Weight loss after surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weight loss after surgery

Hi. Is weight loss common after this kind of surgery? I am currently losing weight (only about 10 -15 lbs overweight now) and doc said take it slow as there is a potential for weight loss after surgery. Anybody have any offerings as to how much they have lost (or gained)?

Oh yes! The surgery diet! I didn't really need to loose much weight and I lost almost 20lbs after surgery. It was really quick, in about a week.

Now part of the reason I lost that much so quick was I got a bad stomach virus when I got home from the hospital. For 5 days I couldn't keep any food down at all. It was horrible. Anyway my stomach shrunk and has not gone back to it's normal size and I am almost 4 months post op. I"m happy that I'm thinner but it wasn't a healthy way to loose it.

I've heard from many others they have lost weight just from the surgery. Mainly because you don't have a good appetite after surgery. Is your surgery anterior (abdominal) or posterior (back). Mine was anterior so they go through all your organs and have to move them around. Nothing will be normal for a while after that type of surgery.

I'm finally starting to get my appetite back after almost 4 months but I still can't eat very much at a time. So I have to have little snacks during the day.

I just hope the weight doesn't come back. So far it hasn't, we'll see.
    Just make sure to eat lots of good lean means, and veggies after surgery. What you eat really makes a difference in how you feel.

Good luck!
    Shelly
    Anterior Spinal Fusion and titanium rod and screws inserted to correct 45 degree thoracolumbar curve from T12 - L4 on 1/4/06.

Comment

Hi...

I was afraid I'd actually gain weight because I'd be so inactive. Instead, I didn't get a real appetite back until about 3 weeks after surgery, so I lost about 20 pounds.

--Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi brokenangel!!
        I lost a lot of weight too.. one of the nice side-effects of the surgery! I lost about 25 lbs, but i had plenty to spare to begin with...lol. I'm almost 6 months post-op now and it's beginning to creep back on, if i don't watch my calories and exercise. You just won't feel any interest in food for a long time... and maybe you will think something would be good to eat, but when you put it in your mouth, it is disappointing, or too exhausting to eat it...
        I had 3 operations in one week... was anterior and posterior from T4-S1... so all my 'insides' were affected almost...
        I was so afraid that i would be like poor Elizabeth Taylor after her back surgery and gain a huge amount of weight...lol. So i was happy to lose instead.. Now if i can just keep it down!
        good luck to you hon.... We are here for emotional support and advice whenever you need us... Welcome aboard...
        JoAnn

Comment

I lost something like 15-20 pounds while I was in for my two surgeries. My doctor told me during my discharge from the hospital to eat when I felt like it.

Comment

Brokenangel,

I was 112 lbs before surgery and lost down to 99 lbs. Thirteen pounds is an extremely noticeable amount when you are thin to begin with. Despite the surgery and recovery...I had an enormous appetite(once I recovered from the constipation). I gained 5 lbs back and have maintained a weight of 104 lbs. for the past 3 yrs. Although thin, I'm probably healthier than I was before surgery. With that said, I personally wouldn't recommend you trying to lose the extra 15 pounds you think you need to lose. I would recommend that you consult your doctor before dieting.

I understand your fears and anxiety. Been there, done that and have the T-shirt. I have wrote your name in my prayer journal. May God give you peace and comfort and may you have a succesful surgery and a quick and full recovery.

Kindest Regards,
            Gail

Comment

I was 110 lbs going into surgery and immediately following, lost 15 lbs. I'm now 14 months post-op and am back up to 105. It took me a good 6 months to get my full appetite back. I agree that you should consult with your doctor before trying to lose any more weight before your surgery. Your body will go through major trauma and changes due to your surgery and any added stress from a diet might not be good. A doctor is best to determine this though. Good luck with everything!

Comment

My friends think I'm nuts, but after I heard weight loss is a common side effect of scoliosis surgery, I have been excited about it. I have been trying to lose the same 10 lbs. for what seems like forever, and to lose it without trying seem too good to be true. I know that recovery from this surgery is tough and I don't mean to trivialize what some of you have gone through. It's just nice to know that I can recover in a smaller size!

Brandi
                Brandi
                Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
                Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
                L1-S1
                Dr. William Lauerman
                Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
                Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
                http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

weight loss

I lost about 10 pounds from the surgery. I tried to gain weight prior to the surgery, but was unsuccessful. I just have a speedy metabolism, and I am pretty thin anyway. I had trouble eating after the surgery, mainly due to the pain meds. My husband kept worrying that I was so thin and I kept trying to tell him it was the pain meds. As soon I got off of the pain meds, I was fine and could eat normal proportions of food. I gained back the weight within 3-6 months or so.
                  Heather
                  Heather
                  Surgery date: April 20, 2004
                  Anterior/posterior surgery
                  Fused T-11 to L-5
                  Pre op lumbar curve: 70 degrees, thoracic curve: 42 degrees
                  Post op lumbar curve: 19 degrees, thoracic curve: 18
                  Surgeon: Dr. Boachie-Adjei
                  Had successful pregnancy and birth 2 years post-op

Comment

Oh you all are sooo lucky...I've never in my life had to TRY to gain weight...lol

Comment

I guess I just have to be different. I did not lose weight after surgery (except the fluids they pumped into me). I also had three surgeries, anterior and posterior, T11-L5. I gained about 5 pounds after surgery, which was disheartening because I had lost 54 pounds PRIOR to surgery, but I think I have lost that again. (Be careful about dieting before, also. Eat stuff with plenty of iron. If your iron count is too low, it may delay surgery, and the WILL NOT take your own blood for surgery.) My doctor advised AGAINST dieting, so I'm not.

Good luck to all of you trying to gain weight....and all of you wanting to lose. I agree with consulting your surgeon regarding dieting. Linda

Comment

Hi JoAnn,

Just so you'll know...being thin is NOT all it's cracked up to be. I'd love to have a little cushion on my bones and especially my behind.

Kindest Regards,
                        Gail

Comment

Working...
                        X