Sleeping in Boston Brace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sleeping in Boston Brace?

is if difficult to sleep in the boston brace? I am getting one next week, and am a little apprehensice about it
    ♥SARAH♥

Hi Sarah,
    My daughter is 12 and got her boston style brace last August. It took her 3 nights and then she was sleeping in it all night. Your orthotist (bracemaker) should gie you some guidelines to get used to sleeping in it. If you have any questions after you get it please ask. My daughter adjusted very quickly to wearing it and has slept soundly in it every night since then. Be encouraged!
    Kim
    Kim

Comment

My daughter (Caitlin - aged 12) has been in a Boston brace since December. We were worried about sleeping in the brace as well (since it seemed impossible to me). Somone on one of the other fourms suggested loosening the brace a little for a few nights until you got used to the sensation of it while sleeping. This worked very well for Caitlin. She slept with it a little loose for just two or three nights, and was then able to fall asleep with it tightened up. She now sleeps in it just fine.

Patricia
      Patricia
      Scoli Mum from New Zealand
      Daughter Caitlin's surgery 2nd May 2005
      Posterior fusion T3 - L1

Comment

I wore a Boston for 4 years. What I found is that after a little while of discomfort and finding comfy positions, you can sleep pretty well in it. (after even longer, you sleep fine!)
        for me, sleeping was even comfier than regular daytime, I dunno why.
        if you're uncomfy, try taking a lot of pillows and sleeping in some way on them. at one point, (actually in my first Charleston brace) I was sleeping on 5 pillows and 1 for my head!!

good luck,
        AZ

Comment

Hi! i've wore a boston brace for 3 years...because i'm still growing, i will probably be getting surgery b/c the brace is not holding the curve. Anyways, yes, sleeping is pretty hard at first but it sort feels good too b/c went you lay down, the brace doesn't fit quite as tight. i would definetly try wearing a seamless shirt or one that doesn't have very many seams. When you wake up the seams sorta stick to you and causes pain.
          Chelsea

"to all the living there is hope..."
          Ecclesiastes 9:4

Comment

I had surgery recently and I almost miss sleeping in my brace! What I'm trying to say is that you get used to it very quickly, so don't worry! Sometimes the brace causes red pressure sores. These can be relieved by applying rubbing alcohol to the sore and letting it evaporate.
            Charlotte

48 degree upper curve
            L2 to T4
            Braced for 4 years
            Surgery 2/4/04

Comment

I wore a Boston Brace for 16 hours a day for four years. I agree about the rubbing alcohol, it really helps. Also wear a men's ribbed sleeveless undershirt under your brace to avoid sticking.

As far as sleepig goes...I found laying down to be the most comfortable position while wearing a brace. I spent most summers on the couch watching movies. You can actually balance a glass on the front of your brace so you don't need a tray. I ALWAYS wore my brace at night except when I was allowed sleep-over every few months.

The hardest part was I had a water bed and couldn't use it because of the prongs on my brace.

Other notes: I could never use the toillet with my brace on and insisted that it come off for this. Also travelling is too uncomfortable in a brace don't force your kids into this, if your worried have them make up the hours once you get home. My suggestions is summer months: wear your brace from 8pm to Noon (if you can sleep in this keeps discomfort to a minimum and you can lay and watch TV in the evening. During School Year: Brace off before school, back on when you get home (it sucks yes).

I lost a lot of weight while in my brace because eating was constrictive. Don't buy too many clothes once you get out of it since you'll gain a bit back to a normal size.

There are probablly other students at your schools with this problem. I found comfort in coming together with these students to talk about this with. There were at least 3-4 others in my grade.

Comment

Sleeping in a boston brace

I just got my boston brace over a week ago and i still can't get a good nights sleep in it. It still feels really painfull and tight. How did you get used to sleeping in it? Also, are there any sleeping positions that are more comfy then others with the brace?

Comment

^^ i lay on my back usually. or my right side because of how it comes up on the left.

:]
                  i have scoliosis. third boston brace. (:

Comment

yea heather.. me too..
                    i also find it the most comfortable to lay on my back even though i hate it
                    but curveyspine3, ull somehow will find ur most confortable position to lay in.
                    The first night i got my brace i slept with it and my doctor told me that i am
                    the first girl he knows of that slept with her new brace on the first night. i found
                    it kind of comfortable since where u lay down at the bottom of ur back there is like
                    a part that does not touch the bed and in my brace i feel it like it like its full and thats
                    what i love about sleeping with it and i dont even feel it. Out of the whole day with my brace
                    my favorite part is sleeping.lol.
                    My name is Rotem
                    I am 13 and in 7th grade
                    Started with 2 curves:
                    34º Therotical
                    50º Lumber
                    I currently wear a Cheneau Brace
                    Got my 1st on Nov. '06
                    Got my 2nd on Nov. '07
                    Just got my 3rd one today (May7 '08)
                    and im still trying to get used to it
                    Hoping I won't need surgery
                    I live in South Florida
                    3rd check on November 17,2007,
                    Got an X-ray done Feb. 5th, with EXCELLENT news!
                    30º Theoratical
                    37º Lumber
                    4th check on May 7, 2008

Comment

^^ i slept it with loosened the 1st night.
                      i hate sleeping on my back too.
                      =/
                      i have scoliosis. third boston brace. (:

Comment

Working...
                      X