A waist!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A waist!!!

Hey everybody out there! I went to the doc in February and found out that I needed surgery. I decided to wait a few years until my kids are a little older (I'm 30 right now). There is a lot of scary and overwhelming information about back surgery so I am trying to focus on the positives. One of the things that my doctor told me was that, as a result of my surgery, I would get a waist! A real, true waist!!! I don't know about you but I am almost a rectangle, I have no waist at all. Is it true? Am I really going to have a waist? He also told me that he could fix my shoulder sticking out. The surgery and recovery are going to be difficult but it would be nice knowing that, as a result, I might have a somewhat normal looking body.
    Tara
    Thoracic=56 degrees
    Lumbar=60 degrees
    Tara
    31 yrs old
    Thoracic=56 degrees
    Lumbar=60 degrees

Hi Tara,
    I basically have no waist too. I have about the same curves as you...60 lumbar & 60 thor. Sometimes at night I lie on the bed & try to stretch my body, with arms over head!!! Lynne surg this aug.

Comment

Waist

Are "boobs" included?

Chris

Comment

It's true! I had no waist either and now I have a torso and a waist! Woot!

Sadly Chris wbs, I lost my boobs when I dropped 35 pounds during my hospital stay...lol
        36 year old single mom of teens ages 14 & 15.
        Anterior/posterior spinal fusion on February 9th & 16th 2006 with Dr. Anthony Moreno who now has his own practice.
        Fused from T-3 to S-1 (sacrum)
        Curve pre-op = 70 degrees
        Curve post op = 20 degrees
        No pain anymore!!
        Google is your friend

I am not a doctor and will never give medical advice. I will support and answer questions from personal experience only.

Comment

good question

Hey yeah, good question about the boobs!! I'm lopsided right now because of my back. Does that improve????
          Tara
          31 yrs old
          Thoracic=56 degrees
          Lumbar=60 degrees

Comment

Actually, all women's breasts are not the same size, it's true, google that.
            But I was a 38c before surgery and even though I have not been able to put a bra on yet due to my scar/wound still healing, I noticed immediately upon returning home that my weight loss caused my breasts to decrease.
            I'm hoping through a good healthy eating plan and exercise, I can get some boobs back..lol

I lost weight because I was on a very strong anti-biotic due to a UTI from the catheter and could not eat anything other than jello the entire 16 days in the hospital.
            I was very sick to my stomach at the mere site of food.

But all my life, I had no torso, no waist. Clothes never fit me right ever. I would never wear a bathing suit to the beach or pool, lots of shorts and xxl t-shirts and I rarely ever went swimming because then the shirt would get wet and cling to my crooked square body.
            After i came home and looked in the mirror at my new body, I cried. I had a torso and a waist. It was beautiful.
            I actually look like a woman is supposed to look for the first time in my 36 years of life.
            Last edited by katblack; 04-05-2006, 07:39 PM.
            36 year old single mom of teens ages 14 & 15.
            Anterior/posterior spinal fusion on February 9th & 16th 2006 with Dr. Anthony Moreno who now has his own practice.
            Fused from T-3 to S-1 (sacrum)
            Curve pre-op = 70 degrees
            Curve post op = 20 degrees
            No pain anymore!!
            Google is your friend

I am not a doctor and will never give medical advice. I will support and answer questions from personal experience only.

Comment

Alright. You girls are excited about maybe having boobs. I was HAPPY when I lost some of mine. Good luck to you! I wish you the best!!!!

Comment

Before my surgery (8 weeks ago now) - I had a waist on one side only! Actually I still do, but on the one side it's just 'cos my swelling hasn't completely gone down - I am gradually getting one tho' as the swelling decreases! I still can't quite believe the change in my shape!
                Double 63(T)/75(L) deg curve with big sideways shift - Surgery in UK on 8th February 2006.
                Post op 30(T)/33(L)
                http://warpedwoman.blogspot.com/

Comment

Wow. Yet another upside to having surgery. I have no waist as well and have longed for an hourglass shape for years.
                  Brandi
                  Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
                  Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
                  L1-S1
                  Dr. William Lauerman
                  Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
                  Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
                  http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

That was the very first thing both my husband and I noticed immediately after surgery! I "grew" a waist! My curves were more symmetrical! Even my clothes fit better. And my boobs became more symmetrical too, and level, meaning one wasn't lower than the other because I was listing to one side. In fact, my girlfriends made me a t-shirt. It reads:
                    Back Surgery: $15,000
                    Metal Rods: $20,000
                    Even Boobies: Priceless!

Meg is Spinewhine
                    31 years old with thoracic curve
                    Wore Boston brace as teenager, but curve continued to progress.
                    Surgery on 12/13/2005 with correction from over 55 degrees to under 25 degrees. (Ya baby!)

The nitty gritty at:
                    http://spinewhine.blogspot.com/

Comment

Haha

Meg, that is hilarious! And so true!!

Tara
                      Tara
                      31 yrs old
                      Thoracic=56 degrees
                      Lumbar=60 degrees

Comment

Hahaha Meg, i love that!!

Yep, the curves return!!! AND i even lost some of my extra bottom! I think maybe it is because of my improved posture, but i'm not able to "serve tea off my bottom shelf" anymore...

We deserve SOMETHING for all we have been thru, don't we??

Comment

My 'new' waist was one of the first things I noticed too after my surgery...I would stand in front of the mirror and just stare at my hips and waist! I've noticed that I wear my clothes a little tighter now that I actually have some curves to show off (well, as many curves as you can get at 5'1 and 105 lbs). My right hip still goes in a slight bit further than my left, but I really don't care anymore...I used to wear baggy clothes to hide it, but not anymore!

Comment

Working...
                          X