Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blood donations

Hi
    I'm going in to donate my own blood in a couple of weeks. I've been reading that some doctors prescribe iron pills. I wasn't prescribed anything..........should I be taking iron? Also, what actually happens during a PRE-OP appointment? Thanks
    Jenn
    37 y/o female
    60 degree lumbar
    45 degree thoracic
    1st time anterior/posterior surgery May 8th and 10th 2006
    T 5 to S 1
    NYC

Blood donation info.

Hi Summer, My Dr. wanted me to give blood also before my surgery and he wanted 2 units (Pints.) Well I thought that was no problem except that when I called to make the appt. I was told of the short shelf life of whole blood and you need 1 week between donations. So you must know your exact surgery date and not change it after donating. After finding out no insurance covers this and each unit was $300 I called my Dr. I wanted to know how much he really thought he would need this. He said almost always in older patients (50-60 ish)almost never in adolescents and young adults. I explained how much it was and insurance would only cover it if it was used.(He couldn't believe they charged that much.) We though about waiting to see in the O.R. if I needed any then just go with it (donation blood) or just do one unit for a precaution. We decided to get one unit of my own for reserve. I was told by my insurance I could be reimbursed if it was used. (We will see. They gave it to me two days later. As well as iron pills. I was anemic I think I remember them saying.) Also, when I went to give my blood they took a pin prick of it to test to see if cell count was good enough to take donation that day, total surprise! I asked what if it wasn't and they said I would have had to re-schedule! Nice notice after driving all the way across town and surgery so close it was the last day I would have been able to donate! My Dr. wanted donation a full 3 weeks before surgery to recover fully. (I wasn't able to go sooner due to my husband shattering his wrist and me wondering if I was going to need to postpone my surgery!) Iron might not hurt ask Dr. Maybe call your blood center and see what might cause you not to be able to give on the day you schedule. Sorry so long, but hope it helps you.

Comment

Originally posted by summer
      Hi
      I'm going in to donate my own blood in a couple of weeks. I've been reading that some doctors prescribe iron pills. I wasn't prescribed anything..........should I be taking iron? Also, what actually happens during a PRE-OP appointment? Thanks
      You can take an iron supplement if you want to, they are available in the vitamin section.
      The reason for taking iron is because they will do a quick test and if your iron levels are below 33, they will not let you donate the blood.
      Eat lots of iron rich foods like steak, broccoli, artichokes, chicken etc.

The pre-op is where they go over step by step what's going to happen during surgery, how long it's going to last and have you sign papers and answer any further questions you may have.
      It's not a bad thing.
      Best wishes!
      36 year old single mom of teens ages 14 & 15.
      Anterior/posterior spinal fusion on February 9th & 16th 2006 with Dr. Anthony Moreno who now has his own practice.
      Fused from T-3 to S-1 (sacrum)
      Curve pre-op = 70 degrees
      Curve post op = 20 degrees
      No pain anymore!!
      Google is your friend

I am not a doctor and will never give medical advice. I will support and answer questions from personal experience only.

Comment

Hi summer,
        I've heard from other patients that my Dr. puts you on iron pills 2 mths before surg. good luck w/everythg Ly

Comment

I took iron pills for two of my surgeries, and even with them I was anemic after, especially the first time, wich I found out years later and it did slow down my recuperation. I suggest you get them prescribed, I don't know if you have Palafer 300 mg in the US, but those are the ones I take and they're supposed to be the "easiest" on the stomach-even if iron does give heartburn and other problems for some people. Two weeks before surgery is good. It's good to take it one hour before a meal with a fruit juice, as vit.C helps to assimilate iron. I also suggest changing your diet a bit, like eating more iron filled foods(I ate some liver ). Both times I had to donate two pints, and after the second pint, it was ROUGH. I was VERY weak(could barely walk for two days) and it was a little over a week before surgery, but never really recovered until weeks after surgery where I ate like horse and took many types of vitamins. I was weak, my head was spinning and it's not fun when you're trying to walk as much as you can and also sit up. The morphine didn't help matters though. Two pints is good though, the first surgery they used them but this last time it was useless as they didn't use them b/c I didn't lose that much blood(surgery was three hours, shorter), and I was at the limit as far as my iron levels, so they thought it was best to not gime me back my blood. But like I said I took the pills for a month after surgery as well, I would also recommend that for you.
          Last edited by sweetness514; 04-08-2006, 01:53 PM.
          35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
          Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
          Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
          Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
          Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Pre op

It's a day where you take X rays and sign papers, talk with a nurse and anesthesiologist, etc. That's how it was for me, and it lasted all day( so much waiting between all the things to get done ) , so in case it's that way for you, be sure to drink and eat
            Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
            Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
            Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Originally posted by sweetness514
              It's a day where you take X rays and sign papers, talk with a nurse and anesthesiologist, etc. That's how it was for me, and it lasted all day( so much waiting between all the things to get done ) , so in case it's that way for you, be sure to drink and eat
              Exactly. I spent like 6 hours at the hospital that day going over procedures, meeting the team and anesthesiologist and finding out where all the various rooms would be.
              They gave me a mini-tour with my sis so she would know which floor/rooms I would be in/on during and after surgery.

As for me suggesting that you buy iron supplements yourself, I said that only because her doc didn't prescribe her any and she will get very weak if she has to donate a lot of blood. I did 4 units in 4 weeks and even taking script strength iron, I came very close to not being able to donate cuz my count was at 35 (the cut off is at 33). I just upped my intake of more iron rich foods and really ate well and rested like crazy that whole 4 weeks.

If you know where you will be self donating, call them ahead of time and ask for suggestions on upping your iron intake through food. They will be more than happy to help you. The blood center I went to were so sweet and helpful. They called me a few weeks ago to see how I was doing. Even in such a short time, 4 weeks, we had built a mini-relationship over our one hour get togethers...lol
              36 year old single mom of teens ages 14 & 15.
              Anterior/posterior spinal fusion on February 9th & 16th 2006 with Dr. Anthony Moreno who now has his own practice.
              Fused from T-3 to S-1 (sacrum)
              Curve pre-op = 70 degrees
              Curve post op = 20 degrees
              No pain anymore!!
              Google is your friend

I am not a doctor and will never give medical advice. I will support and answer questions from personal experience only.

Comment

Iron

The last time I had surgery, they also didn't prescribe me any pills, but I knew what to do since I had been there before and have prescriptions since I get anemic from time to time. So yeah, getting iron wthout prescriptions is good as well

Comment

Pre-op appt

Hey Summer, as for your pre-op appt. start a list of last questions you may have and bring it along. Also, the best question I asked my Dr. at the end of our appt. ended up being "Have I missed anything?" He filled me in on a couple of things they would be doing that I found no information about prior to him telling me. best wishes.

Comment

My doctor's office told me to give blood for myself, also. I needed 3 units. The first two were no problem. When I went to give the third, I was too low on iron. I had been on a diet, but went off that day. I ate plenty of iron-rich food, including liver. You can get a list of these from your doctor or the place where you are giving blood. Nuts are on the list, too, as well as Spinich. I happen to love all of these, so there was no problem, but there is a some-what long list of things to choose from. I went the next week and had no problem giving blood, which was good because I left the following week to Boston for my pre-op appt and surgery. Good luck to you. I'll be praying for you! Linda

Comment

I just got a call at work from the American Red Cross. I need to donate two units of blood starting this Friday. I made it clear to my surgeon that I wanted to donated my own blood if possible (as I have had problems with anemia in the past). I am so squeamish about the whole thing though. I'm not looking forward to it that's for sure. No mention of iron supplements so far.

This is all starting to feel very real to me.

Brandi
                      Brandi
                      Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
                      Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
                      L1-S1
                      Dr. William Lauerman
                      Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
                      Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
                      http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

Hi Suzy,

If you don't mind me asking, what insurance do you have? We had to pay $270 for my son's blood donation in Dec. Then when I submitted a claim (we have Blue Cross PPO) they denied it. During his surgery they did use the blood he donated, so I'm thinking maybe I should resubmit claim

Renee

Comment

Liver

I learn something on this blog everyday. I had no idea that patients are charged to donate their own blood! I guess it's for storage etc. Sounds like the bill keeps adding up...not to mention Dr Boachie already doesn't take insurance.

Anyway, I didn't log on to complain. Wanted to point out that almost everything I've read on surgery recommends that we increase our iron count. I think most people hate liver because it's not really seasoned and generally tastes blah. if you have any friends from Jamaica (or maybe other parts of the Caribbean) you should ask them how to prepare liver. It tastes really good (it's seasoned with black pepper, tomatoes, eskellions etc. and sometimes we add Kidneys to the mix). It's an easy way to add iron without having to remember supplements or consuming other hard to digest forms of iron. Definitely have it with orange juice / a source of vitamin c. There's an actual chemical rxn that between the juice and the iron that allows your body to absorb more - was almost a chem major in college so this is not an old wives tale

Comment

Liver

I'm not a big fan of it also, but had to eat SOME after my donations, I was so weak. My mom taught me to prepare it with onions and flour, not TOO bad, but still mushy .

Comment

Renee, I have BCBS PPO, also, and they denied me. I am submitting an appeal for it, and you should, too. I have been advised to go through my HR at work for the appeal. Good luck! Let me know what happens, please!

Comment

Working...
                              X