Orthopedics - Ulnar Shortening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orthopedics - Ulnar Shortening

I'm due to have ulnar shortening in my wrist in the next few months. I originally hurt myself last June, and have gone through physio (two 3-4 month periods), cortisone shots, an MRI, and recently met with a wrist trauma guy who is a high-up at McGill University’s orthopedic school. He said that, when I broke my wrist when I was a kid, I broke it where the TFCC attaches to the radius and the ulna.

Normally, when your wrist is fine, your TFCC acts as a little trampoline to cushion your bones. However, because of where my break is (which is partially unhealed), every time I move my wrist my TFCC pulls on some membrane piece, and causes pain. To fix this, they would normally just put a screw through my old fracture, and that would be the end of it. However, my ulna is too long, so they are going to shorten it 3-4mm.

Has anyone ever had, or known someone who had ulnar shortening surgery? I believe its called ulnar osteotomy in the medical world. I play a lot of squash, so I'm worried that I won’t be able to play any longer, as well as have a gimpy wrist for the rest of my life. However, I'm still rather young (22), and figure I can heal rather well.

Hi Seanvdb,

I have had a similar experience. I graduated from High School in May of 1978. I received an athletic scholarship to attend college. I was playing summer softball, when I made the mistake of sliding head first into home with my right arm, and a much larger catcher landed on my shoulder. I played the rest of the summer with some discomfort.

I went to college and played volleyball in August, with an overhand serve, and my shoulder would swell and bother me. At first, I was told it was bursitis. When I finally had a xray, my doctor told me my right clavical was too long.

I had a 1/4 of an inch of it cut off in December of '78 and I was ready for the softball season that started practice in February. And to this day my shoulder is fine. I hope this helps to ease your mind.

Shari

Comment

Hey Shari,

Thanks for responding,

Do you still have the plate and pins in there? The doctor said I'd live with some minor morning pain... do you have that sort of thing?

Comment

Hi Seanvdb,

Sorry for my slow response. No, I have no plates or screws in my shoulder.

They just trimmed off the excess bone and reattached my ligaments and tendons and I have never had a problem with it again.

Shari

Comment

Working...
        X