Tethered Cord

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tethered Cord

Anybody heard of or have a tethered cord? I am having my surgery June 5th and i am concerned about a tethered cord. My MRI's were normal and my doctor told me i have nothing other than scoliosis. BUT, i am still wondering about this cord thing. Has anyone had this? My scoliosis is 40 lumbar never heard anything thoratic or whatever they call it i don't even know if i have a problem up top. All i know is i have pain! My lower back used to only hurt on the raised rib side but for a year or so the other side has beed hurting, so has my rear and tailbone and a lot of hip and leg pain. I also get uncomfortable driving because of the sitting. Sitting is the worst. I hurt all of the time. Thanks!

Stephanie
    Stephanie
    T11 to L3
    1 rib removed
    June 5, 2006

If nothing showed up on the MRI, you dont have it. People with tethered cord syndrome exhibit symptoms during childhood and have much more problems besides pain.. like bladder problems. Also, kids are first suspected to have tethered cord b/c there are visible signs mid back. (fatty area..and others I can't remember)
    Last edited by green m&m; 04-10-2006, 06:22 PM.
    30 something y.o.

2003 - T45, L???
    2005 - T50, L31
    bunch of measurements between...

2011 - T60, L32
    2013 - T68, L?

Posterior Fusion Sept 2014 -- T3 - L3
    Post - op curve ~35

Comment

Whewww.. that's a relief, Green.... Since my surgery, i've become a hypochondriac... lol.. everytime i read of something on here.. i start thinking... heyyyy.. i've got that!! lol

Comment

i guess i'm a hypochondriac too....lol!!!!

So i guess it's safe to say if it wasn't in the MRI its not there then???I wasn't sure if it was difficult to diagnose or find. I guess i am over reacting or scared or something.. not really sure. Like you said, it seems like when i read something its like "hey, i have that". I just wanted to be extra sure before the surgery. I wasn't sure if it required futher testing other than an MRI or if sometimes it wasn't found and was later seen some other way or found at the time of surgery. I know, i know, i just need to relax. I'll try! Thanks!

Stephanie
        Stephanie
        T11 to L3
        1 rib removed
        June 5, 2006

Comment

one more thing

i dont have visible signs on my back, and i did have a normal MRI but besides the pain ( which of course could just be from the scoliosis ) i do .....please excuse me for saying this......i do have bathroom issues.....nothing to bad or weird.

Stephanie
          So far NO tethered cord but i might still check
          Stephanie
          T11 to L3
          1 rib removed
          June 5, 2006

Comment

Hi

You really don't need to worry about a tethered cord - I actually have this and it shows up very clearly on an MRI.

Tethered cords usually only occur when there is some other kind of spinal abnormality and the most common cases are caused with spina bifida, particularly where the spina bifiida is repaired and scar tissue builds up. There are usually external signs as well, such as a dimple, fatty filium or dense hairy patch directly over the tethered area.

Your doctor is the best person to judge all of this as he has seen your MRI but scoliosis pain on sitting is really common. If you think that your muscles have to work so hard at propping up your back (rather than the bones in your spine) then the longer you sit the more they are getting squashed and in turn squash the nerves that go into your hips and legs.

I hope this puts your mind at rest - if not, on the links page attached to my blog, there are some good links to information about tethered cord.

Please try not to worry.
            Double 63(T)/75(L) deg curve with big sideways shift - Surgery in UK on 8th February 2006.
            Post op 30(T)/33(L)
            http://warpedwoman.blogspot.com/

Comment

Well I just got my MRI done last week and apparently I do have tethered cord. I'm a 19 year old male who is supposed to go to boot camp soon but this tethered cord is preventing me from going. I dont have any pain or discomfort with it, but I do have incontience, frequent urinary tract infections, and an enlarged bladder. Hell I would take the pain over any of these symptoms that I am experiencing. If your doctor didnt mention tethered cord to you I highly doubt you have it, consider yourself very lucky.

Comment

Working...
              X