kyphosis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kyphosis

My name is tony and im new here. I'm 21 years old and have kyphosis, my spine curve is 73 degree. I have lower back pain and i'm always very uncomftorable with my back. I've seen 5 orthopedic surgeons and 2 out of 5 doctors said I should do the surgery and the rest said I shouldn't do it. I'm very confused and depressed about it. I need advice from someone who has done the surgery and recovered, I want to know if its worth doing the surgery? Does your back hurt after its all done healing? Are you able to be very active, flexible, and do what ever you want without your back effecting you?

Hi Tony,

My daughter who is 14 1/2 y.o. had surgery to correct her Scoliosis-46* and Kyphosis-72* about 15 months ago and she is doing great! She has never regretted her decision. You asked if your back hurts after the surgical recovery, well, Jamie never really complains about her back hurting at all. Right after her surgery, she would complain of soreness if she overdid it, but that didn't last long. So far, she hasn't found anything that she can't do that she wants to do.

Mary Lou
    Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

The decision is up to you, and how much pain you're willing to take. I had my surgery when my top curve was 60, not just b/c of pain but b/c of the fear of having problems with my lungs and heart later on and I knew I eventually had to have it.

As far as pain years after surgery, for me I developped other types of pain and it's different for everybody, as the back is so complex. I just had my third surgery in 8 years, and that is also a risk that we take when we have this surgery-no matter how good the outcome or doctor. Some are pain free for a long time, and others aren't. Side effects are usually broken hardware, non unions, and mostly DDD wich come from the fact that when some vertebreas are fused, the ones who are not take more of a beating. But exercises and taking care of your back helps. I can't do everything I want, as much as before like bending a lot when I dance or sitting in low sportscars(examples for me). As far as flexibility, it depends how low they will fuse, but you can retain a lot of it, depending on the pain and how flexible you are.

You do have a big curve, and are very young, so I am a bit puzzled as to why some orthos don't want you to operate now, but I'm not a doctor and don't know everything about your case.

Good luck about your decision.
      Last edited by sweetness514; 04-02-2006, 02:04 PM.
      35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
      Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
      Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
      Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
      Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Hi Tony...

If your pain is in your lower back, correcting your kyphosis probably won't resolve it. I wonder if you have disc problem(s) in your lower back.

Regards,
        Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thanks for your interest, I do have a couple of bad disks that are compressed in my lower back. The doctors said it was caused by the pressure of my upper back bending forward. The pain is not severe, I only take pain killers after a long day of work when my back really hurts.

Comment

Working...
          X