Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone my age out there?

Hi

I am 49 yrs. old and considering the surgery. Is there anyone out there that is my age or around my age that has had the surgery? Curious about the recovery at this age. And how was the outcome.

Thanks
    Debbie
    A/P Surgery Oct.15 and 18, 2007
    T2 to Sacrum
    Pre-surgery 56* T 60* L
    Post-surgery 28* T 30* L
    Dr. Pashman, Cedars-Sinai Hospital
    Bevery Hills, CA

Debbie, age 51 at surgery.
    Now, 59 yrs young :-)

Hi debbie,
    I'm not to far behind you---46 yrs old. seems to me it depends on your physical shape, type of surgery & mental state. I never think of 50 or even 60 as old. People are so conscious of health now/healthy lifestyles ...Ly
    good luck w/ you decision.

Comment

Hi Debbie...

I had surgery at the age of 42, and know many who have had surgery in their 50's, and even some in their 60's, 70's, & 80's. I think recovery is definitely more difficult the older one is, and I know that the complication rate increases as we age. However, I still think I did the right thing. You can read my story here:

http://www.scoliosislinks.com/AboutMe.htm

Regards,
      Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Debbie and welcome to the Forum!
        I'm older than you are and have just had surgery 6 months ago... (heyyyy.. its my 6 month anniversary tomorrow for the first surgery!!!)
        I hear that 50 is the new 30... so in that case, i'm 33 ... lol. The first few months after surgery is pretty grim, and I seemed to trade one set of pains for another. The good thing about it is the surgical pains are only temporary. They soon fade and things start improving more and more each day. The constant ache and pain that was there before is just a memory now. Each day i find things are better than the day before, and i'm so thankful that i went ahead and had the surgery done. I just regret that i didnt have it done sooner, but i guess if i had, my big sons wouldn't have been able to pick me up out of a chair and stand me on my feet the way they had to sometimes right at first. They are 20 now (twins each 7ft tall...lol) and have been sooo much help!
        You've come to a great place for information and advice and emotional support...

JoAnn

Comment

joann,
          happy 6 mth anniv! & twin boys 20 yrs old--wow, they must have been great to have around for help!!!! Ly

Comment

Debbie, I just turned 49, and the best thing I ever did was have surgery this past November. I am almost 5 months post-op, and my pain level is almost nil! I feel better than I have in over 10 years. Good luck to you!

JoAnn--HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!!

Comment

A 48 year considering the surgery.

Hi. I am new to the site since January. I am 48 years young and am having my first surgery consultation May 16th. I was told, like many of you, that once I stopped growing that my scoliosis would not get any worse. I thought my back looked worse when I would look at it but thought it was all in my head (a lot of emotional baggage about body image). Now I know it was not. I have curves of 52 T-spine, approximately 80 degrees TL, and approximately 38 in the L spine.

I'm just glad there is forum for people who know what it is like to deal with having a spinal deformity. I am nervous as can be about the surgery but want to just get it over with and get on with my life. I am glad that I have a supportive husband and my kids are older, ages 15 and 10. My 10-year-old girl is wonderful and is very supportive (years older emotionally than most).

Did any of you out there have a mother who basically went into denial with the whole thing? My mom didn't even bother to get the phone number of a doctor who performed surgery on an adult friend of mine who had the surgery at age 33. She just said "Oh, so and so had the surgery" in passing. I has shocked and elated and had to bug her to get the phone number of the person so I could find out more info. She acted like it was no big deal and why would I bother? She knows how bad I have felt about my body image all these years...

Kkong

Comment

Hi kkong,
                My parents got me checked when I was a teen & I wore the brace for a few yrs. I felt cured, no problems & my parents really did'nt bring it up again until after the birth of my boys... Then my sisters & mom kept at me to get it checked but I was too afraid.......
                Good luck w/ your May appmt. I set my surgery for Aug. in Jan. & can tell you it may be good on one hand to get stuff done but the down side is it seems real long when you are waiting to get it 'over with'. 3 1/2 mths to go....Lynne -- I'm trying to enjoy every day & all activities of spring/summer before Aug date. I have down days but try to stay positive & be so thkful there is something that can be done for us & gifted surgeons to do it!

Comment

Debbie: I am 48 years old and am scheduled for surgery on May 16. I did a lot of research on scoliosis, but the most helpful was reading Dave Wolpert's book. I purchased the first edition. It is very informative, guiding the reader through helping to make the decision and preparing for surgery, down to the smallest detail. I had nightmares for a few nights after reading the chapter about the few days post-op, but in the long run I'd rather face the truth.

It helped me tremendously with my decision and I hope you will read it. I promise it will help you evaluate the pros and cons. I am fearful, but the pain in my lower back and legs is making me toss and turn all night. It's to the point that I know something has to be done. Also, I checked out my surgeon (Dr. Robert Gaines) in various ways and received very positive comments. It is very important to select a surgeon who has lots of experience with scoliosis correction.

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                  X