Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bracing and the summertime heat

Hello,
    My 8-year old son has been wearing a Boston brace for a couple of months, but never yet in warm weather. Our summers are usually in the high 80's and 90's, and close to 100 when we camp in the summer.

Realistically, should I expect him to wear his brace less often in the summertime than he does in the cooler weather that we have now? I have been trying to find summer camps that have swimming and that have some time inside a cooler place.

If you have any suggestions for making the brace more tolerable in the hot weather, I would appreciate it.

Thank you,
    jeanz (Mom to an 8-year old boy with S-shaped idiopathic scoliosis)

good sweat absorbing vests underneath, use of airconditioning and a fan and lots of time swimming is what we did. We choose our holiday destination in a mountanous part of europe (switserland), so we could go high up on a warm day. How much time he should have in brace/ out of brace needs to be according to advice of your doctor, however, if regime is unmanageable he will eventually rebel and not wear anything at all.

We felt eventually that a hardbrace was so harsh on our child tthat we choose to switch to the spinecor brace, how effective that is we do not know yet, but wearer comfort is absolutely superior

gerbo

Comment

http://www.kuhle.com/
      you can try above devices or the likes to cool down the body to compensate for the heat accumulation due to additional layers (ie. braces)...there are other types of such devices as lite cooling vests and such..

also..there are folk remedies which if you care to try..it's a bit off the wall lol..
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4117856.stm
      refer to above article..
      babe ruth (the overweight baseball guy lol) used to keep cabbages in his cap to keep himself cool during summer season...before you dismiss it as silly nonsense, they did actually test this out by having volunteers wear cabbage under the cap and had them do series of activities and observed less heat accumulation among cabbage wearers compared to the control group without it...infra-red device was used for measurement of body heat...
      since then the pitchers started wearing it during games thus above article is the result of that...after a wild wind up and fast pitch, pitcher would lose the cap along with cabbages lol...you could try it just for fun heh~
      An important scientific innovation rarely makes its way by gradually winning over and converting its opponents: it rarely happens that Saul becomes Paul. What does happen is that its opponents gradually die out, and that the growing generation is familiarised with the ideas from the beginning.

Max Planck (the founder of Quantum Physics)

Comment

i had my brace for 4 summers and in all honesty, i didnt wear my brace 18 hrs a day, but i did wear it, the heat was unbearable, but i lived. of course, i was 10+, not 8, so i had much more time on my own that i woudl secretly take off my brace than i young child. i wouldnt advise letting him take it off too much. i regret so much my parents not albolutely forcing me to wear that brace, even though i hated it and cried and screamed. my 2 cents.

Comment

Reading these posts remind me of when I was a kid . I had the Boston Back Brace at age 11 in New York City and somedays the temp would be 100 or 110 degree. I hated having to put that thing on 23 out of 24 hours a day. Like Kate B I figured out how to take it off by myself. By the way taking the brace off isn't the smartest thing to do. Anyway My mom would take me swimming to cool off and I didn't have to wear the brace in water. As you can guess I wanted to go swimming every day. To this day people say I'm part fish ( my 2 cents)

Drumgod
          45 degree curve

Comment

I sent you a private message - it was a bit long to post here.
            mariaf305@yahoo.com
            Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
            Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

hi
              i live in florida so i have weather above 70 degrees all year long.
              i wear my brace almost all the time.
              when i get too sweaty i take it of and take a 15 minute break and then i change my shirt underneath my brace.
              hope this helps
              Veronika

35-40T
              55L
              next aptment in august
              Mák Veronika
              14 yr.o. girl 9th grade
              40T
              54L
              +rotation
              Boston Brace since December 2005
              Location in Florida