segmental screw method vs. hooks and wires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• segmental screw method vs. hooks and wires

Segmental screw method vs. hooks and wires? Is there a higher failure rate of the bone not fusing using one method over the other? I asked my son's 2nd opinion doc this question and he told me really it is up to the doc what their preference is. I was curious if anyone had any information to offer about this?
    Linda
    Mom to Hunter (10 yrs old), status post posterior spinal fusion T1-sacrum 7/24/06 w/spastic quad CP

Just doing a simple google search using your key words,Segmental screw method vs. hooks and wires, I came up with this report;
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract

Patients were evaluated preoperatively, immediately postoperatively, and at 2-year follow-up according to radiographic changes in curve correction, operating time, intraoperative blood loss, implant costs, and the Scoliosis Research Society patient questionnaire (SRS-24) scores. RESULTS: After surgery, average major curve correction was 67.4% in the sublaminar wire and 68.1% in the pedicle screw group (P = 0.56). At 2-year follow-up, loss of the major curve correction was 4.6% in the sublaminar wire compared to 5.1% in the pedicle screw group (P = 0.79). Postoperative global coronal and sagittal balance were similar in both groups. No significant difference was found in the average number of levels fused from the distal end vertebra (1.48 in the sublaminar wire and 0.64 in the pedicle screw group, P = 0.21).
    CONCLUSIONS: Apical sublaminar wire and pedicle screw instrumentation both offer similar major curve correction with similar fusion lengths without neurologic problems in the operative treatment of AIS. Although more expensive, pedicle screw constructs had significantly less blood loss and slightly shorter fusion lengths than the sublaminar wire constructs.
    By all means, read the full report as I only quoted two sections.
    36 year old single mom of teens ages 14 & 15.
    Anterior/posterior spinal fusion on February 9th & 16th 2006 with Dr. Anthony Moreno who now has his own practice.
    Fused from T-3 to S-1 (sacrum)
    Curve pre-op = 70 degrees
    Curve post op = 20 degrees
    No pain anymore!!
    Google is your friend

I am not a doctor and will never give medical advice. I will support and answer questions from personal experience only.

Comment

Thanks, Katblack I checked out the website that had all the study information and read through it although it pertains to adolescent idiopathic scoliosis my son has neuromuscular scoliosis I still found it somewhat helpful.
      Linda
      Mom to Hunter (10 yrs old), status post posterior spinal fusion T1-sacrum 7/24/06 w/spastic quad CP

Comment

Google rocks for finding answers!

I took your key words and added a + neuromuscular scoliosis to it and came up with the following links!

http://www.spineuniverse.com/authorpubs.php?authorID=46
        http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/468467_print
        http://www.spinejournal.org/pt/re/spine/toc.00007632-200509150-00000.htm;jsessionid=Dj8z7j0YVBe07OhUBMKExUyjQdMih ei4Ot9z1uSbZ9YPBW0dK0sz!-85436088!-949856145!9001!-1

There are a ton more too. Google really can help you find any subject you need to look up.
        I didn't read these articles because there are literally thousands of websites out there with valuable information to be had if you know what you're looking for.
        36 year old single mom of teens ages 14 & 15.
        Anterior/posterior spinal fusion on February 9th & 16th 2006 with Dr. Anthony Moreno who now has his own practice.
        Fused from T-3 to S-1 (sacrum)
        Curve pre-op = 70 degrees
        Curve post op = 20 degrees
        No pain anymore!!
        Google is your friend

I am not a doctor and will never give medical advice. I will support and answer questions from personal experience only.

Comment

Yes, after I read that study I did search on google and you're right there is a ton of stuff out there! Thanks, once again for the help and tip!
          Linda

Comment

Working...
          X