
        In the other direction, as the hip flexors contract and back extensors contract, the pelvis is rotated forward -- increasing the curvature of the lower back. If this curve is increased too much another unhealthy posture may result. This condition is called lordosis in medical terminology, or swayback in common terms.
        http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache%...%20orthopaedic
        scoliosis (lateral curvature of the spine), kyphosis (rounding of the back), lordosis (swayback deformity), spondylolisthesis (slippage of a vertebra)
        Anterior/posterior spinal fusion on February 9th & 16th 2006 with Dr. Anthony Moreno who now has his own practice.
        No pain anymore!!
        Google is your friend

I am not a doctor and will never give medical advice. I will support and answer questions from personal experience only.

Comment

http://cancerweb.ncl.ac.uk/cgi-bin/o...ion=Search+OMD

swayback

Congenital locomotor ataxia of lambs, thought to be associated with copper deficiency. It is characterised clinically by progressive incoordination of the hind limbs and pathologically by disruption of neuron and myelin development in the central nervous system. It is caused by a deficiency of metabolizable copper in the ewe during the last half of her pregnancy.
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Aaaaaalrighty, then!

I'm not going to worry about the lordosis........!

Chris
            Chris
            A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
            Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
            Post-op curve: 12 degrees
            Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Chris, I was posting to you because I had lordosis as well.

But again, talk to your doctor about your lordosis as each person is different and each surgeon handles swayback/lordosis differently.

But on a funny note, I'm amazed to see that my copper deficiency during my pregnancy caused the incoordination in my hind limbs.
              Last edited by katblack; 04-13-2006, 03:27 PM.
              No pain anymore!!
              Google is your friend

Comment

Chris, i think everyone has lordosis... it's only when it's beyond the normal degrees that it needs surgical correction. Everyone has kyphosis to a certain degree too. The normal spine curves frontward and backward in these ways to balance itself. Scoliosis, of course you know, is the side-to-side curve. When the dr. corrects your scoliosis, he will certainly make sure that the others are compatable as well.

Comment

Working...
                X